Re: Tyre Survey

Postby gspy4u on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:17 am

Headley wrote:
gspy4u wrote:Size: 265/65/17
Brand: Nitto
Style: Terra Grappler G2
not fitted yet getting on monday.
Price: $156.75 per tyre fitted and balanced

Bob Jane has a sale on for this month of November Buy 3 Nitto tyres get one free.

So 265/65/17 G2's are $209 fitted and balanced which equals $627 for 4 tyres so your basically paying $156.75 per tyre.
Can't really go wrong with that I thought.

Just got a quote for the same tyres; Nitto Terra graplers.

No sizing though on the quote (but i did request 245/65/17), so maybe they will be the 265 width?

Also, these were quoted at about 250 each but also has the 4 for 3 deal, so about 750 for a set which i think is still pretty good

yeh i went with the 265's because they were much cheaper and they make the speedo almost spot on. Just have to remember that when your used to being 5k out all the time :-)
Changed the way it drives heaps. Not as gumby a feel to the steering. Little more road noise but not that bad.
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Headley on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:13 am

Would the 265's fit onto the standard GLXR rims?
Headley

Postby snakesoup on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:58 pm

yes
snakesoup

Postby deermaster on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:03 am

Headley wrote:Would the 265's fit onto the standard GLXR rims?

I have 265x70 x16 on my Triton. I got the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor and they have been a terrific tyre. Been in some of the worst places anyone would dare to drive and so far never had a puncture. I have now done over 75,000klms on them and still have a bit of tread left, enough to do another ten or fifteen thousand ks, but they getting a bit slippery on wet or damp roads if you give it to the truck. Ha ha maybe too much power. They are expensive now as I got them four for three at $297 each for three and a free one for no four. Their well over $300 each now.

Saw some BFG Allterrains for $275 each on google. How are they wearing for anyone that has them fitted please?? I like the look of the aggressive tread down the walls a bit
deermaster

Postby Headley on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:56 am

I ended up getting some Yokohama GO12's (i think) fitted; 265/65R17. They look awesome, no road noise at all up to 80 kays an hour, dunno about beyond that yet :)

Them along with a wheel alignment makes the ute feel great on the road.
Headley

Postby braydenc on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:21 pm

What Size? 265/75R16

Brand? Maxxis Bravo 980

Style? AT

Handle on Road? Plenty of grip good in the wet no real issues that I have found

Handle off road? Fantastic on the beach rocks and mud are OK but the tread is very wide for a AT so they actually do ok in the mud.

Price per tyre? 200 per tyre but thats mates rates

Wear & Tear? Great 80% with 16000 ks on them im rotating regularly 5000ks.
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:51 pm

gspy4u wrote:
Headley wrote:
gspy4u wrote:Size: 265/65/17

Bob Jane has a sale on for this month of November Buy 3 Nitto tyres get one free.

So 265/65/17 G2's are $209 fitted and balanced which equals $627 for 4 tyres so your basically paying $156.75 per tyre.

No sizing though on the quote (but i did request 245/65/17), so maybe they will be the 265 width?

Also, these were quoted at about 250 each but also has the 4 for 3 deal, so about 750 for a set which i think is still pretty good

yeh i went with the 265's because they were much cheaper and they make the speedo almost spot on. Just have to remember that when your used to being 5k out all the time :-)
Changed the way it drives heaps. Not as gumby a feel to the steering. Little more road noise but not that bad.

My Terra Grappler G2's have done almost 70,000km and still have a couple of mm tread left, except for the outside due to roundabouts. At $750 a set on special, I can't complain. Although they are A/Ts, off road grip isn't great in slippery stuff, so if there was a M/T version I'd like to give them a go.
Wet roads - non stop ASC kicking in, but if I turn it off I'll just do three-sixties. You get that with almost all 4x4 rubber I reckon.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby Maxiy on Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:59 pm

so if there was a M/T version I'd like to give them a go.

There is, its called the terrain Grappler, i have them. Seem great so far. No problems in the wet yet.
Maxiy

Postby moses on Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:17 pm

wildturkeycanoe wrote:
gspy4u wrote:
Headley wrote:[quote="gspy4u"]Size: 265/65/17

My Terra Grappler G2's have done almost 70,000km and still have a couple of mm tread left, except for the outside due to roundabouts. At $750 a set on special, I can't complain. Although they are A/Ts, off road grip isn't great in slippery stuff, so if there was a M/T version I'd like to give them a go.
Wet roads - non stop ASC kicking in, but if I turn it off I'll just do three-sixties. You get that with almost all 4x4 rubber I reckon.[/quote]

Benefit of super select...

Updated review of BFG KM2 265/75/16 on Glx alloy rims.

I like these tyres for the most part, good on road manners and great offroad.

Though they do get some wear on the lugs and side biters, not sure if this is from aggressive driving and punishing them but they definitely look used.

Will probably look to sell them on and try out the KM3 or nitto trail grapplers in a bigger size
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JamoGLXR on Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:24 pm

JamoGLXR wrote:What Size? 265/70/17 (load range E black sidewall, load range C has white sidewall lettering)

Brand? Kelly Safari TSR

Style? All terrain

Handle on Road? Good, they are still new, no tread compression. they seem to wander a bit compared to the ATZ 4ribs but we have terrible roads here, not much noise i can only just hear them

Handle off road? Good, only took them for a quick spin on rocky hard pack with alot of little stones on top. handled well, took on a easy black dirt hill climb with alot of little erosion ruts runnig acoss it and 2 sets of 6inch deep ruts. and it just walked up it cut between ruts when i asked and straddled where i had to.

Will run the same track after a bit of rain both way and rerate

Price per tyre? $330 a corner but only paid $320 since it took Kelly so long to "quality control" them.

Wear & Tear? Too early to tell.

Ill update this when i remember or as PM's remind me. ask away :)
so far i wish i bought these puppies first up but im expecting them to get louder

Ive had 2 sets of these now, around 95 thousand between the two sets and they still had around 30 thou left between the two sets. fresh tyres for long trips.
These guys were pretty quite, if they get loud its rotation time. I travel fairly quick across dirt and got 3 high country trips in plus a few other trips in the hills where locker and TC got a work out. Once again big trip coming up so upgraded to a set of STT Pro (cape york and high country excursions coming up in the next 5 months) it took some serious consideration to go away from the Safari's only reason i went for the Pro was a price i couldnt turn down.
On road performance was very good, once again i move quick on the black top. These must be a softer compound, i dont get crazy km claims like others but i had complete confidence both dry and wet.
Would recommend
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby destorman on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:59 am

FWIW, the D697 per the posts below have finally come to the end of their life. We got just over 20,000km out of them on the old 2010 MN, and have now just over 89,000, almost 90,000 out of them on the 2015 MN. So, yep, just on 110,000km out of them, but keep in mind they had bad wear from the front left, worn on the outside edge due to missing a rotation or too a while back when we had some family issues. Looking at the rest of the tread, there would be an easy 20,000, maybe even 40,000 left on the other, inside edge of the tyres.

We've been happy with them, so another set of D697 will go on today. Quoted between $215 and $190 ea. fitted and balance and between $67 and $55 for a wheel alignment. Kmart Tyre n auto the most expenses, Bob Jane the cheapest. Three phone calls and half hour and we're $112 better off overall. Pays to shop around!

destorman wrote: Still happy with these D697's ... so much so, that after just on 20,000km's of driving on them, we're going to swap them over onto the new 2015 Triton we will be getting later this week. I figure, these have at least 40,000km of tread left (i.e. that's about all the wear we'll get out of the factory fitted Dunlop AT's) so we may as well have the D697's on the new Triton :)

destorman wrote:Update time - 7000km on the D697 ... here's the history:

destorman wrote:Just had new tyres fitted on our 2010 MN GLX Triton (fitted to some ML 16" Alloys I picked up today) ... new pic's added to "our shed" ... BTW it's a stock GLX, (i.e. it had stock steel rims and still has stock suspension). It's had Maxxis 771's (225/75) for the past two years.

So, the new tyres are:

What Size? 245/70/16

Brand? Bridgestone D697

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) A/T

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise)

Very nice. Straight up it felt easier in the steering, like it was 'lighter', with less effort to turn the steering wheel (and for reference the old 771's were at 40 psi). Felt much "softer" and "smoother" than when the Maxxis 771's went on new (and they felt good coming off the stock H/T's which were 2years old and had 48,000kms wear) ... driving on various roads (smooth bitumen, concrete, rough old bitumen roads, etc) the difference is quite noticeable to the 771's (which admittedly were two years old and had 60,000km wear), but from best of memory, I don't remember them feeling this smooth when they were new ...

Road noise? ... Road Noise? ... Road Noise? (apologies to Ferris Bueller) ... what road noise! Again, the two year old 771's to these was noticeably quieter. These are nice. Slight hum on the concrete which the 771's never did, but it is very very slight, and I'm probably only picking it because there is nothing else to hear and maybe looking for a fault.

Overall the ride feels 'softer' and 'smoother', with possibly a tad bit of 'roll' when cornering at speed or swerving back and forth, but at no stage was it anywhere near a concern of confidence, they just gripped ... which brings me to the next bit.

Grip, oh gosh, they grip ... went around one of those full circle type on ramps onto the highway, which is usually a 60kmh corner at best, well I went past that and then some and felt very well "stuck" to the road. Totally dry road.

No wet weather today, so can't comment.

The only overriding comment is that it does feel a little 'sluggish' off the mark, which I'm guessing is the slightly bigger diameter that has to turn to get going, plus the extra tread that I'm not use to feeling.

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise)

So today I did a bit of gravel driving, and they felt great. In one spot, which has loose gravel around a corner that goes up a slight hill, that was always a spot to give it some right foot, let the tail drift a bit for some fun, well, I did not get that today, like nothing, nudda, zip, zero zilch ... and I did give it some boot, since I had already felt that sluggishness. (BTW, it's a corner where the speed and gear, 2nd gear, is just below the turbo kick) ... as I got toward the exit of the corner the turbo kicked, wheels slipped, but only just, like only just broke traction.

Tried sand too ... one spot, again I know where the 771's would sink and shudder to get through (at full road pressure), the 697's seemed to sink about 1/3 and crawled through with no shudder. The top sand was softish, and under was a bit harder from the recent rain, but, it was only two days ago I went on the same track with the 771's and it sank and shuddered, with the sand today the same as then ... keen to try in some super soft sand.

No mud, not in my usually driving.

Price per tyre?

$229 fitted and balance including free rotation, balance and pressure check every 10,000kms for first 50,000kms

Wear & Tear?

New, none.

Any other comments

Overall, very very happy, and glad we went the 697's rather than the Falken Wildpeaks. Price was good for the Wildpeaks, but with limited and sketchy reports on them, and from what I've read, not many people putting them on again, where as the 697's have a larger fan base and people who have had them and put them on again.

As noted above, 7000km on the D697's now, with a variety of driving.

On road, general every day driving from the around town stuff through to highway ... absolutely awesome. Quiet. Great handling, and great grip. Had to pull up quick, ABS kicked in and pulled the seat belts hard. No slip. Good grip. Stoked!

Note: If memory serves correct, when that happened once before we had the Maxxis on the rims and they slipped a did not seem to pull up anywhere near as quick. That would have been early in their wear too, around when we had about 60 or 70,000 kms on the Ute.

Offroad:

On gravel roads ... again great. Usually gradded and non gradded rural type gravel rounds at speeds between 40 and 80 kmh ... like all tyres, when in the really loose pebbly stuff the builds off the driving lines it slips, but, I do not recall any tyre ever holding and handling it as well as these. Big call? Or bad memory, Don't know, but am again stoked.

Sand ... from hard compact to light fluffy soft stuff. Gets through the soft stuff well. Even when I'm lazy and leave them at 40psi ... does tend to 'shudder' and bounce up and down in the back end in soft stuff ... soft of like a dig and bounce, to make it's way through (when at 40psi and in 2wd only) ... slip over to low 4wd and it crawls through no worries even at 40psi!

Absolutely no worries on the soft stuff at lower pressure (18psi) on the soft stuff, and even again when hitting the hard sand. Sidewall feel solid enough so no weird 'roll' or spoungy feeling. Has not been heavily loaded though, only light load of surfboards and surf / beach gear, etc.

All in all, would happily recommend the D697's and will be fitting them again.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby Spence on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:43 am

I just removed my 245/65R17 Kumho SAT KL61 A/T Passenger Construction tyres. They were a dream on the road - beautiful HW Tyre and competent Sand Tyre too. However they were taking a beating with some basic/beginner track work. I was not confident that they were going to go the distance so I made some plans.

First I wanted a taller tyre overall (but still legal) and secondly I wanted more sidewall for more bag out etc.
I had a spare set of 16"steelies but also scored a set of MN 16" Alloys for $100

End result was Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70R16 All Terrain Light Truck Construction I got the Buy 3 get one free from a Falken Dealer and got the set for $880 all up and they threw in a free used Bridgestone 265/70R16A/T for my spare. (Dog Tyred in Kallangur, QLD. Good blokes)

So far I have done about 1500 Km and I am very pleased - I expected them to be loud but they are not. Good hold in the wet and feel very good off-road. Show basically no sign of rough use after over an hour in the Bellthorpe State Forest. Taller gearing is barely noticeable with the 1" increase too.
Spence

Postby Lost1 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:50 pm

I was running stock 17" rims with road tyres. Fitted 285/75r16 Kumho MT51.

Done a couple of trips and completed one tyre rotation.

Happy with on road grip in the dry. Impressed with wet weather grip for an aggressive AT.

Haven't encountered any mud of note yet, but happy with off road performance so far. They can dig in a little bit on sand. Nothing a drop in tyre pressure can't fix.

Only done 10,000k, seem to be wearing quite well at the moment.
Lost1

Postby srb on Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:12 am

Just got a new set of mud tyres fitted to MN this week... 265/75r16 Maxxis Razr MTs
I love new tyres! I get so excited.

I'm so far pleasantly surprised with these new Maxxis muddies, on road they're one of the quieter muddies I've ever owned, not that I really care about the noise levels in the MN, just very noticeable compared with my previous Bridgestone MTs, the Bridgestones were horribly loud from day one and got worse with age, although they were great in the mud and performed well overall on and off road, same can be said for my Bfg km2s except they were quite when new. But like most muddies, when they get past 3years old, they get loud and don't perform well on wet sealed roads.

I've only done a weeks worth of driving on the new Maxxis, but I can already tell these are going to be a great tyre. Grip levels on wet roads are next level compared to my previous Bridgestone s, Bfgs or goodyears, that also includes previous At's as well.

Had them in the mud on Thursday, where I was working, did a 200km dirt/muddy stretch, mixture of high speed and small low range section, I wasn't aired down but they still gripped exceptionally well considering the conditions, not once did I lose control, and I was trying.

Edit.. Cost $304 each.

Wear and tear... will have to wait and see.Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:17 am

My second set of Fun bags are going well, think I've got about 15k on them now.

I've been impressed how well the Depend stay in balance. Just about all tyres that I've had on cars, vans and fourbys have needed a rebalance after 20k. These things just stay 'round'. :lol:

In terms of wear;. Original bridgestones, 40k,. Maxxis 771s about 60k, tread well down, got hard and slippery.

The first set of Fun bags, 129k on the clock (corrected distance probably nearer to 140k). Only got rotated a few times in six years. Towards the end they hardened up and we're getting a bit slippery on wet bitumen. Still had about 4mm tread.

We'll have to see how the second set hangs in there. It would be nice to have the luxury of a highway biased set of finite as these do 'sing' a little bit on the tarmac, but then you'd be under equipped if suddenly confronted with a bad stretch of track.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:07 am

RHKTriton wrote:My second set of Fun bags are going well, think I've got about 15k on them now.

What Tyres do you have ?
Maxiy

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotcha RHK.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Maxiy on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:00 pm

hahah i feel i have been had here :oops: :lol:
Maxiy

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:20 pm

Ruddy spell correction, how did Cepek change to Depend?

Seriously though, the Fun country jobbies have been great.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alpine triton on Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:57 pm

JamoGLXR wrote:
JamoGLXR wrote:What Size? 265/70/17 (load range E black sidewall, load range C has white sidewall lettering)

Brand? Kelly Safari TSR

Style? All terrain

Handle on Road? Good, they are still new, no tread compression. they seem to wander a bit compared to the ATZ 4ribs but we have terrible roads here, not much noise i can only just hear them

Handle off road? Good, only took them for a quick spin on rocky hard pack with alot of little stones on top. handled well, took on a easy black dirt hill climb with alot of little erosion ruts runnig acoss it and 2 sets of 6inch deep ruts. and it just walked up it cut between ruts when i asked and straddled where i had to.

Will run the same track after a bit of rain both way and rerate

Price per tyre? $330 a corner but only paid $320 since it took Kelly so long to "quality control" them.

Wear & Tear? Too early to tell.

Ill update this when i remember or as PM's remind me. ask away :)
so far i wish i bought these puppies first up but im expecting them to get louder

Ive had 2 sets of these now, around 95 thousand between the two sets and they still had around 30 thou left between the two sets. fresh tyres for long trips.
These guys were pretty quite, if they get loud its rotation time. I travel fairly quick across dirt and got 3 high country trips in plus a few other trips in the hills where locker and TC got a work out. Once again big trip coming up so upgraded to a set of STT Pro (cape york and high country excursions coming up in the next 5 months) it took some serious consideration to go away from the Safari's only reason i went for the Pro was a price i couldnt turn down.
On road performance was very good, once again i move quick on the black top. These must be a softer compound, i dont get crazy km claims like others but i had complete confidence both dry and wet.
Would recommend

I can vouch for these tyres having just done 70,000km on a set without looking after them too well. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore as i believe Goodyear bought Kelly out - as they were direct competition for the wranglers.
I have just fitted a set of 265/75/16 Dick Cepek Extreme Country 2's - so far reasonably quiet on the road for a Mud tyre.
Adam.
alpine triton

Previous

Return to Tyres & Wheels