Tyre Survey

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Tyre Survey

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:43 pm

Sorry Guys, havent been posting much lately,

So far have done 11000km on the Grabbers and so far have been really happy with them, bearing in mind though all of that mileage has been on the black top. The handling has been better than the BFG, much harder to break traction than before, noise in comparable but overall handling they have been better.

at this stage i wouldnt hesitate putting them on again, but in time and some off road i will make a better informed decision on that.

Cheers
Lee-thal

Postby DJ82 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:29 am

What Size?265/70/17

Brand?Mickey Thompson ATZ P3

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T)A/T

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise)Good Grip, about the same noise as BFG all terrain

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise)Really good off road, better than my old cooper stt's

Price per tyre? (if you want)$390 fitted and balanced

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing)have only done 4500k still like brand new
DJ82

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:08 pm

The truck finally got its new treads.

After much research finally settled on Cepec fun country lls. 265 75 16.

Can tell ya on taller tread blocks than the maxxis 771 they replaced.

Speedo now reading 1kph slow, noise good, engine revs better on cruising.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby PhillipJ on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:32 pm

This thread has a lot of useful info but it's a bit difficult to make sense of so I've gone through the posts and put stuff that's useful to me into a spreadsheet. I looked at the number of people who had a type of tyre, if they liked it (surprise - almost anyone who has paid for a thing says the like it!), if it had been used off road and if it had been used long term. I decided "long term" was 20,000+ km. I also ignored tyres where people said things like "just ordered these" or "just drove back from the tyre place, really like them".

Full spread sheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Top few are below:
BF Goodrich A/T: 12 users, 11 like them, 1 doesn't like them, 8 people have had them long term, 11 had used them off road. A few said they're slippery when >50% worn

Maxxis Bighorn: 11 users, everyone likes them, 3 long-term users, 9 said they used them off road but they're muddies, surely everyone has taken them off road?

Cooper ST: 10 users, 9 like them, 1 doesn't like them, 4 long term users, 8 people had them off road. Person who didn't like said slippery when >50% worn

Bridgestone 694 : 7 users, all like them. 3 long term users, 4 off road users.

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ: 7 users, all like them, 1 long-term, 4 off road users.

Cooper STT: 6 users, 5 like them, 3 long term, all took them off road.

Bridgestone 697: 6 users, all like them. 3 long-term, 5 took them off road.

I was leaning toward the Bridgestone 697 as it seems to be a bit more blacktop biased for an AT tyre but I can't find them in the size I want :-/
PhillipJ

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:05 pm

A useful reminder that not many of us come back after high mileage to comment.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Homer on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:01 pm

Yes great stuff Phillip.

For mine I'd say I've never had a better road tyre than the Bridgestone D694 I got easily 100K out of them too which surprised me for such a high grip tyre.

That said, they are no longer available. The 697's I've replaced them with are probably only about 10K now but seem to be nearly as good. I don't use them off road as such but found them very good on sandstone type rock (Wheeny Creek material if anyone knows what that is?) and as bad as any AT in the mud.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby tezza08 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:08 am

tezza08 wrote:What Size? 265/75R16

Brand? MAXXIS BUCKSHOT MUDDER
Style? MT

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) .find them very god for grip on road in dry or wet, yes thay are noisiy but not as loud as induction noise from snorckle with window down :twisted:

Handle off road? dig a bit to much in sand and a bit drifty on fast gravel but very good in mud :D
Wear & Tear? got 70k out of a set of 33's on my old hilux so hope to get the same ;)

Would you buy again? i did :lol:

On to my 3rd set now, got 60k from last ones with 5mm tread left, using the old ones for spares. Still very happy with them.
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional! :twisted:
tezza08

Postby Earlyninja on Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Earlyninja wrote:>What size? P265/70r16
>Brand? Federal Couragia
>Style? A/T 70-30 (P not LT)
>Handle on Road? Excellent road grip, quieter than stock Bridgestone Dueler H/T. Good wet weather handling. Resists tyre spin. Very bump absorbent on stock 16*7 rims @ 38psi. Pliable sidewall reduces sudden cornering ability. LT version might fix that.
>Handling Off-road? Not great in mud due to lack of side lugs, sure footed on dirt.
>Price per Tyre? Unsure of retail price :oops:
>Wear and Tear? Fairly soft compound rubber. Travelled 3000 km and rears have only just started to show more wear than the fronts. No chips or broken tread. Would probably get 60-80K km.
>Would you buy again? Yes. Very comfortable and easy to fit and balance.

got 50,000km out of these tyres when wear markers started to wear down. By the end they were noisy and rubber chipped off after a trip on dirt road.
Earlyninja

Postby flatcountrymick on Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Forgive a newbie for telling old hands to suck eggs, but I'm not gunna read 23 pages to find different. Am I right in thinking a lot of this info is not really useful unless you include your suspension mods. I have put a deposit on an my2014 and I am positove a lot of the tyre sizes quoted will not fit without serious modifications? (Thus voiding warranty)

For the record I have ran bfg km2's, simex centerpedes, bfg at's, cooper at's and silverstone mt117 extremes (simex ripoffs) on previous vehicles in much larger sizes than I am going to get away with in my new bus I have ran 2 sets most recently. bfg at's over summer and simex pedes during hunting season.

I plan to run the OE duellers until I get a spare set of wheels and get bfg km2's over winter. Anyone with suggestions of where/how to get spare wheels that will fit the newie cheap in SE Melb much appreciated.
Looking at the FORUM DIRECTORY...
flatcountrymick

Postby fridgie on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:19 pm

flatcountrymick wrote:Forgive a newbie for telling old hands to suck eggs, but I'm not gunna read 23 pages to find different. Am I right in thinking a lot of this info is not really useful unless you include your suspension mods. I have put a deposit on an my2014 and I am positove a lot of the tyre sizes quoted will not fit without serious modifications? (Thus voiding warranty)

For the record I have ran bfg km2's, simex centerpedes, bfg at's, cooper at's and silverstone mt117 extremes (simex ripoffs) on previous vehicles in much larger sizes than I am going to get away with in my new bus I have ran 2 sets most recently. bfg at's over summer and simex pedes during hunting season.

I plan to run the OE duellers until I get a spare set of wheels and get bfg km2's over winter. Anyone with suggestions of where/how to get spare wheels that will fit the newie cheap in SE Melb much appreciated.

First post and you can't be stuffed looking things up yourself.

That won't get you much help around here so grab a beer, hit the forum directory or search button and start reading champ.

It's bloody easy to find. Try making an effort and I'll be more helpful.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Homer on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:58 pm

ALL 32's or smaller mentioned here will fit without any suspension mods. 33's will also just fit if you work out the offset required...search will find that offset.

Eggs sucked.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:13 pm

Oh and you can run simex tyres on the triton in large diameters, like homer said pick the offset

Yep might not be good for warranty but that is up to you how far you want to push the triton

They are very capable with a good set of tyres and lockers
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby flatcountrymick on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks guys. Read pages 23-17 so far fridgie, 2 mentions of suspension mods champ.
flatcountrymick

Postby viking shippy on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:42 pm

Gee these emu eggs are huge...
Get a lift mate and you can fitt up to 33s
Stock suspension don't last long and seriously
Just don't cut it if your serious about your fourby....
I guess why people are telling you to read the posts is that there is so
Many choices and variables with setting up your rig.
Tires were not my first choice in mods either..
Egr block
On board air
Air cleaner
Catch can
Canopy
Bash plates
2"lift
Bulbar
Rear bar
Tyres.......<-----------
2nd set of Rims +muddys
snorkel
Side rails
Canopy draws
Ext....if you get what I mean...
Each to his own
As fridgie said telling the older well established triton gurus
To suck eggs certainly won't get you help in a hurry...
After all we have made all the mistakes and all you have to do is read up and come to your own informed decision.....or ask researched questions...
That's what i did...and that's why tyres were way down the list....
viking shippy

Postby Mark3413 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:16 pm

viking shippy wrote:Gee these emu eggs are huge...
Get a lift mate and you can fitt up to 33s
Stock suspension don't last long and seriously
Just don't cut it if your serious about your fourby....
I guess why people are telling you to read the posts is that there is so
Many choices and variables with setting up your rig.
Tires were not my first choice in mods either..
Egr block
On board air
Air cleaner
Catch can
Canopy
Bash plates
2"lift
Bulbar
Rear bar
Tyres.......<-----------
2nd set of Rims +muddys
snorkel
Side rails
Canopy draws
Ext....if you get what I mean...
Each to his own
As fridgie said telling the older well established triton gurus
To suck eggs certainly won't get you help in a hurry...
After all we have made all the mistakes and all you have to do is read up and come to your own informed decision.....or ask researched questions...
That's what i did...and that's why tyres were way down the list....

I agree, better to get tyres after some other mods. Especially any suspension lifts.
Mark3413
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bstarmotorsport on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:53 am

What Size? 285/75/16

Brand? Federal courgia's

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T). M/T

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise). Dry condition on road there awesome - wet conditions a little skatey if your heavy on the pedal through corners ! :D Noisey after 10k of wear

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) great handling off road ! Good side traction and displaces mud better than most other high branded tyres

Price per tyre? (if you want). $250 fitted at ace tyre and mechanical Tingalpa

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) I've put over 55k on them now they do need rotating every 5 k just to keep them even - I have about 7mm tread still left on them in the shallowest part of the tread .
Over all I will by these again but 305/70/16 next time 8-)
RULES ARE MEANT TO BE BROKEN !!!! AND TRUCKS ARE MEANT TO BE LIFTED
bstarmotorsport

Postby MAT748 on Mon May 19, 2014 5:59 am

What Size? 265/75/16

Brand? Nexen Roadian

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) M/T

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Dry - Excellent (no squeals) Wet - Fair - Noise - Initially I really noticed it, not so much after a week or two.

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) Excellent over rocks, more than happy in the mud, self clean well with a little blip of the throttle. Noise - Who cares

Price per tyre? (if you want) $199 a corner fitted and balanced

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) to soon to know
MAT748

Postby GLX58 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:12 pm

What Size? 245/70/R16

Brand? Bridgestone D697

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T). A/T

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise). Far superior to the standard HT's. Excellent grip in the dry. Very good in the wet and only really step out at the rear if pushing it. Very quiet, can barely hear the difference.

Running 39psi front, 36psi rear (removes the slight rear end instability from the crappy leaf springs.)

If interested in the laden weight, car is running a canopy, towbar kit, heavy duty bash plates.

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) Very good off road on dirt, gravel, sand (only limited light sand experience so far though). great grip for a not overly wide tyre (i've gone for lame 245's as car is on lease). Have handled everything without fuss so far, including some very steep climbs at low speed over bumps and ruts (no wheelspin). My car isn't setup for full offroad, this is a fishing tourer but goes to some places sometimes that are definitely 4wd only!

I've found airing down for dirt driving is a good idea if it's any fair length of track, highway pressures can make the rear slightly skatey on corrugations.

Quite good in mud also. Limited experience there but could not stop them in fairly greasy mud a fair few inches thick. Clear mud very well for an A/T. Alot More 'claggy' mud or constant slow driving for awhile though thick mud see's them eventually clog up and lose traction, but then again these are not a mud tire and so don't perform like one.

I generally only air down to about 25psi also for this.

Price per tyre? (if you want). I think I paid about $230 a tire fitted.

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) Very well. 21k in, still have loads of tread. Rotating every 7500km.

Will buy again for sure, next time going bigger once off lease .
GLX58

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:37 pm

Nice post mate, that would have taken a while to type out.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby flatcountrymick on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:37 pm

Size:31x9.5r16

Brand:Simex

Style:Jungle tekker2 (elite MT)

Handle on road:Shithouse. Noisey as hell 0km-90km. Traction control light has been coming on all week. Only a matter of time for ABS incident in the wet if not 100% careful.

Handle offroad: AWESOME! Exactly as they are designed. Still noisy on gravel but steer well. Perfect in mud and on rock.

Price: $310 a corner fitted (That's right!)

Wear and tear: Will be lucky to get 50 000km out of them but for that price and what they can do in the bush, who cares.

Comments: I got these as a second set as BFG KM2 in 16" are almost the same. Currently driving 15km to work daily. These tyres will be on winter only. Highway pressure 35-40psi. Bush pressure 20psi. I have a rattle gun and a trolley jack so they might end up on Thursday night, off Sunday arvo.
flatcountrymick

Postby RixTrix on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:50 pm

Fitting the newesh Toyo Open Country A/T II LT245/70R17 today 11 Jun 14.
Toyo deal of buy 4 and get 5th free was too good to pass.
Will be driving from Townsville to Toowoomba tomorrow so that will be a good test for highway use.
Hopefully they perform well, they look good for an A/T.
RixTrix

Postby mitzikatzi on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:57 pm

RixTrix wrote:Fitting the newesh Toyo Open Country A/T II LT245/70R17 today 11 Jun 14.
Toyo deal of buy 4 and get 5th free was too good to pass.
Will be driving from Townsville to Toowoomba tomorrow so that will be a good test for highway use.
Hopefully they perform well, they look good for an A/T.

save you searching Toyo Open Country A/T II
mitzikatzi

Postby mIwoo on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:21 pm

mIwoo wrote:
mIwoo wrote:What Size? LT 245/75/R16

Brand? Maxxis Bighorn 764

Style? all muddy baby.

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) So far grip is excellent... left my old 751's for dead... on every type of terrain! a little noisy, especially low speed or going around corners, but that's muddies. when i first started driving on them the day i got them id forgotten what it was like driving muddies all the time and it felt like as i was driving i could feel the road tearing up, leaving rubble behind. stupid to think i know but the feel of the traction was incredible. even in the wet these are much better than my old 751's.

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) exceptional!!! now i just 'point and shoot' so to speak. In the mud im going places in 2 high where before I needed 4 low. nice feeling not slipping and sliding around corners in the mud. lol. yet to try on sand and snow.

Price per tyre? (if you want) maxxis state $364/tyre is full retail. Got quoted $305.

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) Too early to tell.

Ill update this further in another 10 000 kms to see how they are going.

So after 5000 kms what can i add...
well best on road pressure is 40 psi.
off road 25 psi pretty much does it.
the traction offroad is awesome, just pure awesome. i would love to test them against the km2.
on road at optimum pressure- a little bumpy (more so again when roads are bumpy, broken) but otherwise good, good steering, light dull hum on the roads- however going slow and around corners you hear them pretty well.
these still have more traction on road in the wet than the old 751's.
under dry breaking they are about the same as the old 751's.
under breaking in the wet these really amazed me. unladed, sudden stop at like 40 km's/hr (standard break lines) and these really impressed me. no squishing, squeling or anything. just stopped.
on road pressures on corrogated, unsealed road it felt a little skittish but thats because I was travelling to fast and i reckon the pressures were too high for the road.
still impressed.

Today I retired these bad boys... and I am still impressed with these tyres. Changed over to an AT to meet needs.

Got 50 000 km out of these... and they still had 5 mm of legal tread.
In the last 3-4000 kms they started getting slightly noisier, but still didn't bother me (basically silent compared to previous buckshots I have driven on)- still couldn't hear them over wind noise. Mostly noisy around town up to 80 odd kms/hr.
Just starting to get a little slippery inroad in the wet- for the first time in the life of the tyres. Only started about 1500 kms ago or so.
Tonnes of grip on all other surfaces though.
If i was going a muddy again, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. These are tough tyres. Ive taken them off to put onto my camping trailer and a feed trailer on the farm.

Now, for those D697's....
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby mIwoo on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:31 pm

:shock: NEW BOOTS!!!! :D

Bridgestone D697 - LT265/70R16
AT (70/30) pattern.

$212.25 a tyre :o :D

Seems nice to drive on.

Compared to M MT764's, I am now aware how tough, heavy and well constructed the 764's were. And how good the MT road manners were :o

Interested to see how they go. After serious research, these tyres should be the ducks guts (for a road based AT).

Only reason I didn't go the maxis at980 was pure cost. M AT980 was $266 ea.
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby xagtho on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:55 pm

What Size? 33x12.5R15

Brand? Nankang mudstar

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) MT

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) very good grip, moderate noise, induce a little more body roll

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) very good grip, reasonable self cleaning

Price per tyre? (if you want) 205

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) retired at 100k
xagtho

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels