Tyre Survey

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Tyre Survey

Postby Mongrel on Fri May 31, 2013 7:29 pm

What Size? - 265x70x17

Brand? - Maxxis

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) - LT 762 Bighorns

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) - Just got them - A little noisy - but I ride a Harley - So I like noise!!! :mrgreen:

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) Don't know yet.

Price per tyre? (if you want) $259 per corner

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) Don't know yet - brand new!
Ain't Nothing Like a Mongrel. :twisted:
Mongrel

Postby YLD-15T on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 am

What Size? 285/75 R16

Brand? Nitto

Style? Trail Grappler M/T

Handle on Road? Grippy. Bit noisy above 80Km/h. Nothing that bothers me.

Handle off road? Awesome!

Price per tyre? $360 each. Sydney.

Wear & Tear? Seem to be wearing quite well. Will update later as they are recent additions.

These tyres replaced my worn out Mickey Thompson ATZ 4rib (Prob got around 75-80K Kms). After much research i went for the Trail Grapplers (wanted an aggressive looking tyre) as they were suppose to be one of the grippiest M/T tyres on wet roads. VERY happy with my purchase, these are probably more grippy than the Mickeys i previously had. Bear in mind my Triton weighs around 2450kg on a daily basis so that probably helps with grip issues in the wet. They are noisier on road than the mickeys but hard to compare accurately as my mickeys were like slicks when i replaced them.
After a recent day trip up to Zig Zag, the tyres performed awesome off road. Having the extra diff clearance of the 33s definitely a plus. Hopefully i will get decent wear out of them.
YLD-15T

Postby macca002 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:20 pm

What Size? 265/75 R16
Brand? Hankook
Style? Dynapro M/T
Handle on Road? Much better than my bighorns. Can 'just' hear them on the road.
Handle off road? Great. Dont chip and clear well. Only took the new set out for a quick play but the Triton went wherever I pointed it.
Price per tyre? $290 each.
Wear & Tear? I have had these before on another 4x4 and wore surprisingly well. Expecting around 50K+ out of this set.
macca002

Postby GLR2012 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:24 am

265 75 16
697 bridgestone ATR
265 a tire
Fantastic tire I've heard cant wait to get them in 10 days. Spoken to 5 different people and they recon they are almost a mud tire. For the price can't beat them. Coopers are just to expensive
GLR2012

Postby tezza08 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:01 am

tezza08 wrote:What Size? 265/75R16

Brand? MAXXIS BUCKSHOT MUDDER
Style? MT

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) .find them very god for grip on road in dry or wet, yes thay are noisiy but not as loud as induction noise from snorckle with window down :twisted:

Handle off road? dig a bit to much in sand and a bit drifty on fast gravel but very good in mud :D
Wear & Tear? got 70k out of a set of 33's on my old hilux so hope to get the same ;)

Would you buy again? i did :lol:

Time for an update,
not as impressed as i was with the old set of 33's. 45k and im starting to look for a new set of boots :evil:
wear is very un even but that could be due to 85k old suspention :?
All in all i probably wont be getting them again, i might give the bighorns a run :D
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional! :twisted:
tezza08

Postby macca002 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:11 am

tezza08 wrote:

Style? MT

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) .find them very god for grip on road in dry or wet, yes thay are noisiy but not as loud as induction noise from snorckle with window down :twisted:

Handle off road? dig a bit to much in sand and a bit drifty on fast gravel but very good in mud :D
Wear & Tear? got 70k out of a set of 33's on my old hilux so hope to get the same ;)

Time for an update,
not as impressed as i was with the old set of 33's. 45k and im starting to look for a new set of boots :evil:
All in all i probably wont be getting them again, i might give the bighorns a run :D

Bighorns will most likely give you the same outcome. The compound with the new bighorn style is softer. Makes for better offroading, but do wear down faster.

The original buckshots and bighorns wore like iron, the newer ones unfortunately do not - which is why I moved away from them
macca002

Postby har05l on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:56 pm

macca002 wrote:
tezza08 wrote:

Style? MT

Time for an update,

Bighorns will most likely give you the same outcome. The compound with the new bighorn style is softer. Makes for better offroading, but do wear down faster.

The original buckshots and bighorns wore like iron, the newer ones unfortunately do not - which is why I moved away from them

I got 80k out of mine macca and they were punished severely :twisted:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Must have been the older compound. I got similar from first set, about half the distance from second set - same driving style
macca002

Postby Mongrel on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:53 am

Yep... Me mate did 50K in his Bighorns - but I will be happy with that! :)
Mongrel

Postby hvac guy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:28 am

265/65/17 Bridgestone d697 on a mn glxr auto
No different in fuel economy, road feel heaps better
Handling heaps better, and no more shimmy
Great in the wet and dry.

290 each

would I buy again yes
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLR2012 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:07 pm

ok, quick question about the tires, i can not make my mind up on the size, 265 70 16 for a glr with a 3in lift or 265 75 16. My issue is, will the 265 75 16 affect the driveability, stress strain and tension on the driving components, im a tradie and the bridgestone guy mentioned to me for the work i do, ( towing my 1.2t trailer and loaded ute ), going the bigger size tires 265 75 16 might put excess stress on the driving components as opposed to 265 70 16. Has anyone been through a similar issue like i have. Obviously i want the bigger tire but am happy to settle for the smaller as the 2 different tire sizes cost the same. I dont want to put them on and something to stuff up.
any help greatly appreciated.
Clint
GLR2012

Postby trouble on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:25 pm

265/75/16 will be and are fine, had them since new, 80k on clock now.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:29 pm

The difference between the two is pretty small (5% of 265mm) so I wouldn't get too worried about it. I noticed you said a 3 inch lift though. Most are lifted 2 inches - I would have thought 3 inches would be likely to be worse than bigger tyres.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby GLR2012 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:50 pm

yeah i had to get it done for work reasons, load capacity isnt 1T standard, i got it beefed up and driveshafts done as well to get the capacity over 1T. Im just a little worried of the driving components failing with the bigger rubber thats all. its under heavy loads monday to friday
GLR2012

Postby aids84 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:05 am

What Size? 265/75R16

Brand? Maxxis

Style? Bighorn

Handle on Road? Feels a lot more planted and the steering feels more precise than the stock H/T's, probably due to beefier construction. Noise is a slight hum at highway speeds, not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Might even get quieter once they wear in a bit.

Handle off road? Great, went for quick play in the old quarry up the road and walked up a wet climb in 2WD that would've been a struggle in 4WD with the stock tyres. Rubber compound doesn't feel too hard so should grip on rocks pretty well also.

Price per tyre? $275 fitted and balanced

Wear & Tear? Too early to tell, If I get 50,000 kms out of them i'll be happy.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mongrel on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:14 am

Just an update.

Loving the Bighorns, but they are noisy.

My Mrs reckons they sound like a Yodeller!! LOL!!

Speedo is now dead accurate, and the Odometer is 5km less per 100k. So 5%. HAPPY!
Mongrel

Postby goatio on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:55 pm

does anyone have a review on mickey Thompson 265 75 16 atz as i'm pretty interested .
I've been quoted $290 each f&b .
any thoughts would be welcome.
:?:
goatio

Postby goatio on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:19 am

goatio wrote:does anyone have a review on mickey Thompson 265 75 16 atz as i'm pretty interested .
I've been quoted $290 each f&b .
any thoughts would be welcome.
:?:

Doh ! Just found the thread, lol
goatio

Postby GLR2012 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:27 am

265 70 16
Bridgestone atr 697
Fantastic tire so far. Can not fault it. Great stopping and grip on the road. Very aggressive tread pattern for an atr.
255 a tire fitted balanced rotated and aligned fronts.
GLR2012

Postby Tony on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:55 am

Update on Coopers AT3 265/70/17.

Run at average 42psi for around 30,000ks Still very quiet for an A/T.

Have worn edges down, getting very slippery on wet black top and in particular very poor on stopping. :(

With recommendation, I dropped running pressures down to 34 psi with a marked improvement on above but has made them squirmy when towing over 2 tonne. Quite scary till you get used to it. :roll:

Still cant fault them for dirt/gravel roads nor off round for an A/T. Very good grip and excellent lateral stability at higher speeds.

Would I run them again? 50/50.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:32 pm

That's interesting on the stopping distance Tony - IIRC correctly when $wdaction did their tyre comparo a while back the AT3 had one of the longest stopping distances in the test. I'm assuming they were testing new tyres too. That was enough to put them off any future shopping list for me.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Speedy70 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:39 am

What Size? 265/70 R16
Brand? Hankook
Style? Dynapro ATM RF10
Handle on Road? Awesome
Handle off road? Excellent. Haven't had these ones offroad yet but they replaced another set of Dynapro ATM's which worked great offroad, so these should be no different
Noise? Pretty much no noise. The old ones had a little bit of noise so these might get noisier as they wear
Price per tyre? $199 each F&B at JAX
Wear & Tear? Not sure but judging by the last set, atleast 60K.

Verdict. Hard to beat for the price. Most of my driving is on bitumen and the wet road grip is awesome. Very happy with these tyres. :)
Speedy70
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLR2012 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Took my 265 70 16 bridgestone 697 off into some nice mud and they dug reasonably well. So far I'm extremely happy and had a few people ask me how much my " muddies " we're. They were very surprised when I mentioned they were atr only and 250 each.
GLR2012

Postby fraz91 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:48 pm

fraz91 wrote:What Size? 265/70 R17

Brand? BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A

Style? LT, Aggressive AT

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Arguably quieter than the stock duellers. grip is fantastic, just have to find what the best pressure is for them (currently running 40psi all round, and the tyre is a little too rounded for my liking)

Handle off road? For an AT tyre they're fantastic. couple of friends have the Coopers ATR's and the BFG makes mince-meat out of the ATR.

Wear & Tear? Have only done about 1000kms so far, but the nipples are still all there, so can't complain about them. That being said, a friend's dad got 120,000kms out of a set on a '00 100series. drove around Aus. about 5 or 6 times with them, and still uses two of them as the spares.

Would you buy again? They are pricey (cheapest i could find was $330/tyre) but if they last as long as those on the 100series then i'll definitely consider them. Also depends on whether or not I decide i want a more aggressive style (MT/Crawler) or not.

Well, after 98,000kms I've retired the BFG's. All four tyres were still perfectly legal, with the worst about 2mm off needing replacement. I've kept the best two (5mm and 4mm) as spares in case something happens to the new tyres.

The biggest issue with these (that I found anyway) is how quickly they harden. For the first 20,000kms they're great, grip extremely well in all conditions. After that though, driving in the wet is like driving on ice half the time. It's not fun when you don't know whether you'll be able to turn or not, although they never let me down when I needed to stop in a hurry. They took me most places the guys with muddies would go, and in that time only had 1 puncture and 1 sidewall go bang.

Would I buy them again? Maybe. If I was constantly on dirt roads then yes, but driving on bitumen most of the time makes them a little undesirable.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby fraz91 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Size- P265/70 R17

Brand- Pirelli Scorpion STR

Style- Road Tyre

Handle on Road- (Grip/noise) Great handling, smooth and comfortable at 40psi, no slipping in the wet so far. :D

Handle off road- Not too bad, hopeless in mud, but pretty good on rocks (I'm guessing soft compound)

Wear & Tear- Have done about 2,000kms on them so far and still have the molding studs on the shoulders, so pretty good thus far.

Would you buy again? Time will tell, but they were fairly cheap ($225ea, fitted & balanced) so will probably consider them again unless I downsize slightly.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels