Tyre Survey

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Tyre Survey

Postby Amaroo on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:17 am

macca002 wrote:
NowForThe5th wrote:I'm impressed at how the corners of the tread blocks are still so square and sharp. Shaping up well for a good long life. ;)

Of course, most people use a ruler or tape. :roll: Have you had the key calibrated lately Macca? :lol: :lol:

Cheers 5th. You have just reminded me that I really should to get my veneers out to see if the key is still within tolerance :P

But yes, the tyres are wearing down like iron. I have found in the past that sometimes if a compound is too hard, they chip easily, but so far I haven't had any issues with chipping.

The writing on the sidewalls are starting to look a bit tired after being rubbed up against rocks/ruts/mud for the last 12 months. I am not too fussed though, as the sidewalls are usually in the red/brown colour range anyways - depending on where I have been.

My only gripe is that they dont seem to bag as well as other tyres when I do let the air out, probably a result of their sidewall thickness. 26psi in the 'kooks looks close to 32psi in my mates MTZs. Easiest way to get around this is to just let more air out 8-)

My DynaPro MT's have done about 15,000km now and are in great shape too. Funny you mention about needing to let a bit more air out to get them to bag out, I noticed the same thing and tend to go pretty low compared to my old BFGoodrich's.
Pretty sur the size we run has the most ply in the sidewall out of the whole range of sizes they do.

I rotate mine every 5000km because I live in the land of roundabouts and I'll wear the left side outside edge down quicker if I don't. At this stage I'll be getting them again when the time comes.
Amaroo

Postby emjayar on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:38 pm

I'm not sure anyone is familiar with this story but the main reason I didn't go for any super expensive tyres is because of a local hooligan. Because we have had a tyre slasher...

The Infamous Narrabundah Tyre Slasher... They have been slashing tyres for over 4 years in my Canberra neighbourhood. They reckon that they hit about 4-6 tyres a week over that time. So if we average 5 tyres at 200 dollars a tyre per week over 4 years its almost a quarter of a million dollars worth of damage.

Yes I am aware that AT and MT tyres are tougher to pierce but my family and neighbours have been subjected to the pain in the arse of having to replace a couple of tyres. Some of which were were less than a thousand Ks old.

In recent weeks, they believe to have caught the culprit...
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

Postby Amaroo on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:44 pm

emjayar wrote:I'm not sure anyone is familiar with this story but the main reason I didn't go for any super expensive tyres is because of a local hooligan. Because we have had a tyre slasher...

The Infamous Narrabundah Tyre Slasher... They have been slashing tyres for over 4 years in my Canberra neighbourhood. They reckon that they hit about 4-6 tyres a week over that time. So if we average 5 tyres at 200 dollars a tyre per week over 4 years its almost a quarter of a million dollars worth of damage.

Yes I am aware that AT and MT tyres are tougher to pierce but my family and neighbours have been subjected to the pain in the arse of having to replace a couple of tyres. Some of which were were less than a thousand Ks old.

Was the tyre slasher that nutcase Alexander Bailiff who lives in your suburb? Google him if you haven't come across him before.
Amaroo

Postby AussieAnth on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:59 am

Another thumbs up for Hankook Dynapro M/T's.

This review, although American & focused more around huge wheels, helped turn me to the Dynapro's. 1st place out of 10 muddies tested.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/129-1104-mud-tire-shootout-first-place-hankook-dynapro-mt/

What Size? 265/70/16

Brand? Hankook

Style? Dynapro M/T

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Grip is decent on bitumen. No issues so far. Did have to adjust my driving style a bit as they will wander at speed when cornering. Noise is fairly good in a straight line, bit noisy around corners. I've read that due to less than average sipping, they aren't great on wet bitumen compared to some muddies.

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) Excellent grip. Only slippage so far was a very steep and greasy descent (Steep Track, near Lake Eildon)

Price per tyre? $210 + fitting.

Wear & Tear? nearly new so can't tell, but all reviews point to them wearing very well despite having a softer compound than many.
Last edited by AussieAnth on Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY13 GLX Plus pack dual cab Triton.

My MN & ML Triton WORKSHOP MANUAL page on DropBox. Take a look.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mmyqr05gb8c8hgv/eKE4W216Dj

FORUM DIRECTORY
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8230
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:43 am

emjayar wrote:I'm not sure anyone is familiar with this story but the main reason I didn't go for any super expensive tyres is because of a local hooligan. Because we have had a tyre slasher...

that sounds like great business for the tyre shops.... they'll all go broke now that he has been caught.
DocBassett

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:35 am

Hi guys I'm looking at getting either the kelly safari tsr or general grabber SRL. Anybody have any comments on either of these? Size I will be getting is 285/70/17
chrisdoherty87

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:29 am

chrisdoherty87 wrote:Hi guys I'm looking at getting either the kelly safari tsr or general grabber SRL. Anybody have any comments on either of these? Size I will be getting is 285/70/17

G'day Chris,
l got the Kelly's 2-3 months back (265/75/16), most impressed but haven't done a lot of Km's on them as yet so can't really comment on wear / tear. They are very quiet on the bitumen and the few times l've been out playing (30% sand / 70% dirt) couldn't fault them, the only real test was a small hill climb in Dwelly state forest after a fair amount of rain, didn't even look like slipping.
Down side is they are stone collectors, you'll throw most once on the bitumen, small pair of pliers takes care of the rest but l guess that's the price for a very aggressive tread. l was also impressed with the price compared to other brands with similar tread / size, they are getting very good reviews in the USA.
DocBassett has been running these for a while (don't think his with us any more), also think his running 285/70/17's as well, might be worth giving him a PM. He told me they were the best A/T's his used.
Hope this is of some assistance,
Dave
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JamoGLXR on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:13 am

explorer.dave wrote:
chrisdoherty87 wrote:Hi guys I'm looking at getting either the kelly safari tsr or general grabber SRL. Anybody have any comments on either of these? Size I will be getting is 285/70/17

G'day Chris,
l got the Kelly's 2-3 months back (265/75/16), most impressed but haven't done a lot of Km's on them as yet so can't really comment on wear / tear. They are very quiet on the bitumen and the few times l've been out playing (30% sand / 70% dirt) couldn't fault them, the only real test was a small hill climb in Dwelly state forest after a fair amount of rain, didn't even look like slipping.
Down side is they are stone collectors, you'll throw most once on the bitumen, small pair of pliers takes care of the rest but l guess that's the price for a very aggressive tread. l was also impressed with the price compared to other brands with similar tread / size, they are getting very good reviews in the USA.
DocBassett has been running these for a while (don't think his with us any more), also think his running 285/70/17's as well, might be worth giving him a PM. He told me they were the best A/T's his used.
Hope this is of some assistance,
Dave

Ive done a fair few KMs on mine 265/70/17s ~30,000K they are starting to get a little louder on road, tread is fully compressed now, the shoulders are rounding off a few lugs are showing signs of tearing from offroad use, typical pressures are 38psi on road, 25psi off road. most of my 4wd'ing is sandy muddy rocks no sidewall damage, they clear mud OK, they grip well. no punctures, no dramas what so ever
i would buy them again no hesitation
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:33 am

Thanks guys I have heard the Kelly's are quiet good especially for the price. I hear the general grabbers go alright also but am unsure as not many reviews. Think the price is up there also on those
chrisdoherty87

Postby SPB on Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:15 pm

What Size? 265/75 R16
Brand? Kenda
Style? Klever MT
Handle on Road? Seem good
Handle off road? Untested
Price per tyre? $290 includes Darwin tax
Wear & Tear? Only 4 hours old and 10km on them. Time will tell.

Click to view larger picture
SPB

Postby dcox261 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:17 pm

Does anyone have experience with General Grabber AT2's?
dcox261

Postby destorman on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Just had new tyres fitted on our 2010 MN GLX Triton (fitted to some ML 16" Alloys I picked up today) ... new pic's added to "our shed" ... BTW it's a stock GLX, (i.e. it had stock steel rims and still has stock suspension). It's had Maxxis 771's (225/75) for the past two years.

So, the new tyres are:

What Size? 245/70/16

Brand? Bridgestone D697

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) A/T

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise)

Very nice. Straight up it felt easier in the steering, like it was 'lighter', with less effort to turn the steering wheel (and for reference the old 771's were at 40 psi). Felt much "softer" and "smoother" than when the Maxxis 771's went on new (and they felt good coming off the stock H/T's which were 2years old and had 48,000kms wear) ... driving on various roads (smooth bitumen, concrete, rough old bitumen roads, etc) the difference is quite noticeable to the 771's (which admittedly were two years old and had 60,000km wear), but from best of memory, I don't remember them feeling this smooth when they were new ...

Road noise? ... Road Noise? ... Road Noise? (apologies to Ferris Bueller) ... what road noise! Again, the two year old 771's to these was noticeably quieter. These are nice. Slight hum on the concrete which the 771's never did, but it is very very slight, and I'm probably only picking it because there is nothing else to hear and maybe looking for a fault.

Overall the ride feels 'softer' and 'smoother', with possibly a tad bit of 'roll' when cornering at speed or swerving back and forth, but at no stage was it anywhere near a concern of confidence, they just gripped ... which brings me to the next bit.

Grip, oh gosh, they grip ... went around one of those full circle type on ramps onto the highway, which is usually a 60kmh corner at best, well I went past that and then some and felt very well "stuck" to the road. Totally dry road.

No wet weather today, so can't comment.

The only overriding comment is that it does feel a little 'sluggish' off the mark, which I'm guessing is the slightly bigger diameter that has to turn to get going, plus the extra tread that I'm not use to feeling.

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise)

So today I did a bit of gravel driving, and they felt great. In one spot, which has loose gravel around a corner that goes up a slight hill, that was always a spot to give it some right foot, let the tail drift a bit for some fun, well, I did not get that today, like nothing, nudda, zip, zero zilch ... and I did give it some boot, since I had already felt that sluggishness. (BTW, it's a corner where the speed and gear, 2nd gear, is just below the turbo kick) ... as I got toward the exit of the corner the turbo kicked, wheels slipped, but only just, like only just broke traction.

Tried sand too ... one spot, again I know where the 771's would sink and shudder to get through (at full road pressure), the 697's seemed to sink about 1/3 and crawled through with no shudder. The top sand was softish, and under was a bit harder from the recent rain, but, it was only two days ago I went on the same track with the 771's and it sank and shuddered, with the sand today the same as then ... keen to try in some super soft sand.

No mud, not in my usually driving.

Price per tyre?

$229 fitted and balance including free rotation, balance and pressure check every 10,000kms for first 50,000kms

Wear & Tear?

New, none.

Any other comments

Overall, very very happy, and glad we went the 697's rather than the Falken Wildpeaks. Price was good for the Wildpeaks, but with limited and sketchy reports on them, and from what I've read, not many people putting them on again, where as the 697's have a larger fan base and people who have had them and put them on again.
Last edited by destorman on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby tmichel on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:27 pm

Took a set of factory supplied tires on a GLX-R 2014 Warrior up into the tracks out the back of Kenilworth last weekend in the mud and was surprised by how well they handled it , some tracks were up to 45 degrees with mud just shy of the chassis but didn't miss a beat , did have it in low range with diff locks but still ?
tmichel

Postby tailorfisho78 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:28 pm

Mate I have the new latest release General Grabbers in 265/75/16 on the 2013 triton, bloody strong tyre. Abit on the pricey side but super strong tyre. I am selling mine after 4000kms as I have a massive tax bill to pay so if you know anyone that is interested I have 5 of them on 16"x8" dynamic steel round hole rims with a P20 offset. Send a PM if interested. The General Grabbers AT2 are a great strong tyre also

Cheers
Keithy
dcox261 wrote:Does anyone have experience with General Grabber AT2's?
tailorfisho78

Postby emjayar on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Falken Wildpeak Tire Review

What Size? 245/75/16

Brand? Falken Wildpeak AT

Style? A/T

The Wilkdpeaks are a cheaper tyre with a lot of sidewall flexing, this flexing is what gives this tire the offroad traction to compete with bigger and more aggressive models and tread patterns. However this impacts cornering on road quite dramatically! Living in the land of roundabouts, it becomes apparent at greater speeds. They can be slippery in the wet running at 40PSI but dropping a couple of PSI after heavy or constant rain seems to keep them in check.

These tires are great for short term investments for an avid off-roader. The traction offroad is splendid for the first 15,000-20,000kms however once you wear down the side lugs there is little more traction offered by these tires than any standard highway tire. Mine have done 26,000kms now and have another 10,000-15,000kms left for road usage but aren't much use offroad anymore, especially in mud. As mentioned before, their saving grace is the sidewall flex for offroading offering a much larger footprint at mid to low pressures (15-26PSI)

Price per tyre?
$199 per tyre, fitted and balanced

Wear & Tear?
26,000kms and they are more or less a highway tire with stronger construction.

Any other comments
These tires are a great short term investment for an avid off-roader. I'm not overly disappointed with the places these have got me, nor am I overly thrilled. I am however thrilled that I was able to secure them for the right price after buying my triton.

The Bottom Line
I would recommend them to anybody who wants to have a moderately aggressive tyre for a great price and give them some breathing room on any larger bills or modifications. They have been great, just quick wearing for my use.
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

Postby tritonliz on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:52 pm

fireball wrote:265/75/16
cooper st
lt 10ply
ok on road, only had the stock on for <1 day to compare, not noisy
f*ckin awesome off road 8-)
slight chipping off the rear 2 tyres cos i think i floor them too much on the tarmac :oops:
about $290 /tyre
survived @12psi-40psi on sheet terrain lol definitely worth the money i reckon

I have the above too and love them, when I upgrade my wheels and tyres I will go for the STT next, between the ST and the mud tyre..can't fault them. Quiet on road and great traction in both sand and mud.
tritonliz

Postby destorman on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:13 am

Update time - 7000km on the D697 ... here's the history:

destorman wrote:Just had new tyres fitted on our 2010 MN GLX Triton (fitted to some ML 16" Alloys I picked up today) ... new pic's added to "our shed" ... BTW it's a stock GLX, (i.e. it had stock steel rims and still has stock suspension). It's had Maxxis 771's (225/75) for the past two years.

So, the new tyres are:

What Size? 245/70/16

Brand? Bridgestone D697

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) A/T

Very nice. Straight up it felt easier in the steering, like it was 'lighter', with less effort to turn the steering wheel (and for reference the old 771's were at 40 psi). Felt much "softer" and "smoother" than when the Maxxis 771's went on new (and they felt good coming off the stock H/T's which were 2years old and had 48,000kms wear) ... driving on various roads (smooth bitumen, concrete, rough old bitumen roads, etc) the difference is quite noticeable to the 771's (which admittedly were two years old and had 60,000km wear), but from best of memory, I don't remember them feeling this smooth when they were new ...

Road noise? ... Road Noise? ... Road Noise? (apologies to Ferris Bueller) ... what road noise! Again, the two year old 771's to these was noticeably quieter. These are nice. Slight hum on the concrete which the 771's never did, but it is very very slight, and I'm probably only picking it because there is nothing else to hear and maybe looking for a fault.

Overall the ride feels 'softer' and 'smoother', with possibly a tad bit of 'roll' when cornering at speed or swerving back and forth, but at no stage was it anywhere near a concern of confidence, they just gripped ... which brings me to the next bit.

Grip, oh gosh, they grip ... went around one of those full circle type on ramps onto the highway, which is usually a 60kmh corner at best, well I went past that and then some and felt very well "stuck" to the road. Totally dry road.

No wet weather today, so can't comment.

The only overriding comment is that it does feel a little 'sluggish' off the mark, which I'm guessing is the slightly bigger diameter that has to turn to get going, plus the extra tread that I'm not use to feeling.

So today I did a bit of gravel driving, and they felt great. In one spot, which has loose gravel around a corner that goes up a slight hill, that was always a spot to give it some right foot, let the tail drift a bit for some fun, well, I did not get that today, like nothing, nudda, zip, zero zilch ... and I did give it some boot, since I had already felt that sluggishness. (BTW, it's a corner where the speed and gear, 2nd gear, is just below the turbo kick) ... as I got toward the exit of the corner the turbo kicked, wheels slipped, but only just, like only just broke traction.

Tried sand too ... one spot, again I know where the 771's would sink and shudder to get through (at full road pressure), the 697's seemed to sink about 1/3 and crawled through with no shudder. The top sand was softish, and under was a bit harder from the recent rain, but, it was only two days ago I went on the same track with the 771's and it sank and shuddered, with the sand today the same as then ... keen to try in some super soft sand.

No mud, not in my usually driving.

Price per tyre?

$229 fitted and balance including free rotation, balance and pressure check every 10,000kms for first 50,000kms

Wear & Tear?

New, none.

Any other comments

Overall, very very happy, and glad we went the 697's rather than the Falken Wildpeaks. Price was good for the Wildpeaks, but with limited and sketchy reports on them, and from what I've read, not many people putting them on again, where as the 697's have a larger fan base and people who have had them and put them on again.

As noted above, 7000km on the D697's now, with a variety of driving.

On road, general every day driving from the around town stuff through to highway ... absolutely awesome. Quiet. Great handling, and great grip. Had to pull up quick, ABS kicked in and pulled the seat belts hard. No slip. Good grip. Stoked!

Note: If memory serves correct, when that happened once before we had the Maxxis on the rims and they slipped a did not seem to pull up anywhere near as quick. That would have been early in their wear too, around when we had about 60 or 70,000 kms on the Ute.

Offroad:

On gravel roads ... again great. Usually gradded and non gradded rural type gravel rounds at speeds between 40 and 80 kmh ... like all tyres, when in the really loose pebbly stuff the builds off the driving lines it slips, but, I do not recall any tyre ever holding and handling it as well as these. Big call? Or bad memory, Don't know, but am again stoked.

Sand ... from hard compact to light fluffy soft stuff. Gets through the soft stuff well. Even when I'm lazy and leave them at 40psi ... does tend to 'shudder' and bounce up and down in the back end in soft stuff ... soft of like a dig and bounce, to make it's way through (when at 40psi and in 2wd only) ... slip over to low 4wd and it crawls through no worries even at 40psi!

Absolutely no worries on the soft stuff at lower pressure (18psi) on the soft stuff, and even again when hitting the hard sand. Sidewall feel solid enough so no weird 'roll' or spoungy feeling. Has not been heavily loaded though, only light load of surfboards and surf / beach gear, etc.

All in all, would happily recommend the D697's and will be fitting them again.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

New Tyres

Postby Jason.g01 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:53 pm

I Have just ordered a set of Cooper A/TMaxx tyres... not cheap and I hope I have made the right decision? I hate tyre buying time for the 4x4!!!!!

The daily car is easy..
Jason.g01

Postby trouble on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:13 am

Jason.g01 wrote:I Have just ordered a set of Cooper A/TMaxx tyres... not cheap and I hope I have made the right decision? I hate tyre buying time for the 4x4!!!!!

The daily car is easy..

Bad choice mate, I have them and IMHO they are crap as a daily tyre!!
Even after my red centre trip (8500 ks) my rear tyres are shot!
They don't like weight on them I was running 45psi at one stage just to stop the wearing on the outside of the tyres, yes it worked but then the whole tyre was basically peeling off!
Reckon I lost maybe a third of my tread from that trip from the rear!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Jason.g01 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:52 am

trouble wrote:
Jason.g01 wrote:I Have just ordered a set of Cooper A/TMaxx tyres... not cheap and I hope I have made the right decision? I hate tyre buying time for the 4x4!!!!!

The daily car is easy..

Bad choice mate, I have them and IMHO they are crap as a daily tyre!!
Even after my red centre trip (8500 ks) my rear tyres are shot!
They don't like weight on them I was running 45psi at one stage just to stop the wearing on the outside of the tyres, yes it worked but then the whole tyre was basically peeling off!
Reckon I lost maybe a third of my tread from that trip from the rear!

Bugger, what I have read is that they are very pressure sensitive!!
I live country and one of the negatives is the limited choice! was going to get the 697's but no dealer here stocks them here.
I don't use the Triton as a daily driver, just trips on the black stuff and plenty of the off road stuff.. fingers crossed I didn't just flush $1400 down the drain.
Jason.g01

Postby trouble on Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:29 pm

Just keep an eagle eye on your pressures, monitor them every time you stop
This is what I should have done and WILL now do
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Jason.g01 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:28 pm

trouble wrote:Just keep an eagle eye on your pressures, monitor them every time you stop
This is what I should have done and WILL now do

Cheers mate, ended up fitting Cooper discover A/T3's but guessing they will be the same a the cooper Maxx tyres.

As I have only done 50km with them on the Triton I was expecting them to be noisier.. they are almost silent compared to the old Yokohama's.
Jason.g01

Postby trouble on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:29 pm

Please keep us/me updated on these, just a bit interested
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Triton23 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:57 pm

Hey guys i see a few of you are running BFG MT just seeing what price yous paid roughly for the people running them in 32"

Also im getting a set of black sunraysias 16x8 wrapped in 32" and i want the tyre sticking out about 1" from the factory flared guards i have no idea what offset or tyre sizes to get

Any help??

Cheers
Triton23

Postby Mark3413 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:14 pm

I run Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 265/75 R16 had them on for little bit now. And very happy with them, if you're after a whisper quite tyre on the road, these aren't for you. Not excessive bit you can hear them. Off road, well we will just say for a all terrain they are really good. Used mostly on sand so far and running 18psi they go anywhere. Have used them on dirt tracks as well and very capable there as well. Haven't been in the deep mud yet, I try to avoid it if I can. So can't comment how they go on that terrain. Not the cheapest tyre on the market but you get what you pay for I suppose!
Mark3413
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels