Re: Tyre Survey

Postby hxshagginwagon on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:32 am

320 for the AT980 but I'm not sure if you're post was directed at me brodie
ML GLX-R 3.2TD 5-Speed 2008 MY09

HXshagginwagon is my other ride!
hxshagginwagon

Postby aimstix on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:26 am

Have been quoted at $360 f/b per corner for BFF km2 285/75/16 and $385 for mikky T mtz.. Are these prices ok and had anyone tried the toyo mt?? Have a few at work but never driven one offroad or highway with the toyo's?? Just chasing some opinions
aimstix

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:27 am

Finally retired my goodyear kevlar MTR in 265/70/17 size
they are still legal and have done 100,000kms touring towing 4x4 bashing etc rotating through 5.

I have replaced with the same, expensive tyre but with the above results 8-)
Still handled well in the rain/ wet and maintained same noise levels throughout there life.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby brodical on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:33 am

hxshagginwagon wrote:320 for the AT980 but I'm not sure if you're post was directed at me brodie

Yeah mate I was asken you...sounds like there slightly cheaper than the bf's so hmmm I know the bf's are proven to get great mileage but with these others may not be the case if there a softer compound...but sounds there a bit more aggressive with the bigger tread pattern...guess it depends what you want from your tyres at the end of the day..
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby TUF909 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Last edited by TUF909 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam.

Shed: http://www.newtriton.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=3584

Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17609

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
TUF909

Postby brodical on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Bfg at's ????
brodical

Postby brodical on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:53 pm

Not shure about the silent armour's but the Goodyear wranglers my cousins had on his troopy were a woefull tyre..they may have stepped up there game but...
brodical

Postby Snooozy on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:07 pm

tuf909 wrote:About to retire my bfg km2 muddies. 265/75R16. Were a fantastic tyre. Have done over 50, 000 on them have performed insane off road. They have started to scallop though due to my shockies.

Changing to good year silent Armor all terrain. 265/70R60. Reason is, my current ones are illegal size, and I'm merging more into the tourer scene as aposed to all ofroad.

Although want to check out the coopers too.

Would recommend km2's to anyone looking for an offroad tyre.

I have had the Silent armor on for about 50k. they can be very slippery in the wet if I give it a little bit of right foot :shock:
I am looking at other options for the next set of rubber
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TUF909 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:20 pm

Last edited by TUF909 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
TUF909

Postby macca002 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:26 am

First rains of the wet season last night, so went out to do a bit of a 'wet' test/update on the Hankook Dynapro MT's whilst the road was all slick from a dry seasons worth of crud build up.

Handled surprisingly well. No feeling of aquaplaning - even hitting the deeper sections on the main roads (about 80km/hr).

Tyres pull up fine. No howling when brakes are applied in force. I guess the Triton's braking system also helps a bit here.

I actually felt more confident hitting the deeper puddles in the Triton than I did in the ASX with its road tyres. They do a really good job at cutting through the water to give better traction IMO.
macca002

Postby George Kyro on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:24 am

Good morning all.After nearly 18,000 kay my 33 inch bfg km2's have decided to literally rip on my side wall causing me to lose pressure (slow leak) over time.

I rang up the tyre shop that put them on and they said that i should bring it down for a thorough inspection.

Truth be told, i do use the vehicle off road.
In the time i've had them i've probably been keen to lock in the hubs at least once a month which means i've gone out about 6 times since i bought the car brand new 5 months ago.

Yes i do a lot of kays but should any of this take a a serious toll on them ?

They aren't too old and they are considered an off road tyre so i dont see how the odd trip off the beaten road should have caused such a hick up.

The slash isnt even a slash that runs (east to west) which could be caused from rocks if i was rubbing against one.
Its actually a slash running (north south) from the middle of the side wall down towards the tread pattern.

Does anyone know what my luck will be like with bfg?
Any info would be appreciated !
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

Postby macca002 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:29 am

When you are in the tyre shop, check out the sidewall thickness. Some of the 4x4 tyres available have a sidewall thickness that is marginally greater than that of a decent road tyre.

Sidewall damage is usually what ruins an offroad tyre, so it pays to spend a bit of time checking them out when you are in the shop.
macca002

Postby George Kyro on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:39 am

macca002 wrote:When you are in the tyre shop, check out the sidewall thickness. Some of the 4x4 tyres available have a sidewall thickness that is marginally greater than that of a decent road tyre.

Sidewall damage is usually what ruins an offroad tyre, so it pays to spend a bit of time checking them out when you are in the shop.

Agreed macca, but to think that when i bought these they said they were one of the best off road tyres on the market ???

I had the Maxxis big horns before these on my first and second triton but these guys convinced me to try these.

I'm happy with the km2's but just hope they replace it
George Kyro

Postby macca002 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:06 am

The KM2's are a good tyre. I don't think they will replace the sidewall damage though.
Doesn't matter how good or expensive your tyres are, one they are staked or damaged, then they usually go in the bin.

If it were to deform, such as get an egg or delaminate, then they would probably replace.
macca002

Postby TUF909 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:08 am

Last edited by TUF909 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam.

TUF909

Postby George Kyro on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:17 am

tuf909 wrote:George I ran the km2's for about 50,000km. Never had a single problem on or off road. The reason I changed them out was because they scalloped, which was not the tyres fault but my front shocks fault.

Sometimes it os possible to get a bad batch of tyres. Or other times it could just be unlucky damage that happened on or off road. I read all over a 4wd facebook page about km2's being crap and falling apart after little km's, and they said what a crap quality tyre they are, yet look at the km's I got? Lol

Agreed Sam , i am a big fan of the KM2's and where they have taken me. Since i have had this triton i have rarely been bogged and would definitely go them again once they wore out.
I am amazed at just how capable they make my truck. I have some decent clearance and a decent set of tyres with no lockers and she just keeps on chugging.

I will keep you guys informed on what happens with them.
George Kyro

Postby lgil86 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Stopped at a local tyre shop today to see about trade in against some a/t tyres on my stock tyres when I collect new car this weekend. Offered $100 trade in on my stock and suggested Yokohama geolander a/t-s. Reckons they will replace for free a damaged/unrepairable tyre as long as it is 3/4 or more tread depth, go half price on 1/2 to 3/4 tread depth etc at any Yokohama dealer throughout Australia. Anyone else come across this offer? The guy says the deal is by Yokohama themselves. Tyres were pretty pricey though, think he said 270 on top of trade in but can't remember for sure
lgil86
Platinum Subscriber

Postby oldplodder on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:11 am

Lgil.
Was looking at the same option before our trip this year.
Ended up getting some new CSA steel 16x7 rims for $60.00 each, and put the AT tyres on those.
Just put the original HTs back on till Christmas.
Getting my money worths out of both. :o)
The new rims also fit the camper trailer, which the original rims do not, centre hole too small.
oldplodder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lgil86 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:43 pm

cool oldplodder, thought it was a good offer and wanted to share! bit out of my price range i think, will have to find a cheaper alternative, prob be 70% road, 30% sand and trails.
lgil86
Platinum Subscriber

Postby did3.2 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:19 pm

lgil86 wrote:Stopped at a local tyre shop today to see about trade in against some a/t tyres on my stock tyres when I collect new car this weekend. Offered $100 trade in on my stock and suggested Yokohama geolander a/t-s. Reckons they will replace for free a damaged/unrepairable tyre as long as it is 3/4 or more tread depth, go half price on 1/2 to 3/4 tread depth etc at any Yokohama dealer throughout Australia. Anyone else come across this offer? The guy says the deal is by Yokohama themselves. Tyres were pretty pricey though, think he said 270 on top of trade in but can't remember for sure

I will never run any tyre made by Yokohama. I had them on a previous 4wd and a tyre for no apparent reason decided to delaminate and destroy the side of my vehicle. Rippled the entire panel, removed the flare and destroyed the paint, just lucky no one had a hand out the window.
After sending the tyre at my cost to them to investigate I got a too bad so sad you wear it response.
So I will never buy or recommend a Yokohama again.
I am sure there are lots of people who will swear by them but that is my experience.
Just FYI. ;)
Family, Friends and Four Wheel Drives!
did3.2

Postby slicvs on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi everyone went tyre shopping today, have done 16 thousand on the stock dunlops on my mn and im sick of the lack of grip off the black top... I looked at a set of 265/75/16 maxxis bighorn but a bit worried about road noise from the extreme pattern, although they would look awesome!... I opted for the Mickey Thompson AT 4 rib 265/75/16... I went back through about 10 pages of the thread and didn't find much reading on these, anyone had much experience or running these? if so what do you think?

cheers
T rusty
slicvs

Postby hammy on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:44 pm

slicvs wrote:Hi everyone went tyre shopping today, have done 16 thousand on the stock dunlops on my mn and im sick of the lack of grip off the black top... I looked at a set of 265/75/16 maxxis bighorn but a bit worried about road noise from the extreme pattern, although they would look awesome!... I opted for the Mickey Thompson AT 4 rib 265/75/16... I went back through about 10 pages of the thread and didn't find much reading on these, anyone had much experience or running these? if so what do you think?

cheers

Hey mate I looked at the big horns today too but turned away for the same reason. ....I went with cooper st maxx......cant imagine the mickys being anything but good........
hammy

Postby c-dale on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:35 pm

I've had the MT 4 ribs on for about 5-8000 km now. Awesome tyre. Quiet compared to the Bighorns I had, grippy in all the terrains I've taken the rig (black top, sand, gravel). Only thing I have found is I am needing to pay closer attention to pressures. They tend to drop pressure faster than other tyres I have had. Will keep an eye on it as things harden up.
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby slicvs on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:49 pm

thanks for that tex
T rusty
slicvs

Postby srb on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:02 am

BFG KM2 @ 40,000km on them and still going. These are12months old now and I have no complaints. They have worked very well in all conditions on our around Australia trip. Grip levels on road have been great, but have noticed they have gone off a bit now especially in the wet. :lol: Off road they have been awesome in all conditions and can handle heavy loads in the bush easily. ;-)
Will buy these again.

Click to view larger picture
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels