Tyre Survey

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Tyre Survey

Postby Homer on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:31 pm

Does anyone have an update on their 17's.
All posts seem to be new tyres just fitted.
How have they gone for wear, grip, problems etc?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby jop on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:51 pm

I know 4wd26 loves his mtr's, i've relegated the mud country's to the pajero on new wheels due to the high km's i'm doing atm. I have fitted dueller d694 265/65/17 to the alloys.
jop

Postby Trilo on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:29 pm

Size: 265/75/16
Brand: Bridgestone D694 LT
Style: A/T
Handle on road: Better than H/T
Handle off Road: I am happy with them on dirt and gravel
Wear & Tear: Only done 1500 kms
Price: $238.00
Does Spare fit Y/N: Yes
Overall Diameter: 808mm
Noticed the fuel economy go up, and slightly down on power due to the bigger rubber.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
Trilo

Postby Tony on Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:37 pm

I have fitted Coopers Zeon LTZ 265/70/17. Fit nicely and very good on the black top. I haven't used them in anger off road yet but so far very happy. They should wear OK as have a 80k warranty for what its worth :lol: I'll keep you posted as we rack up some kays.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bammo on Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:21 pm

Hey GLX-R MN - where did you get your Coopers from? Their website doesn't list that tyre size and my local dealer reckons they don't exist in that size! I'm keen for a tyre that primarily performs well on the road but looks a bit more aggressive than the normal H/T's and so far your Zeon LTZ's seem to be the only real choice for the MN.

My off roading is limited to the occasional run on the beach and gravel driving out the farm.
Bammo

Postby mff64 on Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:17 am

Size: 245/75/16
Brand: BF Goodrich M/T KM2
Style: M/T
Handle on road: So far all is good
Handle off Road: So far all is good
Wear & Tear: Only done 600 kms
Price: $290.00
Overall Diameter: 773.6mm

Talking to a number of tyre dealers and owners the KM2 are getting good mileage on the black top. I had to wait 3 months for the tyres to turn up, all sorts of stories getting around...... didn't order on time (importer), didn't make enough to meet demand, outsold supply.
Road noise is less than the older M/T and not that much louder than the standard 205R 16.
The 245/75/16 size has corrected the speedo to read true ground speed(going by my GPS), the standard tyres were reading 5.5kmh too slow.
edit.. had fast instead of slow :oops:
Last edited by mff64 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"DROUGHTMASTERS" Australia's own
Eat more beef and be happy :-)
mff64

Postby Tony on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:46 am

Bammo wrote:Hey GLX-R MN - where did you get your Coopers from? Their website doesn't list that tyre size and my local dealer reckons they don't exist in that size! I'm keen for a tyre that primarily performs well on the road but looks a bit more aggressive than the normal H/T's and so far your Zeon LTZ's seem to be the only real choice for the MN.

My off roading is limited to the occasional run on the beach and gravel driving out the farm.

Got mine in Mudgee NSW. Tell your dealer to pull his head out of the clouds cause these have been out for a fair few weeks now :lol: And you have pics of proof :roll: They're Coopers latest so called sports truck tyre as 17s are going to be popular with most small trucks in the Yankee world. They're 10 ply rated by the way :)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

17" Coopes Zeon LTZs

Postby Tony on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:06 am

I'm just back from a 1000Km round trip from Sydney + now driving in very muddy black soil here after 3" of rain.

I have to say these tyres have exceeded my expectations for a all rounder and thank god they are. Great on dry tar,have exelent stopping power at high speed and good lateral stability. Real good in lose gravel although will pick up small stones a bit.
Now the good bit, Wile in Sydney we had just enough rain to make the roads very slick in places. Where it was safe I pushed it hard till I could feel it break out. Was very predictable and easy to recover. On a tight roundabout going down hill it did under steer a bit but felt very safe . The back end never stepped out. If you dive sensibly these tyres will out perform most H/Ts in my opinion. Braking on the wet tar was also very good.

What has really surprised me is how well they are going in this black mud here. They seem to self clean quite well.

Cheers Tony
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Skippy on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:24 pm

Size: 245/75/R16 (30.5")
Brand: Cooper
Style: ST
Handle on road: Pretty good
Handle off Road: Don't bother in the wet stuff
Wear & Tear: Done 65,000kms+ so far should get 70,000-80,000 easy
Price: $1000 trade over for new tyres and rims back in 07'
Overall Diameter: 773.9mm (30.5")
Skippy
Skippy

Postby grasshopper on Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi all,
Keeping in mind my ute is the 4x2, petrol 2.4 lt model with stock 16x6 wheels.
I got tired (no punn intended) of losing traction every time after more than 5mm of rain out here in the brown clay type stuff... Or even wet grass and up hill with no load in the back...
So i decided on 205x16 tyres for the rear only.
Maxxis MT-753 Bravo Series.

Thus far - approx 300 Ks, all is great. Though i do notice a bit of tail end squirming about on the much higher tread blocks than the standard fare. (Bridgestone H/T hoops).
grasshopper

Postby al coholic on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:30 am

al coholic wrote:What Size? 265/75/16 LT on 16 x 7 Rims

Brand? Mickey Thompson

Style? Baja ATZ 4 Rib

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Excellent grip, Some low level noise at higher speeds and when braking. Excellent in the wet

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) Very good on dirt and gravel roads. Still very happy with these in all off road conditions

Price per tyre? $325- fitted Expensive, but well worth the coin

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) TBA, to soon to know. Wearing very well

Thought it was about time for an update..............these tyres are amazing They perform really well in all conditions at all times, and after 11,000kms, they still look new, no chipping, cuts etc.
The thing that has impressed me the most is the grip you get on the blacktop when its wet, it is truly out of this world. Everyone told me that you would be sacrificing on road grip especially in the wet for the advantage of having a mud or agressive all terrain tyre, but its the complete opposite. There has never been a moment when these babies have looked like letting me down on wet roads, i cant even loose traction when i try to. I even have a theory that they way these tyres are designed, they actually "cut" through the surface water to find grip on the road. I have driven plenty of cars with highway terrain tyres with very shallow grooves (even when tyres are new) and they are all deadly in heavy rain when there is water running across the road, but not with these ones, never feel as though the rear will step out around corners or aquaplane etc.
Now. i probably owe some of the credit to the fact i threw out the crap stock suspension and have decent aftermarket gear in there, it probably plays a big part in the grip and confidence i have................but I have 100% confidence in the Mickey T's in all conditions and would recommend them to everyone (if i haven't already)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby chris_s on Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:04 am

I'm still waiting to get my new GLR (next week?). On my patrol that was involved in a horrific crash last year, I had:
Brand: BFG
Style: All Terrains
Size: 265/70/R17
Handle on road: Dry Good
Wet: Good initially, but after 60,000Km handle with care (really had to drive to conditions)
Noise: Nil
Wear & Tear: Fantastic 89,000 at the time of the crash (tyres not at fault, hit from behind at 150kph - slid into a tree and hope to be driving next week) Tyre experts said I should have got more than 100,000km
They did the Canning Stock Route, Gibb River Road, Mitchell Plateau plus lots more in WA. Last year up to Cape York and surrounds - slight chipping on the gibber roads. Plus the usual Vic Alps as well.
chris_s

Postby QueenslandeR on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Size: 255/70 R16
Brand: Bridgestone D694 LT
Style: A/T
Handle on road: Good so far (no noise)
Handle off Road: Yet to have a good workout
Wear & Tear: Too New
Price: $280
Overall Diameter: 763mm (30")
QueenslandeR

Re: 17" Coopes Zeon LTZs

Postby Homer on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:41 am

GLX-R MN wrote:I'm just back from a 1000Km round trip from Sydney + now driving in very muddy black soil here after 3" of rain.

I have to say these tyres have exceeded my expectations for a all rounder and thank god they are. Great on dry tar,have exelent stopping power at high speed and good lateral stability. Real good in lose gravel although will pick up small stones a bit.
Now the good bit, Wile in Sydney we had just enough rain to make the roads very slick in places. Where it was safe I pushed it hard till I could feel it break out. Was very predictable and easy to recover. On a tight roundabout going down hill it did under steer a bit but felt very safe . The back end never stepped out. If you dive sensibly these tyres will out perform most H/Ts in my opinion. Braking on the wet tar was also very good.

What has really surprised me is how well they are going in this black mud here. They seem to self clean quite well.

Cheers Tony

Faarkin lot of good Coopers are!

They only bring these tyres in to NSW - will not even let a NSW dealer ship them to Brisbane. Even tried "Northern NSW" dealers - nope!...too bad, sound like one of the best A/T's around - looks like Bridgestone are getting my money.

Just had the head QLD distributer ring - told him his ATR's are a POS and to stick them up his clacker and going D694's :evil:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Re: 17" Coopes Zeon LTZs

Postby Tony on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:16 pm

Homer wrote:
GLX-R MN wrote:I'm just back from a 1000Km round trip from Sydney + now driving in very muddy black soil here after 3" of rain.

Cheers Tony

Faarkin lot of good Coopers are!

They only bring these tyres in to NSW - will not even let a NSW dealer ship them to Brisbane. Even tried "Northern NSW" dealers - nope!...too bad, sound like one of the best A/T's around - looks like Bridgestone are getting my money.

Just had the head QLD distributer ring - told him his ATR's are a POS and to stick them up his clacker and going D694's :evil:

Huh????? WTF.... There has to be a reason for this? Legal issues may be? The Zeon was designed for so called sports trucks. Effy's/Rams etc. They're much heavier and faster than a Triton so load and speed ratings should exceed.
I'm curious now.... Going to ask my dealer in Mudgee whats the go as he sells heaps of them.

Good luck with the D694's. I didn't like them here but may suit you fine. Should be very good on the black top and OK in sand if aired down as most. I wouldn't bash them off road to hard in sharp rocks etc. Mud is interesting :lol: Lots of right foot to make them clean :P
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:00 am

Haha thanks mate...no issues with lots of right foot!

I'm not 100% happy with having to go 694's....not knocking them, just want what everyone wants - the best of both worlds :roll:

They tell me the LTZ are for test only (real reason is they compete with the ATR) and if they are spread too thin they can't re-supply for wty etc - which I can understand to a point.

When I said they sound better than the ATR, he gave me the "I wouldn't be so sure about that. You sure you don't want to go with a tried and tested tyre like ATR. I'm not too sure on the LTZ's...time will tell". So sorry to say it sounds like your truck is going to explode mate :lol:

Still would think good marketing/testing would be to let real keen buyers get at them - especially if they were willing to truck them a long way at their own cost.

Anyway...both rants over....sort of....till next time :roll:

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby borngeek on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:54 am

What size are these LTZ's?

according to coopers website they only come in 18" and up :?
http://www.coopertire.com/FI_Uploads/Do ... %20LTZ.pdf

however they do look the goods 8-)

How long these standard tyres last anyway :lol:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:28 am

You gotta ring/internet around...it's the 17's I had all the trouble getting - MN's mate at Mudgee has a set (seemed like a nice bloke too). Others will too. http://www.coopertires.com.au/dealers/nsw.htm

Tex I think my issues are more to do with the 275/70 giving a lot more sidewall movement and weight?
They aren't bad, just not as good as tight little HT 245/65's and not used to them yet.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby brunopezz on Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:16 pm

What Size? 265/70/16

Brand? pirelli scorpion's

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T)? AT

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise)? handle much better than factory tyres, grip is fantastic and lower noise than factory.

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise)? much, much better on the sand than factory tyres.

Price per tyre? (if you want)? $269 each

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing)
Last edited by brunopezz on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brunopezz

Postby R33F on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:15 am

Size: 265/70 R17
Brand: Mickey Thompson
Style: Baja ATZ 5 Bead
Handle on road: Minimal
Handle off Road: Really happy so far
Wear & Tear: Too new to tell.
Price: $320
Overall Diameter: 803mm

Tyres worked really well on their first outing. Ran them at 20 psi and no prolems at all. Looking forward to trying them on the sand next month and seeing how they perform. Have tried freeway driving with the back window lowered, and noise is minimal.
"They'll bury the pool, we'll dig it out. They fill it with water, we'll empty it. The bulldoze it, we'll rebuild it. We cannot be stopped" - Dave Ruel.
R33F

Postby jasduf on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Size: 265/65 R17 112H
Brand: Yokohama
Style: Geolander AT/S
Handle on road: Hell of a lot better thand the OEMS.
Handle off Road: Will edit after Anzac day long weekend
Wear & Tear: Brand New
Price: $320
Overall Diameter: 776mm
jasduf

Postby waveriders on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:50 am

Size: 265/75R16
Brand: Mickey Thompson
Style: Baja MTZ
Handle on road: good but they are extremely noisey
Handle off Road: good
Wear & Tear: will probably get around 50K

Had always run BFG muddies but tyre dealer convinced me to use the above. Not happy as the noise levels are really bad compared to BFG and they do not seem to wear as well. Would not buy them again and will revert to BFG when replacing.
waveriders

Postby fitz on Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:55 pm

I am looking at going up from 265/75 R16 BFG A/T to 285/75 R16 BFG M/T KM2s.

The big question is will they fit. If you look at the actual specs of the 265/75 and then go out and measure it on the car the overall diameter doesn't match. Spec is 803mm actual is only about 760mm or so. Spec for MT is 833mm.

Assuming that the 285 is indeed only 30mm bigger then with my suspension lift I should be sweet. But from reading other peoples posts there seems to be some differences. For example 265 Mickey Thompson MTZ are essentially the same size as 285 BFGs. Are 285 M/Ts only 30mm bigger than 265 A/Ts.

Interested to know of people running 285 BFG MTs on standard ML alloys and if there are any problems with scrubbing either normally or full lock/tilt. Also are there any issues with the spare fitting. As I said before if you just assume 30mm difference then no problems, BUT.......

Not sure if this is in another thread...but I can't find it!

Cheers,

Dom
fitz

Postby snowman on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:03 pm

check Buzzy's shed, i think he runs a 285......

there is some rubbing unless you are 'lifted' from memory.

not sure about your measurements. are you measuring from the ground up? if so the compression on the ground will reduce the diameter.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SkIp on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Yeah wondering the same thing myself mate. Im wanting to go to 255/85R16 in the BF Mud, about the same diameter as the 285 but less width obviously.

More concern of bottoming out when fully articulated then the turning circle...

Cheers
SkIp

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels