Tyre Survey

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Tyre Survey

Postby fitz on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:21 pm

snowman wrote:check Buzzy's shed, i think he runs a 285......

there is some rubbing unless you are 'lifted' from memory.

not sure about your measurements. are you measuring from the ground up? if so the compression on the ground will reduce the diameter.

Yep i am lifted. Lovells (HD), but I still think the steel bar and winch pulls them down a bit. Thinking about adding some 25mm Snake spacers.

Anyway I measured across the wheel (not ground up) and they were definitely around the 760-770 mark to the edge of the tyre.
fitz

Postby Buzzy on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:12 pm

285's should fit ok fitz but you will have to trim the little bit of inner mud flap thingy that sticks out, nothing in it. On full lock with some articulation the side biter lugs on my MTZ can rub on the swaybar a bit, doesnt happen very often though.
You will find that the BFG's minimum rim width is 7.5" and the Mickey T's are 7". Not sure why this is but thats why I went with the MTZ as they are approved for our rims.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Keep in mined that your speedo will also read out by about 7percent with 33's
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby fitz on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks Buzzy. Yeah I am prepared to cut away some of the mudflap, and I am aware of the speedo being out.

Good point about the rim width though!
fitz

Postby fitz on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:33 pm

I know prices of BFG M/T KM2s but what is the going rate for the 33" MTZ?
fitz

Postby UAV on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:40 pm

follow link, also cooper and simex prices (RRP)

http://www.widetread.net.au/4x4_baja_1.htm
UAV

Postby Buzzy on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:52 pm

fitz wrote:I know prices of BFG M/T KM2s but what is the going rate for the 33" MTZ?

I think about $380ea. Do you want a set, thinking of getting rid of mine, only done 8K :P
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby UAV on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Buzzy wrote:
fitz wrote:I know prices of BFG M/T KM2s but what is the going rate for the 33" MTZ?

I think about $380ea. Do you want a set, thinking of getting rid of mine, only done 8K :P

interested to see what you want to get to replace
UAV

Postby Buzzy on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:22 pm

32atz's or bfg at's or something, not sure what im going to do yet. Dont use my mtz enough :cry:
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby fitz on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:47 pm

Buzzy wrote:32atz's or bfg at's or something, not sure what im going to do yet. Dont use my mtz enough :cry:

What are you looking for a set?

Is this 5 tyres?
fitz

Postby Buzzy on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:50 am

fitz I will pm you mate so as to keep this thread on topic 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Tony on Sat May 22, 2010 11:34 pm

GLX-R MN wrote:I have fitted Coopers Zeon LTZ 265/70/17. Fit nicely and very good on the black top. I haven't used them in anger off road yet but so far very happy. They should wear OK as have a 80k warranty for what its worth :lol: I'll keep you posted as we rack up some kays.

Any one from QLD ignore this as your not allowed to have them :twisted: :roll:
Have racked up 15000 ks so far and have no visual wear. I can feel a slight edge on the fronts so time to rotate. My wife and I both corner very hard so this is expected. Most of our trips are over 800km, so we don't stuff around :roll:
The LTZ's have done very well in the mud for a hybrid and seem to be quite durable in our stony tracks here. (I have just stuffed two Michelin's on another vehicle tonight on a track the LTZ's go over often)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fitz on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Now running 285/75 Mickey T MTZ. I have a 2" lift (well a bit more than 2" at the back and a bit less than 2" in the front because of my issue with HD Lovells) and the tyres fit without any rubbing.

I did have to do a little surgery with the front mudflap (the big pastic bit down the bottom before the actual flap bit starts). I just ground down the 5mm plastic to about 2mm and all is good.

The spare fits with loads and loads of room (about 1mm each side but who's measuring!)

I must say the MTZ do look pretty good, and they seem to give me a lot more grip and control off road.

Doing a big trip soon so only time will tell how they wear and how they handle very harsh tracks.
fitz

Postby azzaroo on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:47 pm

bob jane quoted me $650 changeover for 4 yokoharmer geolander AT's 265 65 17 .

anyone know anything about these tyres?its for a new mn .
cheers aaron
azzaroo

Postby Tony on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:59 pm

azzaroo wrote:bob jane quoted me $650 changeover for 4 yokoharmer geolander AT's 265 65 17 .

anyone know anything about these tyres?its for a new mn .
cheers aaron

Had them on my old MJ and still run a set on my Range rover. Not a bad tyre. Good on the black top, wear OK, not so good in mud and green grass etc, Not bad in rocks and quite good in sand. More like a H/T in my opinion.
You cant go wrong for the change over price quoted. Be a mile better than the stock tyres for sure. :)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby azzaroo on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:01 pm

thx mn glxr , yeah they look more ht than at but i'm heading around oz and will be doing heaps of road and beach and some bush[maybe heaps of bush too?]i dunno ,but they look like a fairly universal trye for someone that dosent go too mad in the scrub [yet]its just the poor selection you get with the mn 17inch rim thats got me confused :?
azzaroo

Postby Diddy on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:01 pm

azzaroo wrote:thx mn glxr , yeah they look more ht than at but i'm heading around oz and will be doing heaps of road and beach and some bush[maybe heaps of bush too?]i dunno ,but they look like a fairly universal trye for someone that dosent go too mad in the scrub [yet]its just the poor selection you get with the mn 17inch rim thats got me confused :?

hey mate you really should be running these i bought them a month ago they are kumho KL71 mud they are awesome on road extremely quiet and like u wouldnt believe in the bush and on the beach they are 265/70/17 and there only $299ea ive had the others on my other 4x4 and by far these are the best going around.
Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby Grumpy on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 pm

Excuse my apparent ignorance but through this article most people seem to be putting 265 width tyres on. My ML GLXR came with 245 X 16. Can anyone PLEASE tell me what max width SHOULD go on that standard wheel. Thanks.
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes...Grumpy
Grumpy

Postby Diddy on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 pm

Grumpy wrote:Excuse my apparent ignorance but through this article most people seem to be putting 265 width tyres on. My ML GLXR came with 245 X 16. Can anyone PLEASE tell me what max width SHOULD go on that standard wheel. Thanks.

grumpy u will get 285's but u will have to do a susp lift 50mm other than that you will only get 265/75/16 under but it wont leave much room
Diddy

Postby azzaroo on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:36 am

thx did ..will have a look at those ..they look pretty tough :twisted:
azzaroo

Postby R33F on Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:16 am

azzaroo wrote:thx mn glxr , yeah they look more ht than at but i'm heading around oz and will be doing heaps of road and beach and some bush[maybe heaps of bush too?]i dunno ,but they look like a fairly universal trye for someone that dosent go too mad in the scrub [yet]its just the poor selection you get with the mn 17inch rim thats got me confused :?

Hey aazaroo, is there any reason why you are not looking at the MT ATZ 5 beads ??

I have been running a set now for 5'000k's and am really impressed with them. There are quite a few on here that use them as well, and I think there has been only 1 or 2 users that haven't been 100% satisfied.

The road noise is minimal (great if travelling with young ones), and they work great in the sand, and very well in other conditions. I have found they run great when dropped to about 20psi in all the conditions I have used them in.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com.au/index.php?page=Testimonial-1

my 2c.

Cheers,
"They'll bury the pool, we'll dig it out. They fill it with water, we'll empty it. The bulldoze it, we'll rebuild it. We cannot be stopped" - Dave Ruel.
R33F

Postby Homer on Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:37 am

DiD Power wrote:
Grumpy wrote:Excuse my apparent ignorance but through this article most people seem to be putting 265 width tyres on. My ML GLXR came with 245 X 16. Can anyone PLEASE tell me what max width SHOULD go on that standard wheel. Thanks.

grumpy u will get 285's but u will have to do a susp lift 50mm other than that you will only get 265/75/16 under but it wont leave much room

Contrary to popular belief you can fit 285's on a standard Triton mate - have a click HERE - you do however have to remove the front mud flap - not really an issue if you have sidesteps/sliders etc to catch all the mud and rocks anyway.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Diddy on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:08 am

Well there u go u learn something new everyday
Diddy

Postby Homer on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:24 am

Yes surprised me too..and I liked the home made ramps :shock:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby fridgie on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:15 pm

Mate, any tyre place can answer that one, and they will all just about say something different :evil: . Different brands have different specs in relation to tyre width. Just make sure you take into consideration the tyre laws applicable in your area. A lot of the guys on here aren't exactly what you would call legal for tyre size they run. Doesn't make a difference to me so I'm running 265/75R16 but here in Queensland they are about 40mm too big according to the rules ;) :twisted:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels