Tyre Survey

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Tyre Survey

Postby R33F on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:10 am

Grumpy wrote:Excuse my apparent ignorance but through this article most people seem to be putting 265 width tyres on. My ML GLXR came with 245 X 16. Can anyone PLEASE tell me what max width SHOULD go on that standard wheel. Thanks.

Hey Grumpy, there is a heap of threads and topics already done on this so have a little search through those mate. You haven't stated what state you in on your profile, there for posting a link as the rules may vary slightly depending on the state you live in.

Below is a handy link:
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

from this thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4584

I have checked the laws and regs for QLD and can legally run 265's on my Triton.

I have also notified the Insurance company and told them them I am putting the size tyres on my car, and they comly within the rules and regs.

Cheers,
"They'll bury the pool, we'll dig it out. They fill it with water, we'll empty it. The bulldoze it, we'll rebuild it. We cannot be stopped" - Dave Ruel.
R33F

Postby R33F on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:18 am

fridgie wrote:
Grumpy wrote:Excuse my apparent ignorance but through this article most people seem to be putting 265 width tyres on. My ML GLXR came with 245 X 16. Can anyone PLEASE tell me what max width SHOULD go on that standard wheel. Thanks.

Mate, any tyre place can answer that one, and they will all just about say something different :evil: . Different brands have different specs in relation to tyre width. Just make sure you take into consideration the tyre laws applicable in your area. A lot of the guys on here aren't exactly what you would call legal for tyre size they run. Doesn't make a difference to me so I'm running 265/75R16 but here in Queensland they are about 40mm too big according to the rules ;) :twisted:

Fridgie,

Page 11 of the link below from QLD transport refers to Tyes, and also Off-Raod Passanger Vehicles.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/ebde8d0521b67c6/Pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

The maximum tyre width for a car or car derivative must
not be more than 1.3 times the vehicle manufacturer’s
widest optional tyre.
However, for an off-road passenger vehicle fitted with
front and rear beam axles, the maximum tyre width
must not be more than 1.5 times the vehicle
manufacturer’s widest optional tyre.

The nominal width of the narrowest tyre fitted to a
vehicle must not be less than 70 per cent of the nominal
width of the largest tyre fitted and never less than the
vehicle manufacturer’s narrowest optional tyre as
indicated on the manufacturer’s tyre placard.
"They'll bury the pool, we'll dig it out. They fill it with water, we'll empty it. The bulldoze it, we'll rebuild it. We cannot be stopped" - Dave Ruel.
R33F

Postby Diddy on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:28 am

I no what they should do with the rules and regs
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby R33F on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:35 am

DiD Power wrote:I no what they should do with the rules and regs

not saying that I agree with them - or if I wanted a different width tyre would necessarily follow them DiD.

just trying to help out Grumpy on what exact width SHOULD go on that standard wheel.

and seeing as Grumpy used CAPITAL LETTERS on the SHOULD, I sort of figured I would make it my highest priority, until my attention span ran out..... which isn't far away now....

:D
R33F

Postby mjwilmo on Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi all, Im trying to arrange with a tyre shop for a changeover of OEM tyres for a new set upon delivery of my GLX-R in a week or so. Could someone tell me brand/model the OEM tyres are on the MN GLX-R?

Plenty of posts about the size, just not sure about the make/ model. Cheers, Matt
mjwilmo

Postby mjwilmo on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:25 pm

In an attempt to find the answer to my own question I did some more searching, but still not totally clear, is it Bridgstone Dueller H/T 's?

mjwilmo wrote:Hi all, Im trying to arrange with a tyre shop for a changeover of OEM tyres for a new set upon delivery of my GLX-R in a week or so. Could someone tell me brand/model the OEM tyres are on the MN GLX-R?

Plenty of posts about the size, just not sure about the make/ model. Cheers, Matt
mjwilmo

Postby al coholic on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:34 pm

mjwilmo wrote:In an attempt to find the answer to my own question I did some more searching, but still not totally clear, is it Bridgstone Dueller H/T 's?

mjwilmo wrote:Hi all, Im trying to arrange with a tyre shop for a changeover of OEM tyres for a new set upon delivery of my GLX-R in a week or so. Could someone tell me brand/model the OEM tyres are on the MN GLX-R?

Yep........at least on mine they were ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby fridgie on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Pretty sure these were the originals for mine, although mine is an 07 ML so might not be right for the MN

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... H%2FT+D840
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:19 pm

yep dueler D840s. size is 245/65 R17. alloys are 7.5 wide. posted elsewhere today about the D694s (265/65/17) being on sale at Bob Jane at the moment if you're interested.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Homer on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:52 am

I've been happy enough with the 694's...good wet road tyre
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:15 pm

"tyre survey"........ :? :? :? :? :?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mjwilmo on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:01 pm

snowman wrote:"tyre survey"........ :? :? :? :? :?

sorry, my bad.. but thanks for the answers, I'll let you all get back to it. I'll post my answers once i finally get my Triton and some new treads (hopefully very shortly after).

carry on.
mjwilmo

Postby JamoGLXR on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:30 pm

Size: 255/65/17
Brand: Maxxis
Style: MT 762 Bighorns
Handle on road: Good in the dry, havent experienced the wet yet. Noisey as you would expect from a muddy
Handle off Road: Dry Rocky gravel is good, i was expecting TC to cut in but i didnt notice it
Wear & Tear: Still too new
Price: $290 a tyre
Does Spare fit Y/N: picked the last 4 in NSW, spare coming from Perth
Overall Diameter: 764mm 14mm increase 1.8% faster

Will edit later
PM me at anytime if any questions :)
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby jacky_moo on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:30 am

Size: 275/45/R20
Brand: Maxxis
Style: Marauder II
Handle on road: Quiet & sticky in dry conditions , excellent in the wet
Handle off Road: Not exactly an off road tyre, handles dirt roads . bad for any mud/clay
Wear & Tear: Clocked approx 15k on them and are wearing well (soft compound so sacrifice wear for grip)
Price: $275 a tyre
Does Spare fit Y/N: dont have a spare 20inch rim
Overall Diameter: 754mm
jacky_moo

Postby Fnordy on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:59 am

Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/70R17. They sit right on the 17x7.5 factory rims. Swan Tyres in Perth have a bunch of spare factory rims so I got a the sixth as well.

Spare fits snugly between the ladder frame chassis underneath but I don't think anything of a bigger diameter would squeeze into the space for the factory spare!

Cheers
Fnordy

MY10 GLX-R Manual Diesel (loads of mods - see shed)
MY09 200 Series VX Landcruiser (stock standard with Poly Airbags & UHF)

MY09 Giant TCR-Advanced 1
MY10 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
Fnordy

Postby borngeek on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:38 am

Size: 265/70/R17 LT
Brand: Cooper Zeon LTZ
Style: Aggressive All Terrain
Handle on road: Excellent lots of grip wet and dry. Better than the stock tyres on road by a lot.
Handle off Road: Top notch off road as well.
Wear & Tear: Few scratches and nicks from dirt work in rocky tablelands mud. seem tough bit new to know.
Price: $359 per corner :shock:
Does Spare fit Y/N: dunno say so.

Rate these tyres!! Very quiet on road and cut thru mud really well.

:mrgreen:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby The Alberto on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:26 am

Size: 265 70 R17
Brand: Mickey Thompson
Style: MTZ
Handle on road: DUNNO - Going on tomorrow, however from all reports and research = very good
Handle off Road: DUNNO - Going on tomorrow, however from all reports and research = very good
Price: $395 a tyre
Does Spare fit Y/N: YES, tried it before I bought them, squeezy but OK.
Overall Diameter: 810mm - so YES they are illegal in QLD by 45mm OD. :roll: Having said that, the small upgrade to 265 65 R17 BFG All Terrains that I looked at had me illegal by 11mm! It's like being a little bit pregnant - either you are or you aren't. ;) QLD transport needs to pull their heads out of their arses and catch up with the real world. The 265 65 R17 IMO do not fill up the guards sufficiently after a lift, so I thought stuff it I'll get what I want coz I'd be pissed if I got booked for 11mm over!
The Alberto

Postby fitz on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:01 am

Size: 285 75 R16
Brand: Mickey Thompson
Style: MTZ

I bought these to replace my 265/75 BFG A/T. Because the standard Triton rim is 16x7 only the MTZ are rated size-wise to fit on a 7" rim. I know you can push it with other tyres but considering I use the full inflation range I didn't want to be rolling off a rim.

They were new before I did the Simpson Desert / Channel Country / Red Centre trip. I've now done about 13,000kms on them on some good roads, dirt roads, rocky road, rubbish roads and all sorts of off-road tracks.

Handle on road: Very good - They are bigger so obviously have a little more roll than smaller tyres
Handle off Road: Excellent - Have done a lot of different terrains and perform very well. No chipping issues either.
Price: $380 (about) a tyre
Does Spare fit Y/N: YES no problems....mms to spare!.
Overall Diameter: 838mm
fitz

Postby salt36 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:39 pm

The local Goodyear shop has a set of Wrangler Silent Armour A/T's for $900 ( 5 tyres) trade my new spare.

Intersting size 245/75/17

Seems cheap, has anyone had the silent armour's before?

Comments.........
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Geell-Exar on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:47 pm

Im getting some 265x70 r16 maxxis 771 ATZ wednesday, has anyone got these badboys fitted, Im getting them cheap as.. They are 195 per tyre fitted balanced and wheel alignment. thoughts anyone?
Geell-Exar

Postby Homer on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:57 pm

salt36 wrote:The local Goodyear shop has a set of Wrangler Silent Armour A/T's for $900 ( 5 tyres) trade my new spare.

Intersting size 245/75/17

Seems cheap, has anyone had the silent armour's before?

Comments.........

Bobp loves them...worth giving him a PM. Sounds like a good price, they're normally exy.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby salt36 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:00 pm

^^ Thanks homer :D
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby jop on Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Geell-Exar wrote:Im getting some 265x70 r16 maxxis 771 ATZ wednesday, has anyone got these badboys fitted, Im getting them cheap as.. They are 195 per tyre fitted balanced and wheel alignment. thoughts anyone?

I reckon they will be a great tyre - just not LT construction is all
jop

Postby Geell-Exar on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:13 pm

sweet, LT? i took a guess at light truck haha
Geell-Exar

Postby 4x4_bugsy on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:15 am

What Size? 265/75 R16

Brand? Dick Cepek FC-II

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) A/T

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Awesome grip wet or dry on road bit noisy but acceptable

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) Perfect compromise without the hassle of muddies.

Price per tyre? (if you want) $320ish

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) 400km and no appreciable signs of wear. 70000km guarantee
4x4_bugsy

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels