16 v's 17 worth changing to 16's

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: 16 v's 17 worth changing to 16's

Postby Homer on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:40 am

The Goodyears would have to be a mighty tyre to be as good or better than the Bridgestone's Moe ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Interdec on Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:53 pm

Mr Moe wrote:
snowman wrote:other issues aside it is only 1/2 an inch in tyre sidewall depth you gain in a 16".

the one inch is over the diameter, not the radius.

Yep... that's the one... i was just having that thought today when i went to the "thinking room" and thought back to the conversation i had with the local tyre dealer and remember the part he said "1/2 on top 1/2 on bottom, gives 1" extra height"

Eh? Confused as to how the 1/2 on top can give any extra height? Consider that the 1/2 on top isn't actually touching the road!
4wd26 wrote:Your sizes are incorrect
in 17" the equivalent size is 265/70/17 or 32"
I have run and tested the triton in 32" sizes on 16 and 17" rims as wells are higher sidewall 235/85/16 (32" tyres)
really in what you are doing 17" will be fine, especially if around the same price.

Yep... there's a good chance on that one... haha

Just running the digits that the tyre guy gave me and i noted down... So definitely flagging this part to go over with him again to make sure i'm not led too far up the garden path...

Another reason i was also thinking of RIM upgrade was to get black/gun metal rims... yea its just a looks factor... but i kind of like that look. Thought about powder coating the current ones... but scratch factor and finding a good place to get it done is the next thing which kind of made me ditch the idea...

Not a deal breaker though... current rims aren't that bad to look at... the main concern is the right rubber at the end of the day.

Would you say that the "bagging" factor between the 2 different rim/tyre sizes would be very noticeable... Seems to be one of the main points the Tyre guy was suggesting as the main difference/benefits... But surely that little 1/2" can't be that much of a big difference... can it?... and that's in regards to the tyre too... :lol:
Interdec

Postby Mr Moe on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:32 pm

Interdec wrote:Eh? Confused as to how the 1/2 on top can give any extra height? Consider that the 1/2 on top isn't actually touching the road!

Doesn't... guess i probably should have worded my reply a little different... i tend to not proof read my stuff, which quite often makes me sound stupider than i already am... lol

It's an inch in diameter that is gained, and only half an inch height... Sorry for the confusion.
Mr Moe

Postby salt36 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Homer wrote:The Goodyears would have to be a mighty tyre to be as good or better than the Bridgestone's Moe ;)

I have the Goodyear Wrangler 'Silent Armour' They wear not to bad, Still at about 50% tread, no idea how many K's.....

DANGEROUS in the wet :shock: seriously have to slow down and take extreme care or the ute drifts around like it is on marbles :shock:

Good comfy tyre to drive on in the dry though

Bloody awesome on the sand, I drive straight past all the other clowns who get stuck, the guys from previous SA Aussie day trips will vouch for that... :lol: :D

Moe, I looked at the new ones you mention and they look OK, having the 95.000 K guarantee would be a bonus. i love the way they mention they are improved in the wet compared to the silent armour's :lol:

I also have a set of Bridgestone D694's that will not wear out :shock: I must have done 30-40,000 K on them and still look like new :shock: 8-) Haven't tried them on sand as yet but they are very good in everything else, especially mud which surprised me :D
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Mr Moe on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Yea i ended up opting with the Dueler 697's... liked the look of the tread pattern on them a bit better than the new Wrangler AT Adventure pattern, and didn't have the funds to dispose of on a set i didn't know too much about seeing they are apparently new to market. We've always had Duelers in the family ever since getting a 4wd back in 1991, so they have a strong hold in the family and have never led us up a path we couldn't get out of with them so to speak.

Just got back Yesty from Pt Lincoln too after hitting the national parks in Coffins and Lincoln, can't complain one bit about them and only got stuck due to my stupidity... but got out fine once i turned off the friggin traction control i may have left on when i hit the dunes... woops... haha
Mr Moe

Postby WAGLR on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi All,

have a MN GLR running 245/70/R16 (std alloy rims) currently running B'Stone Duelers AT. Can I safely fit 265/70/R16 Duelers?
WAGLR

Postby Hondon on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:59 pm

sure can mate you can Evan go bigger and run with 265/75/16 if you like even on a a standard vehicle ....there is dedicated thread about this type of stuff too if you want to read up ...
Hondon

Postby g4cube on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:10 pm

I have been thinking of changing my standard 17" and going a better offset 16" does that sound like a good idea or really just asking for trouble since I was looking to get 265/75R16 and nothing bigger. I like the current look just want the wider stance and a bigger tire from what's there now at 245/65R17.
2009 GLX-R dual cab ARB Winch Bar and Alpha Canopy charcoal colour. Now with a 2" lift from ultimate. ARB rear step bar
g4cube

Postby paddstar69 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:58 pm

g4cube I am thinking the same thing. looking at fitting some steel rims in 16" better choice of offset, want to fill out the guard a bit more. does anyone know if there are any issues stepping down from 17" to 16" rims with fouling brake calipers. I have read through this post and there is no specific mention of any issues like brake rubbing.
2011 glxr dual cab
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:10 pm

paddstar69 wrote:g4cube I am thinking the same thing. looking at fitting some steel rims in 16" better choice of offset, want to fill out the guard a bit more. does anyone know if there are any issues stepping down from 17" to 16" rims with fouling brake calipers. I have read through this post and there is no specific mention of any issues like brake rubbing.
2011 glxr dual cab

Don't know if the below link will help you padd :?

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13260

Had a vague glance through and seems so long as you run close to the existing offset you should be fine :)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby paddstar69 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:31 pm

thanks har05l
had a good read of that post and it looks safe as long as I stick to a known brand of steel rim.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JeffH on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:23 am

Hi Guys,

Whilst digressing ever so slightly, I just whacked a set of 16"s on my 2010 GLXr. Initially I had a few issues with the speedy steelies, even though the supplier said they would fit. Drove out the shop and on the first application of the brakes there was a knocking, more so from the left side. Turned around and took it back. The centres were fouling on the calipers and had a clearance of no more than 1mm. So the 17"s went back on and the manager got back on the phone to source a better fitting wheel.
In the end, some Dynamics were sourced with a +28 offset and have a clearance from the calipers of around 5mm (not that the offeset matters, but it does look a lot better than the poxy recessed front end they come std with).
I fitted some of the new Dick Cepek FC's on them and although a hell of a lot noisier than HT's they don't seem overly loud.

But I do have a question regarding insurance in going down a size. How does it affect your policy, I understand each provider will be different, but has anyone had issues with their insurer?
JeffH

Postby Calblitzen on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:07 pm

I wouldn't have thought that was an issue if the 16's and 17's are on the tyre placard.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby JeffH on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:52 pm

thanks mate,

The problem is the placard gives one combination only yet the manual gives three combinations (2 in 16" and 1 in 17")
JeffH

Previous

Return to Tyres & Wheels