15" wheels

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: 15" wheels

Postby snowman on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Homer wrote:I'm sure there is a law saying you must run 16" rims on your Triton mate let's not be silly about this. It's the constitution, it's justice, it's Mabo, it's the law.

I think you may need to do more research on the subject Joel if you don't understand the vibe.

.....and if you have a problem with that Joel go and see Denis Denuto. he'll help you prepare a legal case against the gov't, if he can get his photocopier to work. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISrRmFi13m0

another strike from the "NOTT"
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:04 pm

but most run 32" tyres- why would be go backward in size?

I could run my narrow 34" tyres on a zero offset and still be in the guards

horses for courses- it is what suits your use
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby al coholic on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Click to view larger picture
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby ag9111 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:53 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:59 pm

I knew my sig line would come in handy one day ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby srb on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:01 pm

al coholic wrote:I knew my sig line would come in handy one day ;)

GOLD! I only just noticed your sig line. :lol:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:14 pm

Joel, i think everyone agrees that 15" wheels CAN fit although, looking at your shed, those 33's are way too wide. You're inviting a little conversation with Constable Plod, there.

The question in my mind, though, is "why?" What advantages does a 15" wheel have over a 16" or 17"?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby hvac guy on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:27 pm

the 15 inch bag a lot better then 17 and 16 inch rims and tires are heaps cheaper.

only issues i have found is load rating and speed rating, i will be going to 16inch rims for this reason

at the end of the day if he kills someone with the car being incorrectly modified he will pay the ultimate price.

NOT WORTH THE RISK
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks hvac. Kind of knew the answer anyway, but just wanted it spelled out. Same reason I run 16's rather than making the change to 17's when I could have. Except that in my case the tyre/wheel combination is arguably legal.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Hymie on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:33 pm

So illegal in so many ways.

Standard tyres on a GLX are 205R16C which has an outside diameter of 736mm and 33x12.5R15 has an OD of 832mm you are only allowed 50mm increase in OD. You've increased the track by more than 50mm and I'm sure if you were in an accident tomorrow your insurance company would wipe you out as the first things the police and the insurance companies do is check the tyre size to the tyre placard.

Joel if you continue to run these tyres you are asking for trouble. Even if you get a set of flares to cover your tyres sticking out you are still running illegal tyres. If you can get those 15inch wheels on it doesn't make them legal nor does it make 20inch rims. Engineers have dictated that 16inch rims are the minimum and without a engineers certificate you are just playing with danger.

Until recently most members on here would run with illegal tyres (greater than 15mm increase in OD) but none of us would take the same tact you have by slandering and accusing with name calling etc. Lighten up mate the info the forum is giving you is for your own good and if you want to take it up with the copper that pulls you over because he is just doing his job, than you will find yourself in a big pile of shite.

If you want to run the 15s go for it but pull your head in and don't go around stating that you are right and everyone else is a tosser. You want to run illegal tyres, no-one here cares that you do but I know you will when your insurance company won't cover you or the boys in blue defect your car.

And just for the record, my next mud tyres will be 33's on 16inch rims but I will only run them when I'm heading off road. The rest of the time I'll keep my 31's on.
People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya
Hymie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:01 pm

I want to know what tyre shop fitted a 12.5" wide tyre to a 7" wide rim?
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:18 pm

Guys I think joelsmuch has decided he is a law to himself and regardless of what anybody says and what the qld motor regs state he'll do his own thing. I just hope that he never does injure anybody in an accident because of an illegal motor vehicle.

He has repeated himself numerous times to state what HE can do and HE is right and we are all wrong.

Surely this thread can be locked now as it seems an utter waste of time to further comment.
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bad Kitty on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:46 am

har05l wrote:Guys I think joelsmuch has decided he is a law to himself.

Surely this thread can be locked now as it seems an utter waste of time to further comment.

X 100 Trillion times!!! Amen someone finally said it! Lock this bollix please :roll:
Bad Kitty

Postby snowman on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:54 am

why lock it. :?

look if things dont get personal AND they shouldn't, then other people can read this thread and it's education development.

for the record with me, i decided ton ONLY run standard rims (although i have bought some MN rims which are 7.5 wide vs 7.0 wide ML) because of plenty of issues with other rims including breakages, poor balancing, more weight (steel) and after i weighed it all up even though a 16inch tyre is about $50 cheaper per corner it was not worth spending $200 per corner on decent rims, which often got trashed off road anyway!! i bought almost all my OEM extras for $100/corner or less.

the only thing i would like is a little more offset per side. maybe 20mm (so a +20 rim) but it did not seem worth it.

I think if anything, the massive offset on those rims Joel is what will catch you out. either with the law or with physics as the bearing loads are now well out of centre to the original design. Many of us run 32's which is marginal on the maximum increase but probably not causive of an accident, especially with some of the brake upgrades we have made. 33's are being run but i am not sure on their long term impact on components, especially CV's.

good luck with it anyway. if you do fall foul, then you have been suitably advised by the general population on here. ;)
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Re: 15

Postby snowman on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:56 am

Bad Kitty wrote:
har05l wrote:Guys I think joelsmuch has decided he is a law to himself.

X 100 Trillion times!!! Amen someone finally said it! Lock this bollix please :roll:

Again let me ask.

WHY do we insist on locking threads if someone says something we dont like??????

Ken and Kitty, next time i see you can i tell you to shut the hell up if i dont agree with what you are saying. :? :? :?

Walk away. This Joel character seems like he might be a bit young and impetuous but all the more reason to try and EDUCATE him into the fact that there is more to rim sizes than just if they will bolt on.

DONT LOCK THREADS BECAUSE WE DONT AGREE WITH SOMEONE TECHNICALLY. Sure he is a little brash, i expect he is young and typical of almost all of them nowadays. Get used to that people!!!
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:54 am

BAM! Cop thAT! :lol:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:31 am

i have met Ken and kitty and they both have the constitution for my comment. However i am NOT just making this a comment to them. I am making it to the whole forum.

dont get me wrong we have threads that get a bit emotional and nasty and they need cleaning - but this one had a decent technical base.

i have always maintained this site provides some excellent education qualities but it gets undermined when we only allow 'certain' content to be published. sometimes seeing something wrong is just as good than seeing something that is right.

i have no issue with Ken or Kitty. So i apologise to them both up front. i was making a point. Don't worry peoples they wont hold back on me....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought Ken could get me at Lithgow....but it seems his missus has other ideas :P :P . line is in the water. :lol: :lol: :lol:
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trouble on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:05 am

For (I think the first time) I agree with the OLD :) wise one Mr Snowman, well said!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Tryton08 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:24 am

Jeez What have I started.
I'm glad I sold my set of 15" and went for 16" as my spare set.
Tryton08

Postby har05l on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:43 am

snowman wrote:why lock it. :?

Why not. With the legalities that I have read on the Qld moter regs web site it would be impossible to fit 15's unless you do as joel has and do it the wrong way :roll:

snowman wrote:
Ken and Kitty, next time i see you can i tell you to shut the hell up if i dont agree with what you are saying. :? :? :?

Of course you can

snowman wrote:i have met Ken and kitty and they both have the constitution for my comment.

i have no issue with Ken or Kitty. So i apologise to them both up front. i was making a point. Don't worry peoples they wont hold back on me....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought Ken could get me at Lithgow....but it seems his missus has other ideas :P :P . line is in the water. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:twisted: :lol:

Come hear big fella :lol:

Click to view larger picture
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:05 pm

snowman wrote:
i have always maintained this site provides some excellent education qualities but it gets undermined when we only allow 'certain' content to be published. sometimes seeing something wrong is just as good than seeing something that is right.

I couldn't agree more. If those who express different views get flamed new members or lurker's who may be hesitant in posting generally won't contribute.

A forum needs the variety of members sharing their views and experienced to grow its knowledge base. It would become a pretty stale place otherwise.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby joelmusch on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:55 am

i told you that you can legally run a 15x7 -20 with a 31/10.5 with 0 poke? yet all the comments keep coming back to my 33"s how about people take that advice on how to run a 15 with neg offset with a 31 and stop criticising my ute. I've been pulled over many times in the past 6 months with my car the way it is and not once have they told me there issue with it, they were more worried about my big i love sl#ts sticker
joelmusch

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:07 pm

Saying it over and over again doesn't make it any more right than it was the first time.

You take the view that what you're doing is legal and that's fine, it's your vehicle, your licence, your insurance and so on that's at risk, no one else's. Others take the view that what you're doing is illegal and unwise. They've given that advice and you've chosen to ignore it. Also fine. Totally up to you.

It's probably time for us all to accept though that you're not going to persuade anyone else across to your point of view, beyond establishing that there are some 15 inch rims that will physically fit, although no one seems able to actually identify a brand and offset where that is guaranteed.

Repeated posts along the lines of 'I'm right and you're wrong' aren't going to get the argument across the line. Similarly repeated posts by others who think you're wrong aren't going to persuade you to do anything differently, you've made up your mind and it's clear you intend to continue as before regardless.

Time to let it all go people and move on, unless there is something of actual value to be added to the discussion.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:31 pm

joelmusch wrote:i told you that you can legally run a 15x7 -20 with a 31/10.5 with 0 poke?

mate clearly i have been an advocate of your posting. But this above statement is absolutely and totally wrong.you could run a 28inch diameter tyre and it will still be illegal.

you are effectively running an additional 116mm of WIDTH on your axle track (standard +38 you run -20 / rim). This is clearly in breach of the laws without suitable engineering (even if they could get it).

I agree with CD. you either clearly don't understand the written legal requirements or you don't care to. Placing it in writing again and again wont change this.

Go and see an automotive engineer and ask him if it is legal. once he stops laughing he will give you some advice on what you can/cant do. Clearly we are not qualified to provide you with advice that you accept.

In life i would be the first person to say not to believe the word of one person. However, when many multiple people tell you the same story then there is probably good reason to at least rationalise if they may be right.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby joelmusch on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:51 pm

i don't drive my triton every day it is purely a weekend car i have a 2012 wrx sti as a daily, okay i agree with you guys everything iv said is all wrong and I'm modding my triton all wrong. i give up
joelmusch

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels