15" wheels

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: 15" wheels

Postby snowman on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:05 pm

joelmusch wrote:i don't drive my triton every day it is purely a weekend car i have a 2012 wrx sti as a daily, okay i agree with you guys everything iv said is all wrong and I'm modding my triton all wrong. i give up

it is not really a wrong or right issue as many of us have items that may creep outside of the pure letter of the law, but your current wheel offset is illegal. Don't kid yourself that it is not.

none of us are telling you you should remove it. we are just telling you that you are exposing yourself to prosecution.

If you get defected don't act like you didn't know as you have clearly been advised by this forum.

the extra track makes a big difference offroad for stability. :D :D
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:12 pm

joelmusch wrote:i don't drive my triton every day it is purely a weekend car i have a 2012 wrx sti as a daily, okay i agree with you guys everything iv said is all wrong and I'm modding my triton all wrong. i give up

Now it all makes sense :twisted: :lol: :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby joelmusch on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:31 pm

haha what does that mean?
joelmusch

Postby irwazza on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Troll alert
irwazza

15 inch wheels on my triton

Postby B_radical on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:49 am

Hi I'm looking at upgrading my wheels and tyres and was just wondering if anyone has put 15 inch rims on there mn triton
Thanks
B_radical

Postby ag9111 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Not that I am aware of.
caliper clearance is a major issue.
some have said they have done it but I am unaware of anybody proving it with brand, offset, width etc.

I dont believe it is possible.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:58 pm

The claim often made on Facebook is that the calipers on the base model are smaller than on the glxr. I'm less than convinced of that.

I've seen others say you should just grind the calipers down for clearance which is something I view as both unsafe and frankly stupid.

With the popularity of 16 & 17 inch rims now is there really that much benefit to 15s?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby triton_guru on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:43 pm

15" dynamic rims with a negative 26 offset will work, about $80 a rim I think is the going rate
triton_guru

Postby ag9111 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:53 pm

triton_guru wrote:15" dynamic rims with a negative 26 offset will work, about $80 a rim I think is the going rate

Totally useless. The stress on the driveline would be massive and our local boys in blue would have a field day if you were running 7.5" rims.
Tyres would stick out about 50mm with 265 tyres

As I said. Nobody has proven it bar theory

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton_guru on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:04 pm

ag9111 wrote:
triton_guru wrote:15" dynamic rims with a negative 26 offset will work, about $80 a rim I think is the going rate

Totally useless. The stress on the driveline would be massive and our local boys in blue would have a field day if you were running 7.5" rims.

And this is what happens when people who dont know reply, tyres with 33x12.5 will stick out 40mm past the guard on a glxr with flares, good clearance around the brake calipers, those rims that I said before will clear. Yes there would be excessive strain on driveline but if you research the spindles that are on out cars there could be the same spindle on a earlier model pajero? And they wont have the same stupid positive offset that our tritons come out with. Not saying there is just saying its a possibility was the same for my old Hilux and not condoning putting negative offsets on your car just answering the question :)
triton_guru

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:07 pm

From the Facebook crowd. Alloy rims are better than steel. Steel they often have a ridge in the centre. -14 to -44 offset seems to be the "sweet spot". I strongly think many grind there calipers. All good to you have an accident and major crash gets involved YMMV. Quite a few pictures floating around of MN/ML with 15's fitted. Early Hilux rims are rumored to work. ML GLX it is said have smaller calipers.
No one on FB seems to care about big negative offset and the stress it puts on there drive train or vibration issues when driving (keeping wheel alignments).

The main thing is they look fully sick.
L200Shogun

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:11 pm

From +38 to -26 the edge of the outer rim will stick out 64mm plus another 12 if you go to 8" rims. So 76 mm wider.
L200Shogun

Postby triton_guru on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:19 pm

Pretty sure my ml glxr rims were +27
triton_guru

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:50 pm

MN's are +38 and I thought ML's were too. I guess we could consult 26's wheel offset bible...

Cowboy Dave

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:53 pm

L200Shogun

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:38 pm

Nice site. I prefer our resident expert though - same figures but at least it's local info:

Triton ML
GLX- steel or alloy 16x6.0 ET46
VR- Alloy 16x7.0 ET38
GLX-r alloy16x7.0 ET38
GLX-r alloy (MY2009- after april 2008) 17x7.0 ET38

Triton MN
GL-r Alloy 17x7.0 ET38
GLX-r Alloy 17x7.5 ET38

Challenger PB (2010 on)1
7" x 7.5" ET38

PC Challenger
Base model has a 16" x 7" (+38)
LS model has 17" x 7.5" (+38)

The other thing that jumped out at me was an extract from VSB14 (is that NSW?) which said this:

Modifications to disc brake callipers, hubs and suspension and steering components to enable the fitting of replacement wheels must not be undertaken.

So not only is grinding callipers a bad idea it is illegal wherever that VSB14 came from.

Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:49 am

triton_guru wrote:
ag9111 wrote:

And this is what happens when people who dont know reply, tyres with 33x12.5 will stick out 40mm past the guard on a glxr with flares, good clearance around the brake calipers, those rims that I said before will clear. Yes there would be excessive strain on driveline but if you research the spindles that are on out cars there could be the same spindle on a earlier model pajero? And they wont have the same stupid positive offset that our tritons come out with. Not saying there is just saying its a possibility was the same for my old Hilux and not condoning putting negative offsets on your car just answering the question :)

This from an "expert" who doesn't know the offset of his rims

For those playing at home. OEM MN GLX-R rims are +38 NOT +27. Just clearing that up.

My 265 Cooper SST's on +15 kings rims protrude past the flare by 6mm @ 36psi measured. Not guessed or estimated but measured.

Still to see anybody prove with rims and tyres on a vehicle that 15's" are a viable rim tyre alternative. +50 or +76, as per L200Shogun, outside the flares is not a viable alternative in Australia without major engineering

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton_guru on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:57 am

Sorry about the alloy offset its what tyre power had down in their book, now it is proven because lets just say I have a friend who has those exact rims and tyres on his triton fact not assumption but proven! Instead of jumping down the legal side of stuff every 5 minutes why dont we try and answer the questions people are asking like I have done? Rather than shutting them down and trying to make them feel stupid for even asking?
triton_guru

Postby triton_guru on Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:52 am

Lol mate read every page on this thread is there enough legal stuff there for you? Or should we just keep repeating ourselves?

Benefits you can run 33x12.5 tyres so as wide as 315x75r16 (35's) but not as tall, tyres are normally cheaper, more sidewall (that one can go either way) yes they do fit my experience with my "offroad wheel and rims" are negative 26 offset and I have about 4-5mm clearance from the disc caliper which is more than what I had with the 16s at zero offset. My offroad rims are dynamic I think the brand is.
triton_guru

15" wheels

Postby al coholic on Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:45 pm

triton_guru wrote:Pretty sure my ml glxr rims were +27

Nope, they are +38

But............
triton_guru wrote: this is what happens when people who dont know reply

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have only once seen photos (on a forum, not the knobs on Facebook) of a bloke who fitted 15's to an ML. The only photos he posted were side on to the vehicle, nothing showing the stance or calliper clearance.

I can't say I really understand why you would want to though?? 15 inch rims were common on vehicles in 1980-1990. It's now 2015! 16's, even 17's are very very common, you would not find a tyre shop that wouldn't have the size you wanted. Tyres for 16" rims are not that much more expensive, comparatively speaking, (same brand, tread pattern etc.) it's probably just that you can get more cheap rubbish tyres of eBay that make 15's look heaps cheaper ;)
Last edited by al coholic on Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Re: 15

Postby triton_guru on Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:54 pm

al coholic wrote:
triton_guru wrote:Pretty sure my ml glxr rims were +27

Nope, they are +38

But............
triton_guru wrote: this is what happens when people who dont know reply

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And this is what happens when tossers reply :lol:
triton_guru

Postby 4wd26 on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:05 pm

guru

I believe you, can you please post up a picture of your vehicle wearing these rims and tyres

I for one would like to see it, also with the 35" tyres you had for a while.....

////
I'm also sure that I have posted in this thread before and can confirm the 15" rims can and do fit, a lot depends on offset and brand, BUT the best offset (closest to a standard Mitsubishi offset) I have seen/ experienced is -14, so 50mm wider on each side than standard so track increase of 100mm

wider track is a great idea, 50mm being legal maximum, but that is not what we should be discussing here in the thread.

15" rims fit, may have to look/ test a few out

Jacko I believe fitted 15" rims to his triton in 2009- so not a new concept, but getting the correct rim and offset was difficult, and then add in tyre width/ height and how far some are prepared to go to get them to fit with the guards (that will be the other problem with larger than 32" tyres on the 15" rims.

so you have
Calliper clearance issues- can be fixed by wide offset rims
body panel clearance with taller tyres- fixed by only driving to the mall, or a big mallet, grinder, mudflap removal
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby triton_guru on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:08 pm

4wd26 wrote:guru

I believe you, can you please post up a picture of your vehicle wearing these rims and tyres

I for one would like to see it, also with the 35" tyres you had for a while.....

////
I'm also sure that I have posted in this thread before and can confirm the 15" rims can and do fit, a lot depends on offset and brand, BUT the best offset (closest to a standard Mitsubishi offset) I have seen/ experienced is -14, so 50mm wider on each side than standard so track increase of 100mm

wider track is a great idea, 50mm being legal maximum, but that is not what we should be discussing here in the thread.

15" rims fit, may have to look/ test a few out

Jacko I believe fitted 15" rims to his triton in 2009- so not a new concept, but getting the correct rim and offset was difficult, and then add in tyre width/ height and how far some are prepared to go to get them to fit with the guards (that will be the other problem with larger than 32" tyres on the 15" rims.

so you have
Calliper clearance issues- can be fixed by wide offset rims
body panel clearance with taller tyres- fixed by only driving to the mall, or a big mallet, grinder, mudflap removal

I'll take some pictures now
triton_guru

Postby triton_guru on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:23 pm

Click to view larger picture[/URL]

Last one is the 35s, as you can see they dont stick out the guards that much and no clearance issues at all
triton_guru

Postby baito on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Mate can you tell me the brand of rim, and width plus the offset for these? If im gonna go steel id rather have 15's
Cheers
By the way itlooks tuff mate
baito

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels