Cracked and Split COOPERS

Need something to get you rolling?

Cracked and Split COOPERS

Postby Dunga71 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:37 am

On inspection of my tyers after getting home from Fraser last night i noticed some cracking and splitting just above the bead on all 4 of my Cooper St maxx 17s :?
I went to the tyer dealer where i had them fitted and expressed my concerns,i have only done 6000km on them and they promplty said they would fit a brand new set this arvo :D
Very happy with the no questions replacement but will the new ones do the same :? he said he has only seen one other set do this and they where 17s aswell.
Has anyone else had this problem ?
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Re: Cracked and Split COOPERS

Postby Duck on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:19 am

Geez Dunga you are having some good luck !!! If you have a look at the forums on those tyres it was not that uncommon, that is why they went to the AT3, version to apparently get around this problem well that is what the Copper guy said to me at the 4x4 show, my last coopers also started cracking, I now have the At3 only done 10,00 on them but no cracking yet & much better in the wet. Were you hiding on Fraser ? Have you locked it in yet for the yearly getaway ? I posted a few photos on your fraser speel.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby odie602r on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:19 am

Were you doing lots of fast ish driving with low pressures?
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dunga71 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:24 am

Na Oldie just sneaking a round,lowest i went was 22psi,didnt exceed 70km on the sand.
Ha ha Duck i did come up to the high camp at Waddy but i think you where gone
Dunga71

Postby odie602r on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:26 am

Duck wrote:Geez Dunga you are having some good luck !!! If you have a look at the forums on those tyres it was not that uncommon, that is why they went to the AT3, version to apparently get around this problem well that is what the Copper guy said to me at the 4x4 show, my last coopers also started cracking, I now have the At3 only done 10,00 on them but no cracking yet & much better in the wet. Were you hiding on Fraser ? Have you locked it in yet for the yearly getaway ? I posted a few photos on your fraser speel.

My understanding is that the AT3 and ST Maxx are both the current tyre range, replacing the ATR and ST respectively (I think). AT3 is slightly more road biased 70/30 than the ST Maxx 50/50, according to cooper website.

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dunga71 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:28 am

odie602r wrote:
Duck wrote:Geez Dunga you are having some good luck !!! If you have a look at the forums on those tyres it was not that uncommon, that is why they went to the AT3, version to apparently get around this problem well that is what the Copper guy said to me at the 4x4 show, my last coopers also started cracking, I now have the At3 only done 10,00 on them but no cracking yet & much better in the wet. Were you hiding on Fraser ? Have you locked it in yet for the yearly getaway ? I posted a few photos on your fraser speel.

My understanding is that the AT3 and ST Maxx are both the current tyre range, replacing the ATR and ST respectively (I think). AT3 is slightly more road biased 70/30 than the ST Maxx 50/50, according to cooper website.

Thats correct Oldie
Dunga71

Postby Dunga71 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:29 am

At the end of the day im getting a new set no questions asked so there good for the warranty,id be happy with a new set every 6000km ;) :lol: :lol:
Dunga71

Postby odie602r on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:40 am

That's great news - always encouraging when a manufacturer sticks to their presented word without pulling out a list of fine print clauses that were lurking in the background.

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Duck on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:43 am

Well its obvious that I have no idea what I'm talking about ! Thanks for pointing that out Odie not OLDIE as Dunga like to refer to you, I think that the coopers Gods are punishing Dunga for having a good time on Fraser...........
If you new your were getting new tyres you could have made sure that there was no tread left on them BEACH BURNOUTS.

odie602r wrote:

Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Lovethatcar on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:46 pm

I've got 245/75R16 cooper st maxx with 10000 on them, no cracks or any signs of anything like that. I've been on Stockton beach ripping around with 18 psi for a few hours one Arvo to.
Lovethatcar

Postby mattz on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:28 pm

That's great they are swapping them to a new set and stick by their product. ;)
It's a bit of a worry that they have all cracked :o ........luckily you noticed. ;)

Go hawks!!!!! :D
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby molesy on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:59 pm

my dad use to run coopers all the time on his landcruser until about 2yr ago and the side wall started blowing out of them he went through a few sets as they keep replacing them so he said bugger that and went to mickey thompsons he wasnt doing any 4wd just driving on dirt roads as he works in the bush
molesy

Postby mamiller on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:36 pm

Had atr's on a patrol a few years backand had some problems with out of round and delaminating issues 3 tyres in all but other than that no troubles. They were all replaced under the warranty and the tyre place said that the 2 out of rounds were from the same batch. I know they have changer a bit since the atr in terms of compound.
mamiller
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Wizza on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:39 pm

So thats what you were doing at Carmodys this morning :) Good to hear they're replacing that set. Seems strange after 6000km they have cracks and splits though.
Lifes Short, Fish Hard!!!
Wizza

Postby ag9111 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:55 pm

Had a set of 265 75 16 ST's do the same after about 2 months of service, about 4 to 5 years ago.

Replaced under warranty no issues or agruments. The rep even gave me one back, after removing all the manufacturing ID marks, and said it is fine to use as a spare as I had a 245 HT as a spare. That spare has been under the last 2 utes ever since.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trouble on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Is there any chance of some pics of these "cracks"
I only ask as I am very very soon going to get my second set of coopers in particular st maxx.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Dunga71 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:02 am

Im away at work so if the cook hasnt had the new ones fitted i will post some pics
Dunga71

Postby Dunga71 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:03 am

Wizza wrote:So thats what you were doing at Carmodys this morning :) Good to hear they're replacing that set. Seems strange after 6000km they have cracks and splits though.

ha ha spotto :D
Dunga71

Postby sam on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Dunga71 wrote:On inspection of my tyers after getting home from Fraser last night i noticed some cracking and splitting just above the bead on all 4 of my Cooper St maxx 17s :?
I went to the tyer dealer where i had them fitted and expressed my concerns,i have only done 6000km on them and they promplty said they would fit a brand new set this arvo :D
Very happy with the no questions replacement but will the new ones do the same :? he said he has only seen one other set do this and they where 17s aswell.
Has anyone else had this problem ?

We had the same issue with Copper AT3's when we were going around Oz with only about 10,000km.
Had to get a service done in Hervey Bay after coming off Frazer and the mechanic picked it up.

After a bit of a talk with the local Tyrepower guy I had Coopers ring me and they arranged for a new set to be put on in
Cairns free of charge which was good but would never buy them again as they chipped badly on the rough roads in the
NT and WA outback and are wearing rather quickly . :( :?
sam

Postby Froggy on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:59 pm

For the record, I'm still incredibly satisfied with my St maxx tyres with nearly 20,000ks on them! Wearing very well for such an aggressive A/T I reckon I'll easily get between 60 and 80,000 out of them.
No signs of cracking and very few chips. My only regret is only going 245/75r16.
Froggy

Postby josh_cod on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:34 am

froggymicb wrote:For the record, I'm still incredibly satisfied with my St maxx tyres with nearly 20,000ks on them! Wearing very well for such an aggressive A/T I reckon I'll easily get between 60 and 80,000 out of them.
No signs of cracking and very few chips. My only regret is only going 245/75r16.

I am also very happy with my ST Maxx's, I have the 265/75/16, had them for about 18 months, done approx 40,000km on them and am stoked with how they are wearing. Done two trips to central Aus and up into the Kimberley's in that time and very happy with them.
Cheers,
Josh
josh_cod

Postby Dunga71 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:51 am

Now have 4 new ones fitted and was offered 2 of the old ones as spares after the warranty claim goes through Cooper :D
Dunga71

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:31 am

Oh very nice. 2 spare, nothing wrong with that!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DLT on Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:07 am

Not sure if it has been covered on here on not but the cracking that you have experiencd is called flow cracking & is normally caused by an imperfection in the mould when the tyre is made - nothing to do with Driving style or pressure. it normally appears in the first 5000km or thereabouts.

In the case of the Coopers it is appearing as a small crack appearing above the bead. It only affects the top milimetre or 2 of rubber & is not a safety issue as the tyre thickness in this area is over 12mm thick. If your tyres are showing signs of this take it to the nearest dealer & they will look after you.

I am not employed by this company at all, but think that is good when a company backs up their product if their is an issue.
DLT

Return to Tyres & Wheels