fitting "33 inch" tyres- a summary.

Need something to get you rolling?

fitting "33 inch" tyres- a summary.

Postby DocBassett on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Just thought I would post up my experiences with trying to upgrade to 33 inch tyres. Perhaps this could be placed as a link on the bible thread or similar if you mods deem appropriate, as when I was researching, there was not a whole lot of info. My experience is based on my 2007 GLS ML.

285/75/16 tyres will fit on the triton. These are a metric 32.8 inches. You will need a 2 inch lift, and you will need to make some minor modifications. But it can be done. Should it be done- many will say no. Some will say yes. The extra clearance given in my opinion is worth it.

Modifications needed:
-2 inch lift
-removal of front mud flaps
- some may need to do some "massage" of wheel arch/guards etc etc, however I didn't.
-Some may need rubber flares

tyres:
-285/75/16 works well.

Wheels: This is where it gets tricky!!!
-16x8 are recommended however 16x7 is apparently possible.
-Offset: There is a fine line between keeping the tyres in the guards and stopping everything from rubbing on
arches/sway bars/calipers etc. I started out with 20+ offset on steel rims however have changed to 25+ alloys (further
explanation to come). My wheels stick out about a little over 1cm from the guards with the 25+. It is very hard to find
a steel rim in a 16x8 with any offset over 0+. I had to special order my 20+ steelies in (however I also live in the
middle of nowhere, but 8 tyre shops didn't have them). Alloys give you a lot more options.
-Space behind the 'spokes' is very important. There needs to be enough room behind the wheel to fit the calipers. This
is the reason I changed to alloys as the steel's were rubbing.
-My wheels are CSA Jackals with 25+ offset.

Alloy Vs Steel: I couldn't stress enough how much I prefer the alloys. I wanted steel rims because I love the all black look and they are bloody cheap. However the car was ridiculously sluggish, overtaking was dangerous and you'd need a good few hundred metres to stop on a dry road, going up hill. These issues are overcome with braided brake lines, chips etc. However once I had changed to alloys, the sluggishness and braking issues were almost absent- it wasn't much different to the stock rims with 265/65/17's on. Seriously spend the money on the alloys, you will save yourself in the long run.

In Summary, I am running 285/75/16 tyres on 16x8 25+ offset alloy CSA Jackals n a GLS ML.

Note: I am not a mechanic. In fact I'm not super knowledgable when it comes to cars. This is just my experiences and what has worked for me. There are probably other ways it will work, however if you follow this you shouldn't run in to any dramas. Feel free to edit/change/throw in everyone's 2 cents :)
DocBassett

Re: fitting "33 inch" tyres- a summary.

Postby stackator on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks for sharing mate, I am sure you will save someone time and $$$
stackator

Postby DocBassett on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:54 pm

cheers :)
DocBassett

Postby snowman on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:11 pm

DocBassett wrote:
Alloy Vs Steel: I couldn't stress enough how much I prefer the alloys. I wanted steel rims because I love the all black look and they are bloody cheap. However the car was ridiculously sluggish, overtaking was dangerous and you'd need a good few hundred metres to stop on a dry road, going up hill. These issues are overcome with braided brake lines, chips etc. However once I had changed to alloys, the sluggishness and braking issues were almost absent- it wasn't much different to the stock rims with 265/65/17's on. Seriously spend the money on the alloys, you will save yourself in the long run.

I have heard this from others driving both alloy and steelies. cannot be overstated.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:28 pm

Forgot to mention it has helped with economy too. Havent checked by how much as they have only been on 2 days, but was running about 1L/100km better. IMHO A tyre/wheel salesman is doing you wrong by selling you steel rims.
DocBassett

Postby aimstix on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Great information as this is my next step!! Thanks mate for putting up such valuable information!!!
aimstix

Postby motoz on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:06 pm

I've never experienced gaining in the economy stakes by fitting a tyre with a larger rolling diameter.

I found a big increase in fuel usage, slower acceleration, an increase in low range crawling speed and legality with the 285/75x16 tyres on my MN.

IMO the negatives of running 33's on the Triton far out weigh the extra 1/2" of lift you gain under your diff.

Everyone's different though.

:)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:53 pm

The improvement in economy was in regards to alloys vs steels. Yes there are negatives to the md. But theres always a trade off when it comes to mods. Some things are sacrificed for gains elsewhere. As they always say, 2 inches and 33's will get you anywhere in the country. Aimstix, glad to be of help.
DocBassett

Postby DocBassett on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:54 pm

The improvement in economy was in regards to alloys vs steels. Yes there are negatives to the md. But theres always a trade off when it comes to mods. Some things are sacrificed for gains elsewhere. As they always say, 2 inches and 33's will get you anywhere in the country. Aimstix, glad to be of help.
DocBassett

Postby snowman on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:19 am

clearance is king off road. no doubt about it. that said the bigger diameter tyres start introducing some issues as discussed.

based on some discussions and advice from knowledgeable people on here i reckon 32's are the sweet spot. particularly with the lift because the OEM's look silly. :shock: :lol:

many, many people running 32's and except for CV's i dont know of any hub issues. Braking performance can be increased by use of braided lines. My 32's with braided line are far better than OEM tyres before braided which was woeful.

I know plenty on here like the look of aftermarket rims but some of the steelies also needed finger balancing (pain in the butt). the steelies are cheaper than new aftermarket alloys (and remember to get correct load rating if going aftermarket alloy). that said you can buy aftermarket alloys for the same money as new steelies if you are after a second set of wheels.

i personally stuck with OEM rims because you don't have problems with loadrating or offset issues. i have no rubbing at all with 32's on OEM rims. That said some guys like to go to a lesser positive offset (say +20) to create some extra width for off road stability.

there are a few who have run 33's for a while with no issues or even no lift (in the beginning) including diablo and tricky from memory. I still maintain these bigger tyres will also affect the fuel economy of auto more than manuals because of the higher gearing. that said off road the higher gearing will make the manual more difficult to drive.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aimstix on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:04 am

As snowman said the manuals def get a better gain offroad in crawling ability, but this Is gained back again as autos can have lockup converters fitted ect..

It's good to get so many opinions on this as its an age old topic of argument amungst us 4byers ha ha..

IMO 2" lift and 33's is ultimate in our country, but having said that is 265's and front or rear locker more advantageous!!!??

I have done a fair amount of research and the old boy used to manage a Beaurepaires for donkeys and mickey T's mtz 285 will squeeze onto the ml glxr rims
aimstix

Re: fitting

Postby snowman on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:24 am

aimstix wrote:As snowman said the manuals def get a better gain offroad in crawling ability, but this Is gained back again as autos can have lockup converters fitted ect..

you may have misunderstood me. the larger tyres probably effect the manual more as the autos have more gbox slip with the toque converter. for climbing the autos are king - i dont think that is even a debate except some die hard clutch burners might pipe up :roll: :lol: . downhill manuals have it BUT only in locations where you are not inching you way down rocks like we did at wheeny last weekend. when doing that driving, auto or manual it doesn't matter - it is all down to brakes. my reduction gears with auto would be better than manual without in my opinion but i am yet to prove that on some good long downhill sections - i am getting there - eventually. :lol: :lol: if i was to buy a manual it would be for out of town and for economy. i am a bit old for swapping cogs just for the sake of it.

aimstix wrote:IMO 2" lift and 33's is ultimate in our country, but having said that is 265's and front or rear locker more advantageous!!!??

without doubt a locked vehicle on 32's will eat 33's unlocked. the only time i have seen 33's provide any real advantage is ruts. half an inch can make a difference. that said 33's wont help you much if the track was carved by cars on 35's. no matter how big you do someone will always have been there with something bigger :shock: . in my opinion 32's give you the best compromise for day to day vs wheeling.

aimstix wrote:I have done a fair amount of research and the old boy used to manage a Beaurepaires for donkeys and mickey T's mtz 285 will squeeze onto the ml glxr rims

this is interesting and appreciated. from memory most tyre manufacturers wont recommend a 285 on a 7 inch rim. i purchased a set of MN 7.5 inch for this purpose but they were so new i didn't want to wreck them off road. i would like a 285 all terrain though for on road. i dont think you can too much tread pattern on the ground for the road. :lol: :lol: within reason anyway. :roll:
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:52 am

original specs for the Mickey Thompson MTZ in the 285/75/16 width allowed fitment to 7" rims.
The tyre is a narrow 285 and so could work- and was fitted to a few triton factory rims in the past

they are the only tyre 285/75/16 I know of that allowed fitment, and the spec sheet has since been modified to state minimum 7.5 wide rims.

some tyre shops will do as you ask, some follow manufacture (tyre, legislation and vehicle ) guidelines.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby aimstix on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:24 am

I've never owned an auto 4x4 so I just go with what I know.. But the modern autos I've driven have been a lot better than a manual in 90% of occasions. The centre diff lock in pajeros auto is supreme!! Does the triton have the same setup??

There is no doubt that 265's would do everything I want, but if I can fit 285's why the hell not!! :p lol
aimstix

Postby DocBassett on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:28 pm

32 inch locked may beat a 33 unlocked, but what about a 33 inch locked?!?! mwahahahaha :twisted: . The reason I opted for 33's, is my bash plates were getting torn up- even with a lift. So clearance for me is vital. I live in a town where everyone has a landcruiser or patrol on 35's. Clearance for me is a must. As i stated earlier, it's not everyones cup of tea. But that's because we are all different. :) This was simply put here as a guide fr those wishing to go down the same route as me. yes 32's may be better on economy etc etc, but if you are after economy, perhaps you can look into buying a prius. I hear they can get 5L/100km. I bought my car to go offroad. It is my daily driver, but when it's only 5km from one end of town to the other, and you could throw a rock and hit work, on road capabilities and distance driving isn't a huge issue. :)
DocBassett

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Better pack a pair of CVs while you're at it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby borngeek on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Better pack a pair of CVs while you're at it.

But he does not know how to change them.... mwahahahaha :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dinos4x4 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:10 pm

How do braided brake lines improve braking performance
dinos4x4

Postby viking shippy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Standard hoses are plastic and with heat they expand.. so the idea of hydronic lines is that any lack of stability and expansion of the hose is energy waisted...
Ie ..when you put your foot on the brakes you want the pressure to go the brake callipers were it does the job...not into the expanding hydraulic brake lines...
You will get at least a 25% increase in breaking performance with this improvement...
viking shippy

Postby viking shippy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:41 pm

DocBassett wrote:32 inch locked may beat a 33 unlocked, but what about a 33 inch locked?!?! mwahahahaha :twisted: . The reason I opted for 33's, is my bash plates were getting torn up- even with a lift. So clearance for me is vital. I live in a town where everyone has a landcruiser or patrol on 35's. Clearance for me is a must. As i stated earlier, it's not everyones cup of tea. But that's because we are all different. :) This was simply put here as a guide fr those wishing to go down the same route as me. yes 32's may be better on economy etc etc, but if you are after economy, perhaps you can look into buying a prius. I hear they can get 5L/100km. I bought my car to go offroad. It is my daily driver, but when it's only 5km from one end of town to the other, and you could throw a rock and hit work, on road capabilities and distance driving isn't a huge issue. :)

Mate each to his own
In my opinion after going on a few trips with geek tony snowy and alco all on 32'
I found that rock crawling gears and lockers will with out a doubt serve you better than crashing over obstacles at speed with your 33' tyres
I've seen tritons crawl down and up the Spanish steps at lithgow. disappear into holes that stop cruisers and poorolls...
Bash plates get a beating all the time that's y they call them that ..but crawler gears and lockers mean you just crawl over under in out with very little crashing about.. Get locked and crawl if you really want to out preform your mates...after all your defending 1/2 an inch here.....or if your after looks and bragging rights go for 35" spacers shackles body lifts and hide from your local constabulary..Stevens and snowmans rigs are the best all round off road tourers I've seen in many years.....
viking shippy

Postby dinos4x4 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:45 pm

viking shippy wrote:Standard hoses are plastic and with heat they expand.. so the idea of hydronic lines is that any lack of stability and expansion of the hose is energy waisted...
Ie ..when you put your foot on the brakes you want the pressure to go the brake callipers were it does the job...not into the expanding hydraulic brake lines...
You will get at least a 25% increase in breaking performance with this improvement...

You just never stop learning :D :D , whats this mod worth and do you replace front and back ????
dinos4x4

Postby DocBassett on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:57 pm

viking shippy wrote:
DocBassett wrote:32 inch locked may beat a 33 unlocked, but what about a 33 inch locked?!?! mwahahahaha :twisted: . The reason I opted for 33's, is my bash plates were getting torn up- even with a lift. So clearance for me is vital. I live in a town where everyone has a landcruiser or patrol on 35's. Clearance for me is a must. As i stated earlier, it's not everyones cup of tea. But that's because we are all different. :) This was simply put here as a guide fr those wishing to go down the same route as me. yes 32's may be better on economy etc etc, but if you are after economy, perhaps you can look into buying a prius. I hear they can get 5L/100km. I bought my car to go offroad. It is my daily driver, but when it's only 5km from one end of town to the other, and you could throw a rock and hit work, on road capabilities and distance driving isn't a huge issue. :)

Mate each to his own
In my opinion after going on a few trips with geek tony snowy and alco all on 32'
I found that rock crawling gears and lockers will with out a doubt serve you better than crashing over obstacles at speed with your 33' tyres
I've seen tritons crawl down and up the Spanish steps at lithgow. disappear into holes that stop cruisers and poorolls...
Bash plates get a beating all the time that's y they call them that ..but crawler gears and lockers mean you just crawl over under in out with very little crashing about.. Get locked and crawl if you really want to out preform your mates...after all your defending 1/2 an inch here.....or if your after looks and bragging rights go for 35" spacers shackles body lifts and hide from your local constabulary..Stevens and snowmans rigs are the best all round off road tourers I've seen in many years.....

As you said, each to their own. Just because you have 33's, doesn't mean you can't get crawler gears and lockers? what makes you think you can only have one or the other??? just because one has larger tyres, does not mean they "crash over obstacles". My car is locked and has 33's. A larger tyre doesn't make you change your driving style. As I have stated- This post wasn't for people like you to criticise 33's, it was a post for people looking to put 285/75/16's on, to obtain some information. I'm not stopping you from getting 32's, go ahead. If you want to argue about putting 33's on, start another post and compare the two- that way people have more information and can make an informed decision. But deciding between 32 and 33 was not the point of this post.
DocBassett

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:42 pm

Yeah look Doc we all knew it could be done, you're hardly a pioneer here.

But now that you've gone and started a thread on it, we can't leave it without comments, or future readers might make the mistake of putting 33s on without any thought towards the potential negatives. I thought that was the point of the thread anyway so I wouldn't be getting cranky about people expressing a view contrary to yours.

I find myself agreeing with Viking Shippy for a change though. For the extra half inch clearance I don't think it's worth the extra stress on your CVs and other components. But it's your truck and you're perfectly entitled to do with it what you want - even go out and pick up another yellow sticker if that's your go.

Also that reminds me there's the legality issue - which would be different depending on what state people are from.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby viking shippy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:48 pm

I think your post is about your opinion and you jump on others opinions that you don't agree with maybee your better of with a Prius
viking shippy

Postby DocBassett on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Just delete the post then mate
DocBassett

Next

Return to Tyres & Wheels