Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 ongoing review

Need something to get you rolling?

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 ongoing review

Postby Triton newbie on Thu May 08, 2014 12:32 pm

Hey guys,
After some extensive research and even more extensive saving $$ ave finally purchased my new set of Mickey Thompson Baja P3 265/70/17. As this is relatively new tyre I have struggled to find reviews for it although the Mickey Thompson reputation is pretty good. I thought I would set this thread up and as I gather opinions of the tyre I will add to this so future prospective buyers will have a better idea. If anyone out there has a set and opinion would love to hear them.

As I have only got them on this morning my only review so far is they look great! haha. Here is a couple of photos of them on.. first time I try and add photos so lets see how this goes.

Click to view larger picture

Old vs New:

Triton newbie

Re: Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 ongoing review

Postby al coholic on Thu May 08, 2014 12:45 pm

Do you know the differences between the P3 and the old version ATZ's??

Looks like more aggressive side bitters? That's about it?

I've got ATZ's on mine for daily driving, I don't rate them very much at all :roll:

Hopefully these work out of for you ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby snowman on Thu May 08, 2014 1:09 pm

so these replace the old 4-rib?

mate i hope you got an alignment that OEM tyre is pretty poorly worn. :shock:

//bad alignments just wear out expensive tyres prematurely. :cry:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Thu May 08, 2014 1:15 pm

Interested to see how these go long term. I previously had the ATZ 4 rib and on reflection wasnt that impressed with there performance. The Duratraks out perform them in every way.

It seems that agressive AT's are the way the industry is going.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Triton newbie on Thu May 08, 2014 1:16 pm

Yeh that was actually just my spare that I just grabbed from a tyre place as a get me by until I got these new ones.. Never even used it lol. And yes it is replacing the 4rib.. Can't get them in aus anymore.. Will have to look up the difference of the atz to the P3's.. I did know when I was doing the research
Triton newbie

Postby Triton newbie on Thu May 08, 2014 1:32 pm

Where were you guys when I was doing my research a few months ago lol. Ahh well I will see how this new design goes..
Triton newbie

Postby mIwoo on Thu May 08, 2014 1:34 pm

They are supposed to be more agressive, the that P3 power ply to support the tread edges (previous atz did not have them), the have more of a silica compound for improved grip (especially on road and in the wet... And to quieten them on road), better mud slinging ability and provide an even wear.

I agree the industry is heading towards the "agressive AT' tyre as tourer's have realised that you don't need muddies to see the country, just tough, tough AT's. Plus less people are buying 2 lots of tyres due to cost and use... Therefore aggressive AT's are meeting demands. You only have to look at the sales of cooper STmaxx, Goodyear duratracs the last few years to see that. Compare that to the downwArd slope of quality MT sales across the country and you will see my point.
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby siwren on Thu May 08, 2014 4:24 pm

I get my P3's installed tomorrow and looking forward to it.

I selected them as per mIwoo's comments re aggressive AT's plus the fact that it is a tyre based on the latest technology. Most of the common 4wd tyres out there have been the same for a long time and dont have the latest tyre compounds, ply tech, etc.

When you compare this to road car tyres, especially performance tyres, these tyres get superseded every few years. This ensures that you can get access to the best of breed tyres for performance and safety, and the new tech trickles down to the family car tyres, etc, but very slowly to offroad 4wd tyres.

For me the STMaxx was never going to happen due to past experiences with Cooper tyres, and yes they are the effectively under the same parent company but heres to hoping the cooper problems dont transfer to the Mickey T's. I also liked the Duratrac tyres but the prices I received for both were around the same so I went with the P3's as they are already on a mates Amarok and he's liking them.

Hopefully Newbie and I have made a good choice :)
Simon

See my Triton build: Si's Tri
My Shed
siwren

Postby mIwoo on Thu May 08, 2014 4:30 pm

If the P3's are the same price as duratracs.... That rules me out of getting them in the future ... :?
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby wannago on Thu May 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Nice looking tyre but how many $$$ per corner? That is the main thing that will hold most people back from buying these as I'm sure there are much cheaper tyres out there that deliver better bang for your buck performance.
wannago

Postby mIwoo on Thu May 08, 2014 4:35 pm

If the P3's are the same price as duratracs.... That rules me out of getting them in the future ... :?
mIwoo

Postby Triton newbie on Thu May 08, 2014 5:55 pm

420 fitted was the cheapest I could find.. Did my research 3 months back and they were cheaper but Mickey put his prices up.. Argg!
Triton newbie

Postby wannago on Thu May 08, 2014 6:19 pm

Ouch!! you can almost buy 4 General Grabber AT2's for the price of 2 of the P3's. But as long as you got the cash and you like them that's what counts. I won't be buying any at that price though :|
wannago

Postby PhatVelvet on Thu May 08, 2014 6:29 pm

I got duratracs at staff pricing from brother in law, bout $230 a tyre. So if anyone is looking at this as an option, try talk the dealer down a bit, there's definitely markup in them. Performance wise though couldnt be happier.
PhatVelvet

Postby siwren on Thu May 08, 2014 6:29 pm

I managed to get them for less than $400, but still an expensive tyre. And I need to get 6 of them...

Given that tyres are key to staying safe im happy to pay whatever. The tyres for my GTR were way more expensive and lasted about 15000km so I can deal with the cost of these tyres. They should be good for 60000km+, which is 4 years driving for me, so $100 per tyre per year is cheap. Only if they are good though :S

Apparently there is only one disti in oz and charges what they like. The P3's seem to be in demand and hence the price. They will come down in future.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby inrut on Wed May 28, 2014 7:42 pm

I looked at these tyres last week at Fast Freddies tyres in Healesville Vic they look an excelllent A/T nearly an M/T. He quoted me $370 a corner fitted and balanced.
inrut

Postby siwren on Wed May 28, 2014 9:13 pm

inrut wrote:I looked at these tyres last week at Fast Freddies tyres in Healesville Vic they look an excelllent A/T nearly an M/T. He quoted me $370 a corner fitted and balanced.

$370 was the best that I could get, so seems to be the price to aim for
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby VictorMN on Wed May 28, 2014 11:54 pm

I've done nearly 20,000 ks on my ATZ's 265/70/17 they are tough as nails off road, and I have full confidance that it would be very unlucky to get a flat or damaged tyre. they worked good at speed on dirt roads, and plenty of grip in the mud.. My only 2 grips were the price (I expected a better tyre for what you pay for). and that their very noisey on the road they do slip around a bit when the tar is wet. never had that problem when I had coopers.
The sales guy said if I look after them, regular balance and rotate . I should get 100 000 ks plus, here's hoping. I only got just under 80 thou for the coopers.
VictorMN

Postby siwren on Fri May 30, 2014 1:22 pm

VictorMN wrote:I've done nearly 20,000 ks on my ATZ's 265/70/17 .

ATZ 4-Rib or ATZ P3? Your Garage says 4-Rib, ATZ 4-Ribs are the older and different to the P3.

If you did have the 4-Rib and upgraded to the P3, what is the difference in handling/offroad/etc?
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby Triton newbie on Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:46 pm

Well took the P3's out for first run in the mud & rocks. A part from a dented door sill it was a good day. Only triton in a group of navara's and I held my own. So far very impressed with the tyres. Quite a few hair raising moments when I really needed the traction and they always delivered. Didn't really hit too much deel mud but plenty of rock crawling and did not slip once.
Triton newbie

Postby dinos4x4 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:18 pm

Triton newbie wrote:Well took the P3's out for first run in the mud & rocks. A part from a dented door sill it was a good day. Only triton in a group of navara's and I held my own. So far very impressed with the tyres. Quite a few hair raising moments when I really needed the traction and they always delivered. Didn't really hit too much deel mud but plenty of rock crawling and did not slip once.

Its not hard to hold your own against Navara,s :D

I just came back from a 6000k trip from perth to the Canning Staock route Bungle Bungles , Windjana Gorge.
The Mickey ATZ P3 performed great spending 1800 ks at 20psi from sand to rocks ther CSR has evry terrain you can think if of.
No Punctures not even a chip , very impressed with them.
dinos4x4

Postby siwren on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:27 pm

Last weekend I spent at newnes. Hard lost city track, powerline track plus down up the Spanish steps on the P3's and they were great. Ran 28psi and did everything easily, but than again I dont have much experience with that many other tyres.

Might be expensive but they do everything I need them too plus probably a lot more capable than what I'll do with them. Real test will be the cape run next month.

Theyve not really added to my fuel usage compared to the 31's I had before but they are a heavy tyre and definitely impacted acceleration and a little bit of braking.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby Triton newbie on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:03 am

Yeh the breaking might be a good point.. Had to pull up quick the other week and wan surprised how long it took to stop.. Then again I have a fair bit more gear in the car now not just the tyres
Triton newbie

Postby Monkeyz on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:35 pm

Just fitted a set of P3's this week 265/70/17, nice fit, OEM suspension, no scrubbing and no noticeable loss of performance, the road feel is a lot more stable and cant wait to get em in the dirt....

Mojo..... :D :D :D :D
Monkeyz

Postby Mark3413 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:38 pm

Had my ATZ P3's on for a while now, and they are going really well. Have punished them on different types of terrain except mud and they have peformed very well. A few trips to powerlines, a long trip down to dentrecastaux, heaps of beach driving, not one mark on them! Will test them in the slippery stuff when winter arrives. I am doing the old gunbarrel, tanami and gibb river road later this year, and have no reason to doubt these tyres will handle it. Not the cheapest though, I paid $369 a corner.
Mark3413
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Tyres & Wheels