Brake squeal cause?

Need something to get you rolling?

Brake squeal cause?

Postby MN GLXR on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:46 am

Hi guys,

I had my front rotors and pads changed about 8 months ago and have done only 5,000km since then.

I noticed recently the brakes squeal, but only when first applied (e.g. driving down the driveway). After the brakes have been applied once, the squeal goes away until the next trip. Once the brakes are warm, they are fine.

Is this most likely due to brake wear, the colder wet weather or a build up of dust?

Appreciate your thoughts.
MN GLXR

Re: Brake squeal cause?

Postby GLRkenny on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:04 pm

Chances are the bedding process was not completed correctly (providing good quality parts were used). Take the car out and give the brakes a hard time for 10-15 minutes and see how they go, if that doesn't work you'll need to clean the glazing off the pads and rotors with some emery tape and bed them in again by driving with heavy applications for 10-15 minutes and after that use them a bit harder than usual for the next 1000-1500, avoiding light braking wherever possible in that period
GLRkenny

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:46 pm

What brakes were fitted to the car, Genuine or Aftermarket?
Lee-thal

Brake squeal cause?

Postby MN GLXR on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Thanks guys,

I mainly drive and brake softly so yes, perhaps that has been the cause. I'll have to start thumping it. :D

Aftermarket Bendix 4wd brakes were fitted. I can see the pads say BM4WD.

Cheers,
Last edited by MN GLXR on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MN GLXR

Postby FRDESP on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:01 pm

We sell a lot of Bendix 4wd pads this is a common complaint the bedding in process is done but the titanium strip on the pad. Take them out give them a little of a hard time see how it goes.
FRDESP
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:12 pm

You said Brembo brakes? So Brembo pads and Brembo Rotors?
Lee-thal

Postby MN GLXR on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:59 pm

Yeh I stuffed up. The pads are definitely Bendix BM4WD and I assume the rotors were Bendix too.
MN GLXR

Postby Lee-thal on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:18 am

Bendix dont make Rotors, maybe DBA rotors? if you can find out it would certainly help to understand it,

BUT, it may simply be something you will have to live with, some pads and rotor combinations will just squeak,

just one of those things,
Lee-thal

Postby Knuckle on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:15 pm

Hey MN,

You can try this mate and if it does not work it has not cost you anything.

Many many moons ago when I was an apprentice as a quick fix for this we used to find a large open area and on full lock in reverse ride the bakes for a min or 2 then do the same on full lock other direction.

Used to fix majority of 'minor' brake squeal. Reason behind I was told is that pads wear a certain way as majority of braking done when moving foreword. Takes the edge off ever so slightly.

If that does not fix I would suggest removing pads and lubricating slides on pads (small area where pads slide in and out along caliper. Back in the day we used to use a special lubricant called anti squeal I think it was and it was orange. Failing that we used copper coat which worked just as well.

Hope it helps.
Knuckle
Knuckle

Postby MN GLXR on Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:28 am

The squeal remains though it only happens randomly. She's due for a service so I will get It looked at then.
MN GLXR

Postby MN GLXR on Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Update - had it serviced today.

Rears were cleaned and ok. Fronts (6m / 6,000km old) seemed to be the problem so they swapped out the pads under warranty.

Charged for labour only :D

Will see how they go this time and I'll be sure to bed them properly.
MN GLXR

Return to Tyres & Wheels