Pajero steelies on MN experiment.

Need something to get you rolling?

Pajero steelies on MN experiment.

Postby Damoton on Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:50 pm

Hello all,

After much searching and reading trying to find the right solution for a second set of rims, I ended up buying NT Pajero steel rims with the standard Bridgestone H\Ts. I'm off on a trip out west of Charleville next month and didn't want to destroy my nice shiny alloys or my soft as road tyres. These steel rooms dont have the A/Ts I want on them yet, thats the next step. In the meantime I thought I'd experiment.

The standard alloys are 17x7 with 245/65/17 tyres. The Pajreo rims are 17x7.5 with 265/65/17. There is an inch (20mm) or so difference in height and width between the two. This experiment will be able to compare two different rims which have the same type of tyres. From my reading the following things needed to be considered:
- rubbing on full lock
- being hub centric
- additional weight of steel wheels, possible weight and braking issues
- clearance of brakes
- offset and and staying inside the guards
- legalities of bigger wheels
- alloy wheel nuts on steel rims.

There may be more to consider, and I will add if needed.
Damoton

Re: Pajero steelies on MN experiment.

Postby Damoton on Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:13 pm

Click to view larger picture
Damoton

Postby bill65 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:05 pm

the off set on NT is 49 with 7.5 rim and the triton is 38 with 7"rim :?
bill65
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:27 pm

The only issue i think you may have is brake calliper clearance with the different offset rim.

I'm pretty sure the Paj offset is 46, although Bill may be correct with 49....either way there is at most, 11mm difference in offset between Triton alloy and the Paj alloy (I think its 8mm).....but the Paj rim is also 12mm wider overall ;)

From what i can see, if the Paj rim is a 46 offset, the inside of the rim will only sit 2mm closer to the brakes than the Triton rim does.

From someone who has had numerous problems over the years with aftermarket non hubcentric rims :roll: I can tell you OEM alloys are definitely the way to go for a second set IMO 8-) Either that or go steelies....but as you alluded to already, they definitely are heavier and effect braking etc.

You wont have any issue at all with scrubbing with those sized tyres and im sure the half inch width difference is allowable as far as legalities go too ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Damoton on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:45 pm

So, turns out the Pajero rims are hubcentric, dont rub on lock and fit inside the guards as if they were made for it.
Have used the original wheel nuts at the moment but will get new ones soon. The camber on the original nuts is small, but then so is the camber in the steel wheel.
Will give the ABS and brakes a work out later in the week. Quick spin on the freeway shows longer legs but still plenty of torque.
Click to view larger picture
Damoton

Postby Damoton on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Thanks Al, the brake clearance is good. The Pajero rim actually has more room inside than the alloy - 427 steel inside vs 423 alloy. Visually there is plenty of clearance.
I weighed the wheels too (this is an experiment after all). Alloy rim is 26.4kg and steel is 30.2kg. 3.8kg difference, so not too bad. But centrifugal force may prove otherwise. I'll run around on them for a few days and feel how it goes.
Damoton

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:02 am

What is the load rating if the pajero stock tyres- just something else to consider
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby al coholic on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:38 am

Sorry mate, assumed they were Pajero alloys, you did in fact say they were NT steel wheels, my bad ;) I was referring to aftermarket steel wheels (sunraysia) in my comment.

I can't be certain, but I have a feeling the Paj steel wheels are a different offset again compared to the alloys.

Good to hear they fit anyway ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Damoton on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:52 pm

So after a few days driving around my impressions are that it handles better, third gear is even more flexible than before, braking is slightly compromised but still strong, and the taller gearing is probably better for the around town driving I do. Steering is not noticeably heavier.

The traction control and stability control still kick in well when booting it into a tight corner. Haven't had a chance to test the ABS yet. Fuel economy seems the same although I've only done a couple of hundred km. Sits on 110 on the freeway just nice but 100 may be just a little out of the torque band in fifth. 100 in fourth will be good for towing the van.

Will chase up some A/Ts soon and then test it all again.

Cheers.
Damoton

Postby Damoton on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:58 pm

They fit in the guards just like they were made for it. Click to view larger picture
Damoton

Return to Tyres & Wheels