New Wheels and Tyres for 07 GLX

Need something to get you rolling?

New Wheels and Tyres for 07 GLX

Postby Raz89 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:34 pm

Hey guys

I'm a newbie to all this 4WD tyre mumbo jumbo :oops: , and I wanted to replace my wheels and tyres soon. At the moment they are the stockers (205/80/16.. if I am correct). I'm not really looking for more tyre diameter, just tread width. Do you know what size I can go to legally and without rubbing on anything (which I doubt will happen because only slight diameter increase). I have started looking intensively on the net at sizes but most the typical sizes are not compatible (according to the tyre size comparison tool mention in the 'Tyre size legality' thread). Sorry for my incompetence this is just my first 4-by and don't want to F it up. The local police don't like me as it is being a small town, so gotta stay legal too :roll: . Feel free to correct me if any of the above is wrong, I'm not worried by constructive criticsm and I am here to learn.

Cheers Jarrod
P.s. Sorry for the long post.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Raz89

Re: New Wheels and Tyres for 07 GLX

Postby Homer on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:11 pm

Hey mate, lots of people having issues finding 'legal' tyres for these suckers.

There's a thread about new QLD laws maybe coming in Jan allowing larger tyres, but I'm not certain if or when that will happen. I think the thread may be 'factory donuts" if you want to have a quick search.

If the coppers are bothering you, why don't you bug out to Ayre or somewhere miles away? They'd never find you there and I heard the coppers are much more easy going! :lol:

On a more intelligent note, I think GLX-R' 16" came in 245's which I would think should mean you could go wider if your rims allow????
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby javo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi jarrod , yeah i'm in the same boat as you ...

I've emailed ROH and they have came back to me with two rims that i could buy from they to fit straight onto the triton -- bit out of the reply i got :

Thankyou for your inquiry for wheels to suit your 2008 Triton, we do have a few wheels available in our selection to suit your triton. If you wanted to keep the standard 16" diameter we can offer you 2 wheels called the RTX and Trojan. You can download a PDF of our current brochure for viewing at our website .

These are both ally rims and i was considering going for the RTX 15x7's as i have rolled a 245/ 75R 15 tyre up against the standard skinny's on my truck and found the height about an inch higher on the 245 . Same as you not looking for height just abit more width.

Going to get onto a few more rim options before i go with the RTX ( might even try find some stock GLX-R rims ) but hope this helps you gives you a few ideas .

cheers javo
javo

Postby FreestyleCab on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:08 am

javo wrote:Hi jarrod , yeah i'm in the same boat as you ...

These are both ally rims and i was considering going for the RTX 15x7's as i have rolled a 245/ 75R 15 tyre up against the standard skinny's on my truck and found the height about an inch higher on the 245 .

cheers javo

15" alloy or steel rims will not fit over the brakes, I have tried.....
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Raz89 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:28 am

Hey guys

Just an addition to all of this. The owners manual states the standard tyre widths as being 'Without wide fender' & 'With wide fender' not as GLX and GLX-R. Do the GLX and GLX-R have the same braking capabilities? If they do that should mean that if I add the fender flares that the GLX-R come standard with my standard tyres could now be classed as 245/70R 16, is this correct? Or would it stay as the placard on the drivers door frame. Therefore this would give me more choice in tyre size? I hope I am on the right track here and not just sounding like a complet d!ck.

Jarrod

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Raz89

Postby Homer on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:04 pm

Yep I reckon. That's what I was alluding to. I haven't read any different brake specs on the GLX so would assume 245's would be fine - particularly with wide fenders.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby jop on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:33 pm

FreestyleCab wrote:
javo wrote:Hi jarrod , yeah i'm in the same boat as you ...

These are both ally rims and i was considering going for the RTX 15x7's as i have rolled a 245/ 75R 15 tyre up against the standard skinny's on my truck and found the height about an inch higher on the 245 .

cheers javo

15" alloy or steel rims will not fit over the brakes, I have tried.....

Looks like Jacko is running 15x7 alloys :?:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/shed.php?view=1&id=44
jop

Postby FreestyleCab on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:57 pm

jop wrote:Looks like Jacko is running 15x7 alloys :?:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/shed.php?view=1&id=44

I stand corrected.....the 15" ROH alloys I tried did not fit.
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby dezrush on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:40 pm

hi Jarrod

Just picked up my GLX and I put 7X16" King steel wheels with 245/70R16 Bridgestone D694s on it. The rims went strait on and King actually guarentee that they will fit the GLX. Very happy with the combo.

Hopes this helps

Dez

Forgot to say - the rolling diameter is very similar to the 205/80R16 stocks the OD is less than 15mm greater, so in NSW this would be considered "legal"
dezrush

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:58 pm

Mine came with 245/70R16 (or 75?) as stock, Bridgestone HT. GLX-R. I went to 235/85/16
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby Raz89 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:54 am

Hey Jitsukablue

Yeah as I have the GLX not the GLX-R my standard tyres are 205/85R16 and if I add fender flares as stated above I can now make my standard tyre a 245/75R16 like off the GLX-R. Once I add the Flares then I will be going straight to 265/70R16 for extra width on the tread. These have the same rolling circumference as the 245/75R16 (+/- 10mm) so it stays legal in QLD (the 15mm extra circumference rule). At the moment I am looking into getting Hankook Dynapro MTs or something similar maybe in an A/T (am looking into heaps of different tyre manufacturers already). Does anyone have any opinions on these tyres or have any suggestions of why or why not to go to the 265's?

Thanks guys for all your input so far.
Jarrod

Raz89

Postby Greedy on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:45 am

Raz89 wrote:if I add fender flares as stated above I can now make my standard tyre a 245/75R16 like off the GLX-R.

Just be aware the GLX-R standard wheels are 245/70R16, not 75 profile if your laws are so strict.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Raz89 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:09 am

Thanks Greedy (and Jitsukablue) thats kind of an import piece of info.

Hahaha shit, well looks like I may have to stay with the shitty 205's for a while longer (there is talk of changing the QLD state law to the federal law of +/- 50mm instead of the tiny +/- 15mm that it is now in january 09.. although I doubt it) ... unlucky for me. I thought I put all the proper thought into it, obviously not aye (well i guess I did, but assumed the GLX-R was 245/75 instead of 245/70... DOHHH), luckily some people know their own trucks better than I do.

Thanks guys. Looks like the tyres and wheels are on hold for now, will give me a bit more time to save some coin too I guess, as I was goin with either 4 or 5 16" ROH Trojan alloys with the 265/70R16 tyres (kinda exy but nice look and good performance).

Jarrod

Raz89

Return to Tyres & Wheels