Achilles MT tyres, traction control HELP!!!

Need something to get you rolling?

Achilles MT tyres, traction control HELP!!!

Postby parso07 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:58 pm

hey i have 2010 glxr triton, just today i got 2 Achillies Desert hawk MT 265/70/17r tyres fitted on the back, and a real good second hand on cooper STT on the front,

now today while driving with the new tyres on the back when ever i turn a corner on the road it feels very light and sorta feels like driving on ice as the back is very WEIRD feeling and feels dangerous and scary, the ute has a mind of its own and i really have to fight with the ute just to keep it on the road
everytime i turn a corner over 50kmh my traction control light flashes and couple times its clicked in and worked while doing 90kms/h

i am just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with mud tyres and the tracton control or i have just have dud tyres
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correct spelling intitle, to assist future searches
parso07

Re: Achillies MT tyres, traction control HELP!!!

Postby har05l on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:31 pm

Why would you only fit 2 new tyres and then put a different brand second hand tyre on to couple them :?

I'm no tyre pro but my guess would be that is your problem :?

I've run the same M/T brand for over 140k km's now and even when their near the end of their life I don't have issues.

I'd be fitting brand new to the front as well personally and also same brand as the rear :roll:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:00 am

Check your pressures- if they're too high they'll be more prone to slipping
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mIwoo on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:02 am

I wouldn't be running anymore than 40 psi in back tyres
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby biggibbo on Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:26 am

Are the tyres all the same physical diameter. If not your ASC and TC will go bananas every time you turn a corner or hit a bump.

Doesn't matter about brands, needs to have the same diameter. Don't go by size of tyre either as there is huge variation in muddies between manufacturers.
biggibbo

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:17 am

Well, you certainly managed to make all the mistakes at once.

They're not bad tyres. In fact I have a set of them, myself. But they definitely aren't the equal of a set of quality ATs or road tyres, when you're on the bitumen. The compound is a touch on the soft side and the tread blocks are high and well separated. That makes for great traction in mud and off road, but works against you, big time, on bitumen. They squirm and move in corners, both in the tread and through the sidewalls.

The Desert Hawks are huge tyres, much bigger than almost anything else I've come across when compared to other brands in the same size. Mine would be close to 60mm higher than the same sized D697s that I use every day. So, you have something of a size mismatch as well.

By comparison, on the front you have a set of completely different animals. Much harder compound, which is great for tyre wear, and much stiffer sidewalls. The grip of the STTs also isn't that good on bitumen but the handling characteristics are very different.

So, mismatched tyres, wrong application and on a ute which is light and flighty in the rear to start with.

First thing is to have a look at your tyre pressures. I run mine at 36-38psi but the Pajero is much heavier than a Triton so maybe back off down to 34psi to start. That should help with straight line grip. In my Tritons I generally ran lightly loaded so had the rears at 2-4psi lower than the fronts, bringing them up only after loading 150kg+.

If you're taking corners at 50km/h then best you slow down and delay burying the right boot until you're well past the apex. Feed the power gently - these little diesels generate heaps of torque and it comes in a big rush. Less rubber contact, light loading, high pressures and lots of torque equals slip and that's exactly what's happening, evidenced by the TC kicking in. At 90km/h you're probably just going too fast - learn how to feel what's happening at the contact patch and how to make that work for you and when you want it to. In the meantime, slow down - those big knobbly things are not racing slicks.

You have air bags on the rear still? You haven't mentioned but if your suspension is stock then you're quite likely suffering some suspension drop and riding on the much thicker leaf on the bottom of the pack. This is only supposed to come into play when you are well loaded and combined with the airbags will also contribute to the ride and handling issues you're experiencing, making your ride harsh for a start. Consider a suspension upgrade which will go a long way to fixing the problem, by itself.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby parso07 on Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:42 am

I do have airbags on the back, new suspension coming next week.

i only got two tyres because about 2 weeks ago i blew a tyre while working and the tyre place only had two decent set of coopers STT, so i put them on to get me out if trouble, then i ordered in two achilies tyres as i am getting rid of my ute and up grading within the next month, so i didn't wanna spend 1400 bucks on good tyres for the next person who gets the ute, just wanted a decent tyre to sorta match the coopers.

am thinking of selling the achillies now and getting another tyre, so any good ideas for tyres that would match a Cooper STT without paying stupid amount of money
parso07

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:21 am

I would sell the Coopers and buy matching tyres for the front. If buying a car I would prefer 4 matching tyres.
L200Shogun

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:51 am

parso07 wrote:i ordered in two achilies tyres as i am getting rid of my ute and up grading within the next month

So why have you ordered new suspension?

parso07 wrote:new suspension coming next week.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby parso07 on Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:58 am

Cause suspension is pretty much fooked
parso07

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:07 am

So, new tyres and new sussy. That's a lot of money to spend on a vehicle that you're not keeping. :shock:

Hope it works out for you.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby GLX58 on Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:28 am

Ok, that's a bit of an mistake as you have different brand/compound/type (prob size too) and ultimately grip at both ends which is why the thing is mental. You'd be better safer with the MTs at the front probably, at least it would be tame it somewhat. Still, Don't go barreling into any corners as you'll understeer like a pig....

You'd should/should've just got 4 cheapish HT's instead for the whole car. Either that or go to a wrecker/gumtree and find a suitably not screwed FULL set on the cheap just so you can sell the thing. HT sets are sold fairly often as people switch straight to AT/MTS when they buy.

Currently, I doesn't sound like your car is even safe to drive. Your TC/ASC and AWD wont be working properly either and different grip at both ends may even increase your risk of breaking something if you drive it hard anywhere.

Either that or turn it into a drift car
GLX58

Achillies XMT- 265/75R 16

Postby DLT on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi Guys,
Just wondering if anyone is running these as a daily driver tyre & how they compare to the name brand muddies?
I know that they wont handle like an A/T on the black top but I know that I could not be bothered changing them over every weekend that i wanted to go out & play.
Cheers
DLT

Re: Achilles MT tyres, traction control HELP!!!

Postby flatcountrymick on Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:11 pm

I run OE road tyres and simexs JT2's hunting high country Victoria. The same happens to me with the simexs on. Pressure and rotation is irrelevant. Miss matched tyres is irrelevant. I assume it is simply "lack of traction" sensed by the vehicle and dealt with accordingly. I turn the ASC off. I would love to hear more from others.
Looking at the FORUM DIRECTORY...
flatcountrymick

Return to Tyres & Wheels