Mud terrains on the sand

Need something to get you rolling?

Mud terrains on the sand

Postby Spooke on Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:06 pm

Hi Felllas,

Not sure where to to put this,please move if im wrong.
My question is how do people go with M/T on the beach ive only ever run A/Ts, Im up for a new set of tyres this week, so any info would be great.

cheers

Luke
Spooke

Re: Mud terrains on the sand

Postby ag9111 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:20 pm

I have had a couple of attempts at sand with muddies. It is possible but AT's certainly make it easier.
I would recommend AT's every time after D697 at ufraser
Saw heaps of 4wd's at fraser running muddies and they didnt really struggle that i saw.
In fact most of the hire vehicles run muddies, but I would say it is mostly for their more solid construction than anything else
Last edited by ag9111 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boycee on Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:57 pm

I ran mickey thompson mtzs on sand and now have a set of ats for sand and muddies for the harder tracks. ;)
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby the d on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:18 pm

I ran my 265/65 R16 Bridgestone dueler M/T on the beach. Did the dunes no worries at 12 psi, but soon as it hit the soft beach it just dug huge trenches out and sank to the rails in next to no time. Had to lower them to 5psi and maxtrax to get out but was sinking as I was getting out. Terrible tyres to use in the soft sand.
the d

Postby Spooke on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:24 pm

Cheers guys i will stick with A/Ts
Spooke

Mud terrains on the sand

Postby mattz on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:48 pm

I've run Micky Thompson MTZs (muddie) and Bridgestone D697s (AT)in sand. The AT does it so much easier.

Recently, I was on a forum trip where myself and another vehicle (both running highway pressures) parked on the beach beside each other. The vehicle running muddies left a deeper foot print in the sand.
If your driving sand most of the time stick to ATs.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Mud terrains on the sand

Postby TheWall on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi Luke,

I run 265/70/17 Hankook Dynapro MT's which are billed as a 'light mud'.

I have done heaps of sand driving with them inc towing the camper on Straddie and also a couple of trips to Fraser. No, they are not as good on sand as the sand HT's but I have never been bogged on sand either. And plenty around me were struggling inc two mates in their HT shod Tritons. Even helped out with soft sand recoveries at Ngala. Ran at 16-18 pressure as well. Ironically, I have only been stuck once...in mud (but in my defence it was trying to help a Ford Ranger

And they were only $265 when others were $400+ and bought them from Jax.

Now, with 25k they are also holding up well despite some punishment and are on track for 60-70k.

Check em out...

MattClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
TheWall

Postby srb on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:50 pm

I think the heavier contruction of the mud tyre stops it from baging out as much as an AT, but you can make muddies work quite well on sand if you just air down a little more than your used to, say about another 5-8psi more. ;) I've ran KM2's all over Austrailia in all sandy conditions and have never found them to be a burden. :)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:58 pm

same, run muddies everywhere in all conditions
I like them in the sand and can get wherever I need to go, but I have a bit of experience in making them work- lower pressures

I think it will depend on your longer term usage, what other things you intend to use the tyres for.

if its just the beach and road, no way get some AT tyres
occasional fire trails, gravel roads, and beach maybe a more aggressive AT (like the stmax, ATZ, duratrac)

if it is more locker territory with beach work thrown in yep go a muddy, I have found the MTR to be a great all rounder but that comes at a premium price, but that tread pattern seems to work well in sand and gravel roads ;)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Spooke on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:00 pm

Cheers guys for the advice.
I was looking at getting a set of hankooks MTs got quoted $209 each so thought that was cheap to give them ago.

Thanks Matt for giving some feed back on them.

The other brand of tyre i have been looking at was toyo ATs got bridgestone ATs on at the moment and they have done me well but most of it was on the beach, black stuff.

But looking at getting a bit dirtier in the mud so thats why i have been looking at MTs
Spooke

Postby Spooke on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:10 am

Went with ATs, stayed with Hankook will get a test over easter. good looking tyre and well priced all 4 wheel alignment balance $836 so was happy with that,

Cheers

Luke
Spooke

Return to Tyres & Wheels