Mickey T ATZ vs Cooper ST

Need something to get you rolling?

Mickey T ATZ vs Cooper ST

Postby daryn on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:41 am

Hi Guys,

I have a GLXR with the 17" wheels and have been umming and aarrring over either MT ATZ 4 rib design or the Cooper ST, size wise I have been looking at the LT265/70R17 in conjunction with 4wd1's Rancho rear shocks/ extended shackles and front strut spacers for close to a 50mm lift. I am not running a bar/winch yet and will do the coils then. I have considered that Cooper St have LT275/70/R17, but I think that this is maybe too big, legal wise blah, blah blah.

Main question is with the tyres eg, noise, on road ride/ off road grip / mileage etc.

Any comments appreciated.

Daryn
daryn
Valued Contributor

Re: Mickey T ATZ vs Cooper ST

Postby FreestyleCab on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:02 am

There have been a few posts on this already, do a search on tyre choice and tyre survey
From those threads you can get my opinion on the Cooper ST......I would buy the Mickey Thompsons, or if you dont care about noise or mileage go for the Cooper STT
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby jop on Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:17 pm

I have the cooper st's in 255/70/16 (15mm on stock size), wearing well, but noisy - i have heard cooper stt are a far better choice and look the goods.
jop

Postby daryn on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:27 pm

Thanks Brett and jop for comments so far, don't worry I read and read and read before posting.

So far I am leaning 2 the MT ATZ 4 rib tyre but the size is pretty much stuck at the LT265 I think, I have now been trying to get a guide on pricing. TJM quoted me today at $432 a tyre, gasp. We shall see, from what I have been reading, that is expensive.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby joker on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:04 pm

$432? I hope thats including new rims too!
joker

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:25 pm

I have run the cooper ST's in the past, when I wanted a comprimise tyre. And thats what I found I ended up with. A tyre that went reasonably well off road and was noisy on road. After the first offroad outing I wished that I went for a MT.

The ATZ looks a better tyre if the majority of the travel is bitumen.

I picked my 265/70/17" mickey thompson MTZ tyres for $350 in August this year. The ATZ were around $5-10 cheaper. I know there has been a price rise in Dec (due to the $$$$$) but from what I have seen on the various forums they should be available for less than $400.

They are wearing well after 10,000kms

BTW try and exchange the original tyres. I got $100/ tyre from the tyre shop- makes a difference when purchasing 5.

Hope this helps Cheers
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby FreestyleCab on Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:58 am

Holy crap! $350 to $430 for a tyre!!! WTF :!:
I paid $255 per tyre for Cooper STT 10plys (in August 2007) and I thought that was dear!
Prices must have really shot up!
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Buzzy on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:16 am

I was quoted on wednesday 24th $370 a tyre. Nearly sh!t myself! That was for 285x75's.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:44 pm

Is anyone running 285/70x17, if so, what is your suspension setup ie. brand/lift. and hopefully no guard mods ?

Another question, BFG All terrains, food for thought , yes/no ?
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:47 pm

Thanks 4wd26,

I have already done that, I had Geolander A/T's put on at delivery for $500, but as things go, I am already keen to change to something better to go along with suspension changes and have a bit more grip.

How do you find your MTZ noise wise ?

4wd26 wrote:I have run the cooper ST's in the past, when I wanted a comprimise tyre. And thats what I found I ended up with. A tyre that went reasonably well off road and was noisy on road. After the first offroad outing I wished that I went for a MT.

The ATZ looks a better tyre if the majority of the travel is bitumen.

I picked my 265/70/17" mickey thompson MTZ tyres for $350 in August this year. The ATZ were around $5-10 cheaper. I know there has been a price rise in Dec (due to the $$$$$) but from what I have seen on the various forums they should be available for less than $400.

They are wearing well after 10,000kms

BTW try and exchange the original tyres. I got $100/ tyre from the tyre shop- makes a difference when purchasing 5.

Hope this helps Cheers
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby fonz on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:51 pm

hey Daryn - Just purchased Cooper ATR - 265-75/16r for $259.00 as an all rounder - some people swear by them and other people swear at them. Each to there own. Depends on the person to determine noise wise and what you can put up with. Also bought new rims - will post pics soon... Cheers Fonz
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.
fonz

Postby daryn on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks fonz,

The Factory canopy looks pretty good as well as the deluxe bar, I am tossing up between the Deluxe and Sahara still.

Anyway, with std suspension how does it all look and work, ie no rubbing anywhere ? geez you like buying rims. what width are the rims ?
Thanks

daryn
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:04 am

daryn wrote:Thanks 4wd26,

I have already done that, I had Geolander A/T's put on at delivery for $500, but as things go, I am already keen to change to something better to go along with suspension changes and have a bit more grip.

How do you find your MTZ noise wise ?

If you have AT's already the noise will be a bit worse, but its not too bad. Mind you I've had these tyres on from new (never driven with standard tyres) and I haven't had a 4x4 without MT's for at least 5 years. The wife isn't complaining so they cannot be too noisy. They grip well in the terrain I use them (dirt trails and rock) but GLXR silver doesn't rate them in the mud (see http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1898)

All terrain tyres IMO are good for touring the minute that you want to use a vehicle (and need low range) you need to get MT. whether they are on a second set of rims or primary tyres is up to the individual.
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:52 am

daryn wrote:Thanks Brett and jop for comments so far, don't worry I read and read and read before posting.

So far I am leaning 2 the MT ATZ 4 rib tyre but the size is pretty much stuck at the LT265 I think, I have now been trying to get a guide on pricing. TJM quoted me today at $432 a tyre, gasp. We shall see, from what I have been reading, that is expensive.

Daryn,
Not sure where you are but there is a discussion over on pradopoint http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4162&start=45 about the MT ATZ 4 rib and current pricing. From the linkl there seems to be a lange variance in pricing- $432 is just too expensive. Check around.
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby daryn on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:09 am

Thanks 4wd26,

Will do, also found this at http://www.4wdaction.com.au/reviews/tips/tyres.php but they only did the FCII and gave the Pirelli the top choice, dont get it !
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:22 am

Will do, also found this at http://www.4wdaction.com.au/reviews/tips/tyres.php but they only did the FCII and gave the Pirelli the top choice, dont get it !

Don't read too much into the tyre comparison that 4wd monthly did. I don't know how to say this nicely BUT the Pirelli tyre was about to be superceeded it won the comparison and then all the old tyres sold out. I have not held much confidence in there articles before this and after the artice just confirmed my belief. I prefer to get opinions from users (forum members) that have no commercial gain just real first hand experience.

That article is a little dated as well, there are some new players into the AT section (MT ATZ) and I'm sure some of the others may have changed either compounds or patterns since.

Cheers
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby daryn on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks,

I thought it must have had some date issue with the article, years ago (hmmm maybe 20 years) when I had one of the first 3"+ lifted suzuki sierra's around, thats when Bushdriver magazine was around and you could drive Wirrabra Ridge for those that have heard of it, I use to run Yoko Super Diggers, Samyang MT (I think they are Kumho now) and BFG MT, and then with a 4Runner that I had about 8 years ago it was BFG AT's, the BFG All Terrains were good, but they just felt sloppy on the road, by that I mean sidewall flex. So, in 2008, there are a heap of different brands and types available, I am far from an expert with triton's so its good that you all have this place to hang, read and quiz. And i still keep coming back to the MT ATZ 4 rib.

4wd26 wrote:

Don't read too much into the tyre comparison that 4wd monthly did. I don't know how to say this nicely BUT the Pirelli tyre was about to be superceeded it won the comparison and then all the old tyres sold out. I have not held much confidence in there articles before this and after the artice just confirmed my belief. I prefer to get opinions from users (forum members) that have no commercial gain just real first hand experience.

That article is a little dated as well, there are some new players into the AT section (MT ATZ) and I'm sure some of the others may have changed either compounds or patterns since.

Cheers
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby ag9111 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:47 pm

Running Copper STT 265/75/16's on stock suspension. Give the ST's a miss. A few guys i know are running them and they report a lot of noise. A few have jumped in my truck over the last few days and reakon they aren't any noisier then there's. In the rough they just keep going. Had 38psi in them the other day and a lifted 100 series couldn't go were i did. Probably he was a s**t driver but anyway i'm really happy.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:18 am

Hi ag9111,

I hear you on the STT or for that matter the MTZ as well, but it is also my work vehicle with the majority of driving on the road, so handling, noise, wet weather performance are all considerations for me to have a AT tyre unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Daryn
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby FreestyleCab on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Once you have gone offroad on mud tyres, there is no going back....running MTs could be compared to having "half a difflock" in added traction. The extra traction compared to AT tyres is amazing. I am looking at getting a second set of rims to run some ATs for my daily driving and save whats left of my STTs for the bush...
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Skog07 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:59 pm

FreestyleCab wrote:Once you have gone offroad on mud tyres, there is no going back....running MTs could be compared to having "half a difflock" in added traction. The extra traction compared to AT tyres is amazing. I am looking at getting a second set of rims to run some ATs for my daily driving and save whats left of my STTs for the bush...

FSC, you are 100% right. You cannot go back from Mud Terrains out in the scrub and they also add half a diff lock as well. Having the versatility of running smaller diameter tyres are a great option as well.
I have two sets now my daily drivers and my muddies, takes about 1/2 hr to change them over. Its a real shame to burn a great set of muddies on the bitumin as I have come to realise that 95% of tyre life is on road.
And that being conservative, a sharp set of muddies in your shed are worth there weight in gold in the bush when you want to use them.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby Homer on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:15 am

Just a thought, lots of people seem to choose A/T's for highway use over H/T's (for their second set).

Is there any reason for this, as I assume (and we all know what that means) that H/T's or highway tyres are designed for better road driving - and from that I mean better wet weather grip, which is all I look for in a road tyre.

This is purely aimed at people with specific M/T's in the shed they throw on when bush bashing.

The A/T's would seem a compromise? and not great for off road, and not great for on road?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby FreestyleCab on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Homer wrote:Just a thought, lots of people seem to choose A/T's for highway use over H/T's (for their second set).

Is there any reason for this, as I assume (and we all know what that means) that H/T's or highway tyres are designed for better road driving - and from that I mean better wet weather grip, which is all I look for in a road tyre.

This is purely aimed at people with specific M/T's in the shed they throw on when bush bashing.

The A/T's would seem a compromise? and not great for off road, and not great for on road?

Two thoughts here:

1) If I get a second set of daily driver tyres I still need some offroad ability with this set. I will be saving the STTs for the dedicated pre planned day trips, but often I have to head out offroad for work and for these unplanned trips I would still need something grippier than a HT.

2) When you first get a set of MTs, they look really agressive and cool. Then after a few months they start to look tame and you wish you have gome for some super swampers or centipedes (with the huge lugs and massive gaps between the tread!). When you then look at a set of HT tyres they look like slicks, I couldn't bring myself to get a set of HTs, my Triton would look too wimpy to me. ;)
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Homer on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:15 pm

Yes I must admit in the trip report pics, the cars with the STT's or MT's look pretty tuff. 8-)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi Buzzy,

Who did you get your quote from ?

So far I am $382 to $390 from Tyrepower and TJM.

Buzzy wrote:I was quoted on wednesday 24th $370 a tyre. Nearly sh!t myself! That was for 285x75's.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Tyres & Wheels