Goodyear Wrangler Silent Weapon

Need something to get you rolling?

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Weapon

Postby rosscoact on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:09 am

Hi,

I recently leased a GLS which comes with Bridgestone HT 245/65 R17. I was looking for something with more durability and off roadworthyness. Most of the driving I will do will be commuting but when 4WD it will be packed with camping and a DRZ400 on a bike carrier on the back. I've ordered the aircushions after the last trip.

The terrian I intend to drive in is mostly dry (like everywhere) with clay and rocky sections.

When I went to my local Beaurepairs looking for an AT tyre they recommended Goodyear Wrangler Silent Weapon but get this, in this size they are $1600 for the set including balancing and alignment. They've been well reviewed but the $$$$$ makes me think there may be better alternatives out there.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance
ross
rosscoact

Re: Goodyear Wrangler Silent Weapon

Postby daryn on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:17 am

Have a look at this for feedback, but it is on "armour" not "weapon" http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/f7/g ... ler-26472/
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:27 am

Just buy a 2nd set of rims and tyres mate! For that money you can get some good rims and tyres!
ML-VR08

Postby rosscoact on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:50 am

daryn wrote:Have a look at this for feedback, but it is on "armour" not "weapon" http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/f7/g ... ler-26472/

Freudian slip :lol:

There does seem to be some polarising of opinions over this tyre, some love it some hate it.

I'll keep looking (or keep driving on the HT's for a while)

Just buy a 2nd set of rims and tyres mate! For that money you can get some good rims and tyres!

which is the other possibility, get some offroad oriented tyres and change as needed
rosscoact

Postby Blue on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:45 pm

rosscoact wrote:Hi,

I recently leased a GLS which comes with Bridgestone HT 245/65 R17. I was looking for something with more durability and off roadworthyness. Most of the driving I will do will be commuting but when 4WD it will be packed with camping and a DRZ400 on a bike carrier on the back. I've ordered the aircushions after the last trip.

The terrian I intend to drive in is mostly dry (like everywhere) with clay and rocky sections.

When I went to my local Beaurepairs looking for an AT tyre they recommended Goodyear Wrangler Silent Weapon but get this, in this size they are $1600 for the set including balancing and alignment. They've been well reviewed but the $$$$$ makes me think there may be better alternatives out there.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance
ross

Wait 'til someone quotes you on cooper atr in that size - I won't have coopers but the cheapest quote so far is $379/corner
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Blue on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:48 pm

rosscoact wrote:

which is the other possibility, get some offroad oriented tyres and change as needed

Which is what I have done - 5 x 265/75-16 Federal Couragia MT mounted on black 16x8 rims for $1620
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jop on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:54 pm

Bobp has the silent armour's in 265/75/16 - he loves them.
jop

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Maybe try Bobp?
he is running silent armours in 265/75/16 size
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:12 pm

Man what happened to the function that warned someone else has posted in the thread while your typeing (the boss is looking over your shoulder) so you don't say what someone else has?
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby subi_man on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:08 pm

I have Silent Armours in 265/75/16. I have done 50,000km on them on very course gravel, and they don't have a huge amount of life left (maybe 10,000 at the absolute MAX). I'm mostly very happy with them for dry and tar use, here they are very good, but they are poor in mud. I haven't had a puncture, and they are resistant to chipping, unlike the Coopers I've had on previous vehicles.

Click to view larger picture

However when these are worn out, I will be probably going something different like a BFG A/T or M/T that will hopefully perform better in mud - there probably isn't a tyre designed that would suit me perfectly, I need something good on coarse gravel for half a day, and then in mud after lunch :?

Cheers
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:14 pm

Subi,
How long ago was that pic taken????
No bar!
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby subi_man on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:28 pm

aaaaaaaaaaages ago mate, the Triton still had that new-car smell!!
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Return to Tyres & Wheels