Wheel stud warning

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Wheel stud warning

Postby WUNSIE on Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:10 pm

RHKTriton wrote:I can't get over how fearful people are to lubricate nuts and bolts on assembly.

My grand father, dad and I have always put a drop of engine oil on the thread and cone of wheel nuts when refitting and have never had a nut come loose.

Lubrication actually let's you do up the nut more smoothly, without the need for rattle guns, etc.

You want the nut to turn, not start 'grabbing' the stud and try and twist it.

With you all the way mate, Know where youre coming from, Ol Skool maintainance ;)
WUNSIE

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Tue May 29, 2018 3:20 pm

After just changing my front brake rotors n pads, I can say I am shocked. One stud had already snapped from last time I had the wheel off, so I had a spare new one. Unfortunately, when looking at the new stud next to the old ones I could see about 5-10mm of thread that was stretched to a new pitch, on every stud except the one that was replaced last year by the suspension installer when he snapped one. Yikes! So, I am now wondering if I should replace the lot before a wheel comes off. Not cheap at $10 each but my life is a bit more valuable than that.
Rattle guns should be made illegal.
BTW, part number is NS 315 for "Nice" brand.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed May 30, 2018 1:23 am

wildturkeycanoe wrote:One stud had already snapped from last time I had the wheel off.

Unfortunately, it seems the OEM studs are virtually mild steel. I'm currently looking into some decent high-tensile ones.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed May 30, 2018 8:18 am

It is scary to contemplate how many vehicles on our roads have overstressed wheel studs (& wanna be studs with nuts. :lol: ).

I'm still not convinced those torquee bars are the solution and the wheel jockey has to actually fit the correct one for each wheel type, etc.

All I know, is that when I torque up using the wrench, most nuts feel reasonably easy to remove next time and require similar effort. Not an extended bar with the nut screaming as it comes loose.

It would be worth taking your fails studs to a metal testing place and see if they meet specs. May be a recall trigger.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bitsamissing on Wed May 30, 2018 8:59 am

A friend of mine was telling me only a week or so about his daughter's brand new outback style caravan. One of the wheels fell off on its maiden voyage... and it hadn't even left the bitumen. All the studs had sheared, and the studs on the other wheels showed signs of impending failure. It turned out the manufacturer was vastly over-torquing the wheel nuts. They fixed hers, but who knows if they changed their ways or what will happen to all the other vans out there already.
Chris
MQ Club Cab Ute
Bitsamissing

Postby Crash486 on Wed May 30, 2018 5:24 pm

I asked the lube or not question and was told ...
"Follow the manufacturers instructions"

Reasons given for no lube
1) copper grease causes galvanic corrosion.
2) lubricated threads result in higher (than no lube) clamping force for the same torque and can actually stretch studs leading to warped hubs.
3) no lube results in the highest rotational friction which is what you want.

Reasons given for lube
1) reduces galvanic corrosion between alloy wheel and steel bolt / stud making maintenance easier.

This stage I'm going with no lube. Used to use it with steel wheels, not used since I've had vehicles with alloys.

Own choice I guess.

crash486
Crash486

Postby Bitsamissing on Wed May 30, 2018 7:09 pm

I've always lubed the thread (with oil) but not the mating surface with the wheel. However I'm not finicky about it so I'm sure I've ended up with oil on the mating surface on occasions... and I've never had a nut work loose.
Chris
MQ Club Cab Ute
Bitsamissing

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Thu May 31, 2018 9:30 pm

Click to view larger picture
Here are some pics of my brake rotor change and the stretched studs. Still unhappy and wondering how safe it is to drive on them.
Click to view larger pictureThe new rotors and brakes are okay though, but nothing to write home about yet with <300km on them at this stage. However, they do not wobble like the old ones which were quite bad and had pieces breaking off from the outside of the rotor where the "lip" had formed. Could probably machine them up but I'll see how the new ones hold out.
FYI, the new ones are RDA brand.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby jrs184 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:05 am

The other problem with overtightening the studs is cracked alloys they are not designed to be torqued as high as steel wheels...
jrs184

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:17 am

I've had the standard RDA units on for around 100k and they're wearing evenly and have shown no distortions, whereas the original units started giving the wobble/distortion symptoms within 40k.

The factory castings are just crepe! (Rubbish, poo, etc, :lol: )

Just follow the bedding in process to the letter with your new units.

Is it the optical distortion, or is the mounted stud in the pic at a slight angle to the hub?

If my studs had stretched that much, I'd immediately replace them. Better safe.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:59 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Is it the optical distortion, or is the mounted stud in the pic at a slight angle to the hub?

If my studs had stretched that much, I'd immediately replace them. Better safe.

Just an illusion, I don't think they're bent. Definitely going to save up for new studs, cheapest I've seen is about $9 each I think, off E-bay. Worth it in the long run.
wildturkeycanoe

Previous

Return to Tyres & Wheels