Got Zero Offset? Got any dramas?

Need something to get you rolling?

Got Zero Offset? Got any dramas?

Postby Jamm0 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:41 pm

Let me start by saying I've spent the last few days reading and searching the forum and net before deciding to create a new post. I haven't quite got the answers I need and feel I need more guidance before pulling the trigger on a set of zero offset rims.

This is not another "will it fit" question.

Background: The workshop that installed my bullbar managed to butcher the original fenders on my stock 2009 MN Triton GLX-R. I thought great! Good enough excuse to add some Kut Snake flares to the build. Now, the 2inch lift kit gets installed this Tuesday, the flares and a snorkel get installed on Wednesday and then it's off to the tyre shop on Thursday for rims and rubber.

Needing to fill the new wider guards, I've searched the forum and decided on some 265/70r17 BFG A/Ts and some 17x8 0 Dynamic Steel Sunraysias.

Learning a thing or two from the forum, I will be installing a tail shaft spacer and requesting a finger balance for the steel rims to reduce the chances of shudder and vibration.

So here's my question: Has anyone running a zero offset had any wear-and-tear issues or handling issues resulting from the zero offset rims? A Google search offers some generic Cons to wider than factory offset being increased stress on bearings and suspension components. Has anyone had any breakages?

Dilemma: I'm building this truck quickly before going to work in a very remote part of WA soon. I really don't want to have any reliability issues as a result of the above set up. The alternative is repairing the original fenders and putting the same size A/Ts on the stock 17x7.5 -38 GLX-R mags (sacrificing the tough stance I wanted).

To the zero offset guys... experiences?

To the mechanical gurus... thoughts?
2009 Triton GLX-R MN MY10
Jamm0

Re: Got Zero Offset? Got any dramas?

Postby ag9111 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:44 am

Aren't those flares another 2" or so wider.
I have not looked them up.
If so I am going to confuse you even more.
Will the 265 and 0 offset be wide enough.
I thought guys running those flares were going to -15 and 285 minimum.
Check out Naffs build thread as he has gone down that path.
Last edited by ag9111 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jamm0 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:41 am

Thanks for the reply ag9111. The shop doing the flare install told me on the phone that they come in 2 sizes, a "mild" and a "monster". He stated the smaller flare adds about an extra inch width. I'll definitely be measuring them before they go on my car so hopefully the zero offset rims should be enough to complete the look. I'm just more concerned now about the extra strain I'm putting on the driveline by pushing the wheels out 38mm from factory.
Jamm0

Postby ag9111 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:02 am

I run +10 and 265 75 with no problem.
I dont think another 10mm will make a huge difference in reliability
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:21 am

Won't pushing your wheels out make it much more likely to rip you thumbs off (if you're not gripping the wheel properly) while 4wheeling?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:29 am

Just a few other things to consider:

- Is it legal? Nope, not even close. Track width increases are limited by various State laws.

- Effects on braking and handling. Generally the extra weight of steel wheels impacts badly on ABS. The extra weight can also affect spring and shock absorber performance.

- Wheels centring. You will need rings to centre the wheels on the hubs.

- Steel wheel nuts. Nuts from alloys are not suitable for steel wheels.

- Wear. As you've identified. How quickly this happens depends on a range of factors.

- Insurance. Check your policy to see if you'd be covered. Some insurance companies will reject a claim if modifications aren't legal or are not previously agreed to.

Would I do it? I ran +20 alloys on the Triton with no ill effects other than some extra tyre wear on the fronts which I could balance through rotation to the rear. On the Pajero? No way. The extra tyre wear from amplifying the effect on the IRS would be ridiculous.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Jamm0 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks Chris and everyone else, your opinions are very much appreciated. You've swayed my decision haha

I'm going to ring the shop up on Monday morning and cancel the flares. There really is no point sacrificing reliability and safety for the sake of aesthetics. I'll keep the OEM mags (they look pretty schmick anyway), paint 'em black and put the bigger tyres on. Save myself a heap of cash repairing the original fenders as well.
Jamm0

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:11 pm

I would only fit +38 to +20.
Legally +13 is as low as you can go.
Others have successfully driven all over Australia on 0 offset without issues.
There are no centering rings for steel rims.
L200Shogun

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:05 pm

Homer is running the zero offset and 265 combination tyres hasn't done any damage as far as I know in terms of bearings or anything yes illegal but pretty safe in terms of reliability if you stick with 32" (tyres you say you want to run)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby aids84 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:21 am

NowForThe5th wrote:
- Steel wheel nuts. Nuts from alloys are not suitable for steel wheels.

The wheel nuts for the alloys are designed to also work with steelies. The models with 16" alloy rims come with a steel spare, but not another 6 different wheel nuts to suit.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Tyres & Wheels