Mickey Thompson - MTZ vs Baja Claw

Need something to get you rolling?

Mickey Thompson - MTZ vs Baja Claw

Postby Zantus on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:49 pm

I just got some prices on 285's and was surprised to hear that here in South Africa the Baja Claw Radials are slightly cheaper than the MTZ's.

Is there any specific reasons why so many people are running MTZ's and not Baja Claw Radials.

Anyone know what mileage one can expect from these 2 tyres?
Zantus

Re: Mickey Thompson - MTZ vs Baja Claw

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:07 am

Claws are directional so you really need 6. They can be a bit sketchy on wet roads and dont like muddy side slopes very much. They also wear a lot faster.

BUT they are a much better tyre for most offroad activities, everything is a comprimise.

I run the MTZ on my truck because the wife has to drive it most of the time. When they wear out I'll be looking at a 2 wheels and tyre combination (probably MT ATZ for daily duties and touring and simex 33" for offroading)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby mmaaxx on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:13 pm

you dont need 6 tyres for a directional tread...just rotate the four you got, and have a non directional tyre as a spare.

Thats what I do.

in regards to not having too much sideways grip, my silverstone grip pretty good sideways in mud and they are not that far removed from claws in design.

The MTZ's get the 3 ply sidewalls in most sizes whereas the Claws only get 2 ply, claws get the 3ply with those larger special order sizes.

each to their own....Id consider claws next time round, their 305/70x16 is only 11.9 wide compare to toher 305's that are 12.5 inches and more.

Oh, and the CLAWS have the Visual Impact aswell :lol:
The Punisher's Build - - http://www.newhilux.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=35
max@monsterrides.com.au
mmaaxx

Postby Mud16 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:06 pm

I have already have done 65k on mine and will still get another 15k out of them and they are good allrounder tyre just noisey ;) ;)
Mud16

Postby Dylan 191 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:44 am

Mud16 wrote:I have already have done 65k on mine and will still get another 15k out of them and they are good allrounder tyre just noisey ;) ;)

hey mud how much of your driving is on the bitumen ?
cheers Dylan
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Return to Tyres & Wheels