20 inch rims and off road tyres?

Need something to get you rolling?

20 inch rims and off road tyres?

Postby jimmy on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:47 pm

I have been doing some ebay wish listing from the states and have found some great looking wheels in the 18 or 20 inch range and off road tyres to suit, now accepting that a 33 inch tyre is a straight forward fit, 35 with a lift im a little surprised that no one seems to have gone down this road (correct me if im wrong). i like the idea and prices seem very good to, even with our dodgy exchange rate. Can anyone enlighten me as to fitment of either 33x12.5x18 or 33x12.5x20 tyres. i know their pretty big but they would look hot, love to get some feed back
after Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF
jimmy

Re: 20 inch rims and off road tyres?

Postby rick on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:58 pm

i dont think you would get enough wind in them to be any good on sand ie to deflate and cause a mushroom,i recon they would be pretty fragile also
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Postby Stu on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:08 pm

a 35" tyre on a 20" rim should give you the same sidewall as a 31" tyre on a 16" rim, and an 18" rim with a 35" tyre would give more sidewall than a 16" rim with a 32". Would look tops I reckon, not many people have perfected getting 35" boots on yet tho
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby tassietriton on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:42 pm

New off road tyres are on the radar once I get this shudder sorted.
Currently running lower profile Coopers so that my rolling diameter is about the same as stock.
tassietriton

Postby jimmy on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:04 pm

yeah both the 18 and 20 inch tyres seem to have plenty of sidewall, brands nitto, toyo and kuhmo seem readily available and much cheaper, waiting for a quote on freight to oz, also need to talk to the local tyre shop see if they can get them in, i love the look of a big rim and if i can combine it with an MT or AT tyre that would be great, i saw a hummer today with a similar type set up and it looked the goods
after Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF
jimmy

Postby patto on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:01 pm

Depends on what sort of off roading you will be doing.. With the bigger wheels you will just have to check the load rating and strength of the wheel.. Im sure they will be fine for dirt road, unsealed driving. but but em in the soft stuff on rocks and i think you will have issues, as mentioned with the deflating issues and low profile tyres.. more chance of damaging rims.
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Return to Tyres & Wheels