20 inch rims = rough ride

Need something to get you rolling?

20 inch rims = rough ride

Postby kawaug on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I bought a 2007 gls that has 20 inch rims with 265/45/20 tyres and it seems to me that the ride is rough. I've put new shocks all round but the ride still shits me. Has anyone else with big rims got the same problem. I love the truck but it would be sooo much better if i didn't feel every bump.
kawaug

Re: 20 inch rims = rough ride

Postby Wallace on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:18 am

Maybe send Tassietriton and Amalinze a pm they have both run 20 inch rims, they maybe able to give you some sort of answer to your question ;)
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby subi_man on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:36 am

the 45 profile tyres and the pressure they need to have in them are definitely your problem I'm tipping
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:30 am

Absolutely,Subi. Low profile tyres don't have the sidewall height to absorb small bumps so they're transferred through the suspension all the way to your bum. I get to drive lots of different cars and all those with very low profile tyres have terrible ride (and crap handling).
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mad992 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:02 pm

i thought handling was improved with low profile tyres
mad992

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:28 pm

No Mad, it's not. When cornering, as the suspension angles change a standard (say 50 series or higher) tyre has enough sidewall to allow the tread to squirm and thereby maintain the best contact with the road. High profile tyres (say 85) allow too much and aren't wide enough in the tread but very low profile tyres don't allow this so the optimum contact can't be maintained and you lose grip. For this reason most race cars use nothing lower than 50 series and rally cars use even higher aspect ratios and often fabric radial construction so that the sidewalls can flex better.

In terms of ride and handling, the value of low profile tyres varies inversely to the wank factor.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:58 pm

Eer, no offence kawaug.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby amalinze on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:19 pm

I actually run 22 inch rims. But i would not ask me about rough rides. I have NO suspension. I am actually riding on the rubber bump stops, so every trip is rough. but i doubt the 20 inch rims would be helping much.

P.S. I love the "Wank" factor!!!
METHANOL INJECTION ROCKS!
amalinze

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:03 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:In terms of ride and handling, the value of low profile tyres varies inversely to the wank factor.

that clearly deserves a couple of these :geek: :ugeek: :geek: :ugeek: - reads like it came straight out of the CSIRO!
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby jacky_moo on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:59 am

im running stock suspension and 20's (275/45/R20) and the ride does not feel much different at all imo...
jacky_moo

Postby Jiminy on Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:08 pm

I had 22" for 2 years and went back to 16" rims and there isn't as much difference in ride comfort as people say.

The advantage of standard rims is you can drop your tyre pressure and improve ride comfort that way, you can't with big rims.

If big rims and low profile tyres have such poor ride quality, why do all new $100,000 plus vehicles have optional (if not standard) 20"+ rims with 45 series tyres. ie Range Rover, Cayenne, X5s.
Jiminy

Postby qldbench on Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:47 pm

Jiminy wrote:I had 22" for 2 years and went back to 16" rims and there isn't as much difference in ride comfort as people say.

The advantage of standard rims is you can drop your tyre pressure and improve ride comfort that way, you can't with big rims.

If big rims and low profile tyres have such poor ride quality, why do all new $100,000 plus vehicles have optional (if not standard) 20"+ rims with 45 series tyres. ie Range Rover, Cayenne, X5s.

exactly... theres little difference..... and 17s just dont cut it in the looks department....

"Its a bling thing"
2010 GLX-R TRITON (BLACK) WITH 22s
2002 LEXUS LX470(CUSTOM BLACK) WITH custom 3inch exhaust and 22s..you hear it before ya see it... lol
qldbench

Postby Steane on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Plenty of cars run 45 profile rubber (or less) and have good rides and excellent handling. The latest HSV and FPV products are two examples. The Nissan 370z now runs 19" wheels and low profile performance tyres and it has a very comfortable ride, and exceptional handling.

Yet the latest Golf GTI (without the adjustable suspension), rides like an old cart on lower profile 18" performance tyres.

Seems to me that a lot of it comes down to the engineers ability to tune the suspension to work with the wheel/tyre combination. Thats not to say that smaller wheels and higher profile tyres wouldn't be better if the ultimate in handling was being chased rather than a handling/bling compromise. But smaller wheels would mean smaller brakes for some of todays performance cars, and that would be a backwards step.

I don't think the Triton's standard suspension is likely to deal with much more than the standard wheels and tyres, and even then its crap.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Don't get me wrong. I love big wheels and ultra low profile tyres.....on other people's cars. We make a fortune repairing all the damaged ones. Well nigh impossible to get gutter rash with 265/70's.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby mad992 on Sat May 08, 2010 5:57 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Don't get me wrong. I love big wheels and ultra low profile tyres.....on other people's cars. .

always guaranteed to turn heads big wheels and low profile tyres.on a triton.......i would like to get some someday, maybe

just forking out another few grand for something i dont need :!: :!:
mad992

Postby Earlyninja on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Steane wrote:Plenty of cars run 45 profile rubber (or less) and have good rides and excellent handling. The latest HSV and FPV products are two examples. The Nissan 370z now runs 19" wheels and low profile performance tyres and it has a very comfortable ride, and exceptional handling.

Yet the latest Golf GTI (without the adjustable suspension), rides like an old cart on lower profile 18" performance tyres.

Seems to me that a lot of it comes down to the engineers ability to tune the suspension to work with the wheel/tyre combination. Thats not to say that smaller wheels and higher profile tyres wouldn't be better if the ultimate in handling was being chased rather than a handling/bling compromise. But smaller wheels would mean smaller brakes for some of todays performance cars, and that would be a backwards step.

I don't think the Triton's standard suspension is likely to deal with much more than the standard wheels and tyres, and even then its crap.

I agree. Sports SUV's these days have very low profile tyres yet the ride is shockingly compliant. the BMW X5 M series rears are 315/35

But with the Triton being a ute - 275/55 R20? might soften the ride enough to make it managably comfortable. There must be a point where macho appearance balances ride comfort. and it will be almost the same diameter as 265/75 r16
Earlyninja

Postby viking shippy on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:24 am

Low profile tyres and 20inch rims on a 4x4 ute...
Now that's an oxymoron...
And a oxymoron that isn't a guy with a blow torch....
viking shippy

Postby tomdej on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:57 am

The reason certain high performance cars run large diameter rims with low profile tyres is to allow the use of larger brake rotors. Few things make me chuckle more than seeing a 4wd, or a hyundai excel, with big rims and low profile tyres. If you aren't trying to fill the rim with a large brake rotor you are wasting your money. As far as looking 'sick', I must be getting old. To me it just looks daft. Now don't get me started on filling these expensive tyres, on their expensive rims, with nitrogen.
tomdej
Platinum Subscriber

Postby c-dale on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:36 am

Lady I used to work with had 24" rims i believe wrapped in what looked like rubber bands the tyres were that thin on her Triton. Made me sad every day I walked past it. To rub salt on the wound it had a 4x4 sticker on the tailgate :roll:

I would love to see an X5 actually offroad, hahaha.
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Calblitzen on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:03 pm

c-dale wrote:

I have. He was struggling to get up the hill out of Kingfisher on Fraser Island.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby viking shippy on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:11 pm

Calblitzen wrote:
c-dale wrote:

I have. He was struggling to get up the hill out of Kingfisher on Fraser Island.

Ohh but they did it in style .....:-p
viking shippy

Postby Calblitzen on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:47 pm

viking shippy wrote:
Calblitzen wrote:
c-dale wrote:

Ohh but they did it in style .....:-p

Not by the look on his face.

Calblitzen

Postby ag9111 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:23 am

My brothers V8 X5 on AT 18's eats the sand up. He runs the standard 20's on road
Sounds brilliant at full song with the after market exhaust as well :)
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Calblitzen on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:59 am

I think it was more the ruts and lack of ground clearance that was his problem.

Calblitzen

Postby mjrstar on Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:57 am

I run 295 50 20's on my triton and the ride is ok. Possibly a bit more feedback through the steering wheel than factory. ..
Current steeds:
09 GLXR double cab.
04 Turbo airtrek (outlander)
96 Lancer evolution 4.
79 Toyota starlet race car.
71 Austin mini.
mjrstar

Next

Return to Tyres & Wheels