Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61

Need something to get you rolling?

Postby CamboWambo on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Hi all,

I am planning on getting new tires by the end of January as the stock Conti's are scary on wet streets. I have basically narrowed my choices to the Yokohama AT-S and the Kumho SAT KL61. Both are similiar in design and function and perfect for my needs as I don't venture into rock crawling or heavy mud. The kumho is tied for 1st place on tirerack.com in the on/off road tire catergory and highly rated on other online forums. Do you guys and gals have the Kumho SAT's in your area and if yes, what have you heard or experienced? It's a fairly new model, about a year now, but I like Kumho products so I am leaning hard towards them.
Readily available A/T tires here are:
Bridgestone D694 (good, but not much sidewall style)
Maxxis A/T (not much open tread voids looks to much like an H/T to me)
Yokohama AT-S (very nice tread design and sidewall design)
Kumho KL78 (good looking tread design and sidewall design)
Kumho SAT KL61 (very nice tread design and sidewall design)
Never send a truck to do a Triton's job
CamboWambo

Re: Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61

Postby steve1961 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:09 am

Kumho KL78..looks the best
steve1961

Postby Diddy on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:38 am

Get the kl71's I run them and can't fault them they are really quiet and great on the road in all types of weather and awesome in the bush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby Notso on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:04 am

Interesting pricing difference for these tyres between US $167.00 per, UK, 113 Pounds, Aust $303.00, makes you wonder why they cost so much over here.
Notso

Postby Diddy on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:31 am

Notso wrote:Interesting pricing difference for these tyres between US $167.00 per, UK, 113 Pounds, Aust $303.00, makes you wonder why they cost so much over here.

I paid $298 for the kl71 265/70/17 (32")

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby CamboWambo on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:37 pm

The KL71 is a great tire. I researched it when I was considering a muddy just because they look so good on a truck. I had at the time narrowed it down to Maxxis Bighorn and the KL71 because both are said to have a softer rubber compund than the other muddy tires. I like the softer compound because it usually results in better handling and braking on the streets. I would guess that a muddy would also be good at resisting hydroplaning because of the large tread voids, I really need a tire that won't hydroplane because of the heavy rains we get here.

I like the KL78, it looks sweet on trucks and suv's that I see here, but most of the ones I see always look under inflated. I am not sure if it's just coincidense that KL78 owners don't mind their inflations or is it because the sidewalls are weak?
The price for tires here is pretty decent, plus there is no sales tax or installation fees. A few months ago I priced the Bighorns at a small mom and pop shop in a 265/75/16 "C" rating and they wanted $140 USD and the "E" rating was $160 USD per tire installed. I would get the "C" rating for on road comfort but still durable off road.
CamboWambo

Postby CamboWambo on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:04 pm

I must make a correction to my comment on the Maxxis A/T that I made in my above post.
I went to get a flat tire fixed this morning (nail in the tread) and the little store now had Maxxis AT-700 and AT-771 Bravo Series in stock. It's a great looking tire and comparable to the Yokohama and Kumho A/T's. It turns out that originally when I went to his store to check out what he had in stock, he pointed out the MA-752 Bravo Series which was not impressive looking for an A/T. Now my head is spinning again as I had thought I was set on the Kumho SAT, now this Maxxis AT-771 has me rethinking things , AGAIN. By the way I couldn't tell the difference between the AT-700 and the AT-771 and the store owner wasn't sure about it either but he said it took a long time to get the order in.
Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture

the Kumho KL61 and Maxxis AT-771 I found online pics
CamboWambo

Kumho KL61 245/65R17 on ML GLX-R 2009

Postby Spence on Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:45 pm

I just drove off on these today on the stock rims and they are a very nice tyre, very quiet and they felt great in the rain. I managed to get a set of 4 for $700 from KTAS who were competing on price.

The tread pattern is not very aggressive and I reckon it will be a good beach tyre and general offroader but will likeky struggle with deep mud

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Spence

Return to Tyres & Wheels