Goodyear Duratrac

Need something to get you rolling?

Goodyear Duratrac

Postby Narloo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Anyone had experience with these yet? They look the goods and are used extensively by mining companies in outback S.A., or so the story goes :)
I'm thinking of 245/75/16 as a preferred size due to the 15mm rule here in S.A.
A pic can be found here http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/mediap ... raTrac.jpg
Any feedback would be appreciated
Narloo

Re: Goodyear Duratrac

Postby longsville on Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:44 pm

They look realy good! Can you explain this 15mm rule to me as we have it here in Tassie and ive seen it in other posts but no idea what its about
longsville

Goodyear Duratrac

Postby JamoGLXR on Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:45 pm

Some of our 70series cruisers at work with no complaints, but I can't comment on their driving style or what they drive on.. A little better life then my goodyear MTR kevlars on my 70series but mine dont have an easy life
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby Homer on Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:51 pm

I was at a Goodyear place a little while ago and they had 16 of these sitting out the back on white sunnies going to a mine here in Qld too.

No idea how they perform or anything but sounds like a mining company has a supply contract with Goodyear...don't know if that is a recommendation or not - if it was a Govt contract it wouldn't auger well for them :roll:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Snooozy on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:18 pm

from all reports so far they are a very good piece of rubber

I would have put them on but they were out of stock Aust wide at the time.

Steve08 has them fitted. drop him a PM memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=231 :mrgreen:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Narloo on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Thanks for the replies, yeah I agree that a government contract may not be a recommendation but other reports have been good esp. in relation to road noise which is supposed to be quite low. Longsville the 15mm rule as I understand it means you cannot legally put a tyre taller than 15mm than that which is originally supplied, this means that 265/75/16 may not be legal. Although the general feeling is that the police don't really care but your insurance company may, best to ask them I guess.
Narloo

Postby Tim007 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:22 am

I just purchased a set of 265/75/16 that I have been waiting on for over 2 months. I have not taken them off road yet but they look awesome and are fairly quiet on the black stuff. You will need a lift though to make sure you don't rub on lock.
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Postby Stevo8 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:22 pm

I've had these Duratracs on for a while. Was about to put a a new post on them. They are a great tyre.
Highly reccomended. ;) ;) :D

In the past I've had BF Goodrich Mud (KM), Cooper STT, and Mickey Thompson Dick Cepek FC11. So I'll compare with these.

I honestly reckon these Duratracs are a top tyre. Better than all of above. BFG's were good too, but not as good on road, probably just better off?. I wouldn't buy the other two again. FC11 's are OK if you just want a hard compound tyre that will last forever but noisy and slippery in wet., I found the Cooper Stt's disappointing on and off road but no punctures. They wore out quick and were slippery in the wet. And just ok in mud. And noisier than BFG.

But these Duratracs are quiet on road, nearly silent to about 60 - 70 kph then a light hum at highway speed.
Grip on wet road is excellent, hard to spin on full acceleration, and brake well with a two and half tonne trailer.
Done a bit of off road and no complaints.

IMO they are the best mud tyre you can get for good on road performance, but being a muddy they look tough and are tough.

Once word gets out they will sell like hot cakes!!!!!!!!!
Stevo8

Postby Narloo on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks Stevo8 sounds good, I get mine fitted this Saturday - 4 of 245/75/16 Duratraks for on road and 2 cheaper no- name cheapies for my spares as I'm sick of having an expensive tyre under the car doing nothing. The Duratraks cost me $295 so I,m over the moon :D as the next 2 quotes were $360 & $410 , can't get there quick enough! 8-)
Narloo

Postby atenean1 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:37 pm

Just adding my two cents in here for these tyres ;)

I've had these tyre on my Triton now for just over a year approx 18,000 kms on them and still look new. I have to say for the price I paid for them $320 (265/75/16) each fitted I'm extremely happy with them.
They are very quite on the black stuff compared to other tyres with similar looking tread pattern. Grip on the wet is also very good compared to some MTs I've driven on before, although this is classified by Goodyear as a aggressive all terrain tyre when I asked them why it was so much cheaper.

I've taken them on sand, gravel and mud/clay and they haven't missed a beat. The only concern I have is that they do seem belly out more (something to do with only having two ply side walls compared to three with other leading AAT and MT tyres) when let down and I'm always wary when pressures are low and sharp rocks are around. Having said that I haven't had any puncture on any one of them.

Hope that helps
Rob

ps: Some pics on my shed with them on if you're interested :)
atenean1

Postby gutters on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:05 am

Just searched google and noticed that Goodyear are doing a 4 for the price of 3 deal at the moment :D :D

HEre is a link for those that are interested

http://www.goodyearautocare.com.au/cent ... bgod5SpvbA
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby TheWall on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:24 am

Bumping an old thread again. :D

A another member (Tim007) on here is trying very hard to convince me these are ducks nuts when it comes to AT's. I had been looking at D697's after ruling out BFG's due to the feedback on poor wet tarmac handling. Like ost people, my ca is my daily driver but I do a bit of sand driving. Never really encountered mud and rocks yet but I am keen to head out more.

Any owners with these want to comment on on road performance or anything else I should be aware of?

GOODYEAR are running the 4 for 3 special but it does not include Duratracs this time. :( :( :( :(

Thanks
TheWall

Postby Bazzer87 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:56 am

Can't fault the handling on & off road.
My first set were almost dead after 20,000kms... But I got a new set for free :D
I only had the new set for 10,000kms before getting rid of my old 4x4 (kept the tyres), but I haven't put them on the new Triton yet.
But they are wearing MUCH better. First set was visibly deteriorated after that many Ks.
MY12 MN Triton
2" Ultimate lift, 285/75R16 Wrangler Duratracs, 1" Body lift, Factory Rear Diff Lock, ARB Canopy, ARB Alloy Roof Racks, Xrox Bullbar, Roo Systems Roof Top Tent, Dual batteries, Draw System
Bazzer87

Postby motoz on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:45 pm

My set are going great. They're about 15000k old now. One HC trip, two trips to Victoria and a couple trips down the South East.

There's no chipping and there wearing amazingly well considering the tread pattern. I've been incredibly happy with there performance both on and off the black top.

A solid all round performer.

:cool:
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tim007 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:08 pm

Told ya!!! :)
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Postby TheWall on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:19 pm

Tim007 wrote:Told ya!!! :)

I am really hoping I don't buy these tyres,...I will never hear the end of it! :mrgreen:
TheWall

Postby Tim007 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:57 pm

TheWall wrote:
Tim007 wrote:Told ya!!! :)

I am really hoping I don't buy these tyres,...I will never hear the end of it! :mrgreen:

you will never here the end of it if you don't and I have to snatch you out of your first bog I just drove threw. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Postby Trough Lolly on Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:40 pm

Tim007 wrote:I just purchased a set of 265/75/16 that I have been waiting on for over 2 months. I have not taken them off road yet but they look awesome and are fairly quiet on the black stuff. You will need a lift though to make sure you don't rub on lock.

Piffle on the lift, i fitted these tyres to the factory alloys at 200kms old and they had 4-5mm clearance to the mudflap on the front guard on lock.

Plenty of room!!
Trough Lolly

Postby salt36 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:56 pm

They may still touch when off road at full lock when the wheel is right up in the guard.....

By all the reports above seem to be a great tyre 8-)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby willotriton on Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:37 pm

Been looking through the threads, Duratrac has a great rep. Still? Last post was 2013. Got a quote from Beaurepairs today for $330 ea. Knocked em down from $350 ea
willotriton

Goodyear Duratrac

Postby motoz on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:20 am

willotriton wrote:Been looking through the threads, Duratrac has a great rep. Still? Last post was 2013. Got a quote from Beaurepairs today for $330 ea. Knocked em down from $350 ea

Yes mate still going strong.

Have done about 40k on them now. No chipping with only a few cuts in the tread blocks. Have done a fair few trips to the Flinders Rangers and the shale lines arn't the kindest on tires ;)

They have gotten a bit noisier though though so do all tires as they wear. Still showing 9mm tread depth all round so maintaining pressure and rotation is the key.

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture

:)
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby willotriton on Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback Motoz, sounds like they're the way to go! Looked up the tred depth from new at 14.3mm or 18/32. So with 9mm left you're only about 30% worn after 40k! Thats huge in terms of durability, especially with the terrain you hit. I'm sold.
willotriton

Postby motoz on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:43 pm

willotriton wrote:Thanks for the feedback Motoz, sounds like they're the way to go! Looked up the tred depth from new at 14.3mm or 18/32. So with 9mm left you're only about 30% worn after 40k! Thats huge in terms of durability, especially with the terrain you hit. I'm sold.

Mate I was chuffed also.

It wasn't till this morning that I read your post then went outside had a look and took stock.

These tires have a huge following in the U.S. There are many threads on Expedition Portal singing there praises.

May be worth a look is the kanati Trail Hog. From my understanding their a SEA copy of the carcass and come in at $100 cheaper if ya shop around ;)

http://www.kanatitires.com/products/tru ... h4icVLXfCQ

I've only had the Goodyear product though if ya do a little Google foo comparison ya can make up your own mind.

:D
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:07 pm

I have had a great run from their big brother the Goodyear mtr

I believe they have the compound right for Aussie conditions and for our weights/ vehicles

I got 100,000km out of my first set and on the same track again, only thing to stop this will be changing out to bigger
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby motoz on Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:00 pm

4wd26 wrote:I have had a great run from their big brother the Goodyear mtr

I believe they have the compound right for Aussie conditions and for our weights/ vehicles

Where I'm working in the N/W of WA Thiess are running them on all the site vehicles.

Considering they run at 40psi consistently on these BS Pilbra roads they're holding up a lot better than the ST MAXX and Hankooks I've seen on other contractor LV's.

I will always state though vigilance on pressure and rotation will reap the best outcome on what ever tire you purchase.
Also the fact that modded these vehicles are in the 2T category means don't drive them like race cars and thrash ya sticky rubber... lol
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Tyres & Wheels