Biggest offset on MN for steelies?

Need something to get you rolling?

Biggest offset on MN for steelies?

Postby boostmeister on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:45 am

Good morning all, at some stage I should really get to the introduction thread and introduce my self, however I have need for info pretty quickly. After doing a search I couldn't really nail the answer I was looking for.

Q. What is the biggest offset I can fit to a MN GLX-R and still have the tyres within/level with the guards?

I am about to buy some BFG M/T's and have decided to get some steel rims as well, problem is I have seen 2 distinc offsets used on tritons, the first has a nice amount of "dish" while the other has almost none and the center/hub area is almost level with the outside edge. I really want the more "dishier" version but am unsure as tot he offset.

I haven't decided whether I will buy the rims second hand or not, I intend to powdercoat them body colour so condition isn't a huge factor I just don't want to waste even a little money on used rims if the offset isn't what I am after. Hope someone can help.

Thanks, Cam.
boostmeister

Re: Biggest offset on MN for steelies?

Postby ag9111 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:54 am

Standard offset for the alloys is +38. A lot of guys run a +30 offset. I run a +15 offset and it could be argued either way that they are legal or not. 0 offset will require flares. All these are for 16 x 8 steelies

Have a look at this thread on page four for shots of my rims on the ute. Silver ute 1/3 way down page
I think my shed have some other shots of my ML with the same rims

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7783&start=75
Last edited by ag9111 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:56 am

+38 is standard.

anything less or negative will stick out that far from the guards. i.e +20 will stick out 18mm more from the guards

some guys run +20 and seem to be ok. dont forget if you run a wider tyre (from 245mm) then half that extra width is also running closer to the edge of the guard.

these are all applicable to the 7inch (7.5 on MN) rim on a GLX-R or model with the flares. base spec GLX run a narrower rim. not 100% sure on GLX offset. Must be 16inch diameter or larger. can't run 15 inch.

it is one of the unusual things about the triton and not many wheels are manufactured with such a large offset. Hummer the only oher one that springs to mind.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:58 am

mods. we gotta get a standard tyre question sticky going.

like "before you ask a tyre or wheel question - read this thread first". :D :D
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:59 am

really depends on what width tyre you are planning to run.

a 235 width tyre (32") can fit on a zero offset and remain in the flares

a 265 tyre (also 32") requires +15 to remain in the flares and provide dish. +30 offset no worries.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby boostmeister on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:45 am

Thanks heaps , yes I intend to run 265/75/16s so will look for some +15 rims, much appreciated.
boostmeister

Postby boostmeister on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks for the replies, seems everyone has sold out of 265/75/16 BFG muds in Bris so it's going to be a little while till I get them :(
boostmeister

Postby Pure Mongrel on Thu May 05, 2011 6:17 am

Sorry in advance for the noob questions:

1) When you say offset, are you referring to just a wider tyre or are you also referring to moving the rim outwards as well?

2) What are the advantages of doing this? (If there are any more reasons than having more rubber on the road / dirt I mean)

2A) Assuming that wider tyres are better for off road work, how do they effect on road handling and ride comfort?

3) This thread mentions 16", are there any differences for a 17" rim? (Assuming this offset can be done with the factory 17" rims that come on the GLX-R)

4) If new or larger flares are required, what type is best?

Thanks in advance.
"When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty!"
An adaption from an American Civil War statement that seems very apt for the way things are done these days! "When Tyranny Becomes Law, Rebellion Becomes Duty"
Pure Mongrel

Postby 4wd26 on Thu May 05, 2011 6:48 am

Pure Mongrel wrote:Sorry in advance for the noob questions:

1) When you say offset, are you referring to just a wider tyre or are you also referring to moving the rim outwards as well?
Offset refers to rim- smaller the number further out from the "hub centre" the rim protrudes- see comments above regarding different widths of tyres and offsets.

2) What are the advantages of doing this? (If there are any more reasons than having more rubber on the road / dirt I mean)
Generally accepted that as you raise the vehicle (tyre diameter) you should also increase the "stance" widen the rim offset so that the tyres move outward. Counteracts the raising of the centre of gravity raise- ruducing chance of rollover.
Note the govt has put restrictions on the amount you can widen the "track" to 15mm per side on a IFS vehicle

2A) Assuming that wider tyres are better for off road work, how do they effect on road handling and ride comfort?
Not sure I agree with this assumption- the increasing width that most get (increase from 245 to 265) is not really about the extra width but the height change that comes with that width.
The tyre size refers to an equation.
i.e 245/70/r17 the 70 refers to a ratio of the sidewall height as a function of the width (in this case 70% of 245)
so you can see that the same percentage applied to two different widths will give different sidewall heights.....

3) This thread mentions 16", are there any differences for a 17" rim? (Assuming this offset can be done with the factory 17" rims that come on the GLX-R)
not sure what you are asking

4) If new or larger flares are required, what type is best?
you will not require larger flares than the factory ones unless you are going for zero offset and 265 width tyres
You may need flares if you have a GLX that comes factory sans flares.

Thanks in advance.
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby Pure Mongrel on Thu May 05, 2011 7:09 am

Thanks for the response :)

Sorry for my confusion.

So the offset only refers to the size of the tyre and how far it protrudes past the rim centre? (If this is the case I can see why my 17" rim question was incorrect.)

I understand what you mean by width and height and thanks for that explanation. I had no idea that number was a %.
An adaption from an American Civil War statement that seems very apt for the way things are done these days! "When Tyranny Becomes Law, Rebellion Becomes Duty"
Pure Mongrel

Postby daryn on Thu May 05, 2011 7:15 am

The offset of a vehicle's wheel is the distance between the centerline of the wheel and the plane of the hub-mounting surface of the wheel. It can thus be either positive or negative, and is typically measured in millimeters. Offset has a significant effect on many elements of a vehicle's suspension, including suspension geometry, clearance between the tire and suspension elements, the scrub radius of the steering system, and visually, the width of the wheel faces relative to the car's bodywork.

Zero Offset - The plane of the hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive Offset - The plane of the hub mounting surface is shifted from the centerline toward the front or outside of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative Offset - The plane of the hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheel's centerline.
"Deep dish" wheels typically have negative offset or a very low positive offset.

To maintain handling characteristics and avoid undue loads on bushings and ball joints, the car manufacturer's original offset should be maintained when choosing new wheels unless there are overriding clearance issues.

Wheels are usually stamped with their offset using the German prefix "ET", meaning "Einpresstiefe" or, literally, "press depth". An example would be "ET45" for a 45mm offset.
Click to view larger picture

Calculating the offset of a wheel

First, measure the overall width of the wheel (remember, just because a wheel is 18x7.5, does not mean that the OVERALL width is 7.5”. It means that the measurement between the outboard flange and the inboard flange is 7.5”). Next, divide that width of the wheel by two; this will give you the centerline of the wheel.

Overall width/2 = Centerline

After determining the centerline, measure from the hub-mounting surface of the hub to the edge of the inboard flange (if the wheel were laying flat on the ground – face up – your measurement would be from the ground to the hub-mounting surface). This is your back spacing.

Back spacing - Centerline = Offset
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Pure Mongrel on Thu May 05, 2011 7:17 am

Great post! Many thanks :D
Pure Mongrel

Postby snowman on Thu May 05, 2011 7:59 am

great post Daz. Definately needs to go into a dedicated and referenced thread IMO.

on offsets i will add two additional comments.

a wider offset (in our case less positive) beyond the flare edge (as some guys here easily have) have some further advantage and disadvantage apart from legality and if they actually fit..

The tyres protruding the guard will spray the side of your car with bucket loads of mud and stuff. On the bright side the extra tyre width also helps protect the expensive metal bits from passing ruts and other obstacles. This is something that cannot be underestimated in its usefulness. 8-)

again, legality aside, the disadvantage is that the further the front rim goes out (less positive offset) the closer it moves towards the front and rear guard when on steering lock.

So what the best result is, is a wider track (legality aside) that does not rub on full left or right lock. Rears are not a problem - it is all about the fronts. At this point it seems a positive 20mm (down from +38 standard) is ok on a 8 inch rim running 265's in a 33 when lifted. I think this is possibly achieved with 32's as well with no lift. those of you running non-standard comments could add their comments here as i too am considering the biggest tyre and offset with a 2 inch lift without cutting anything metal at least. :o

This is not generic to the MN though - so a little off topic. Are there any differences between models? if not remove the MN reference and make this a wheel offset topic.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Thu May 05, 2011 8:24 am

Thanks Snowie,

But it was as simple as going to Google and typing the term "understanding wheel offset" and shebang is ya uncle.

Search is ya friend , but with this stuff, Google is ya best friend :D
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby ag9111 on Thu May 05, 2011 10:01 am

I run a +15 offset, 8" steel rim and 265/75/16's. No rubbing or binding
Last edited by ag9111 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu May 05, 2011 1:41 pm

^^^^so you already mentioned in the 2nd post of this thread 8-) :twisted:
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby ag9111 on Thu May 05, 2011 2:44 pm

:oops:

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Thommo3337 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:36 pm

Very good information this! I was just wondering how darryn has said that original offset should be maintained does that mean that even if a wider rim is installed say an 8 inch that is 25mm wider should the ofset be reduced by 12.5 mm ideally or would you stick with the +38 if guard clearance scrubbing is not an issue? Thanks
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Postby ag9111 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:20 am

No a +38 offset is a +38 offset. will just mean that you will have 12.5mm more rim on either side of where the original rim sat. If guard cleareance, caliper rubbing, is a an issue then changing the offset may be the only solution.
If you are going from 6" to 7" rims in anywhere near the original offset, then you will not have an issue. When you start with 8" rims and run -ve offsets, then you will start to see problems with binding rubbing etc

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:00 pm

I'm just double checking here - looking at getting a set of CSA Jackal rims but they only come in 16x8, with a 25 or 35 offset.

I'm running 245/75/16 tyres, currently on factory 16x7 alloys. Will I have any problems re rubbing or anything else by going to 8"? Tyre place seems to say it will be fine.

Also, should I go 25 or 35 offset? I wouldn't mind the extra width if it wasn't detrimental as I'm putting in the ultimate 2" lift pretty soon and thought slightly wider stance may be beneficial?
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Running those small tyres, you're certainly not going to have any issues with tyres scrubbing.

Only the guys running 33's may have issues when going 8" rims and close to a zero offset. ;)

Offset is purely up to you......there is only 10mm difference between those two wheels, neither here nor there really.....
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby odie602r on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks for that - should still be okay do you think if next set of tyres I went 265 and either 70 or 75?

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:48 pm

75's will be fine. Plenty of blokes running 265/75/16's

Std offset is 38 so either should be fine
biggibbo

Postby odie602r on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:11 pm

On an 8" rim I assume you mean? From what I understand you can't fit any wider tyres than 245's on a 7"

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:11 pm

I run 8" rims with 265/75/16 with an offset of +15 offset without rubbing touching etc.

Nearly all 265 tyres can be mounted on a 7" rim. 285's require an 8" rim.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Tyres & Wheels