GLX-R 245/65r/17 tyres

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: GLX-R 245/65r/17 tyres

Postby Ent on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:09 pm

Http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-sel ... re-details

This is the sort of information you need to check out. It gives load/speed ratings along with rim widths. Most tyre manufacturers give you this. I consider this information authoritive.

It is rather amazing how after a long debate on a tyre wear rate between posters it gradually emerges that one is running the HT highway tyre carcass and the other LT light truck carcass. Toyo, Goodyear, etc run different construction within the same range. BFGoodrich used to get slammed in the USA for having some of their KO ATs snow rated and others not. They standardised with the new K02 version to all be snow rated. So buyer be informed.

And on rims! Never have I been told so much boy bovine byproduct. I have seen so many illegal and ill advised fits to make me shudder. Finally, I found a brochure that recommended that their rim load rating be selected to match the tyre. Just about every rim being sold to me was under the standard tyre's load rating.

You then have the law on tyre diameter that varies between state and if ESC is fitted or not. General rule for non ESC equipped vehicle is no more than 50mm increase in diameter without certification. ESC equipped vehicles need a lawyer to figure out each State's rules with safest been no change.

Just a case of needing to research. When a friend turns up with a new AT tyre claiming extreme strength and you see it is a HT you know that they have been conned but often best to keep the peace and smile and nod.
Ent

Postby mad992 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:15 am

I have decided to go with Dynapro Atm Rf10 in size 265/65/17

Jax Tyres $210 ea as this size is a popular (cheaper) size that is readily available unlike 245/65/17

and the silly rules for tyre/rim combo are a minefield to work out :|
mad992

Postby The Captain on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:22 pm

I have these tyres in the 265/70/17. Have found them to be quite good tyre on road. Haven't done much off road. I think I will go the 65 profile next time as fuel economy has suffered from the standard tyre. I have '09 ML GLXR
The Captain

Postby melba on Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:41 pm

The Captain wrote:I have these tyres in the 265/70/17. Have found them to be quite good tyre on road. Haven't done much off road. I think I will go the 65 profile next time as fuel economy has suffered from the standard tyre. I have '09 ML GLXR

I run the same 265/70/17 bg goodrich AT and suffered fuel economy probably an extra 1 litre pwr hundred maybe more (mn auto). But they look great and feel the gaurds in and u gain a little (very little) in height.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
melba

Postby diver albie on Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:20 pm

The Captain wrote:I have these tyres in the 265/70/17. Have found them to be quite good tyre on road. Haven't done much off road. I think I will go the 65 profile next time as fuel economy has suffered from the standard tyre. I have '09 ML GLXR

Challenge there is 65's legally need to be on 7.5" rims and ML is 7". Oddly 70's are perfectly legal on 7" rims. I know this for a fact as I've just been then process
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Previous

Return to Tyres & Wheels