Do your steelies vibrate ?? HELP

Need something to get you rolling?

Postby boostmeister on Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Ok, fairly dissapointing start to the modifying of my MN.

I finally tracked down some 265/75/16 BFG mud KM2's from TYRE SHOP A.
They also supplied me with some black 16x7 steelies from ROH.....all good so far.

I forgot/they didn't supply wheel nuts so when I fitted them ( they fitted/balanced but I installed them as I was originally going to wait for suspension but got impatient) I had to use the nuts from the alloys.

I went back to SHOP A on Easter Sat but were closed.

Found SHOP B and went to buy some correct nuts

SHOP B told me the wheels I had bought were not the correct fitment as there was a 20mm approx space around the hub center cap and it needs to be a snug fit, SHOP B told me that the wheels that had been supplied were for manual locking hub 4wd's and I needed a different set OR I will experience bad vibration at highway speed.

SHOP B told me they could get the correct wheels ( actuall Procomp D hole versions which I preferred ) I ordered them

Went back to SHOP A and told them off for selling me the wrong and potentially dangerous wheels, they told me they hadn't heard of that issue before but happily gave me back my money and stripped off the tyres for me to take to SHOP B.

Went to SHOP B and dropped off the tyres for when the wheels arrived today (Thurs) later today I got a call to say that the wheels he said would fit WONT as they will hit the brakes caliper and that the only steel wheels that will fit are the ones I originally had BUT he still thinks will cause vibration!!! SO I need to buy alloys...

SO, my question to all of you with steel wheels like sunraisures etc is

Q1, Do yours have the above mentioned gap in the middle?
Q2, Do you get vibrations on the highway??

This is so annoying.

Thanks Cam
boostmeister

Re: Do your steelies vibrate ?? HELP

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:42 pm

boostmeister wrote:SO, my question to all of you with steel wheels like sunraisures etc is

Q1, Do yours have the above mentioned gap in the middle? yes
Q2, Do you get vibrations on the highway?? yes

This is so annoying.

Thanks Cam

I have BFG km2 265/70 R16 on dynamic steel rims and they vibrate at 100-110km/h
I think you'll find it's the tyres not rims causing the issue (I've heard the BFG's are hard to balance :? )

Click to view larger picture
See my build thread ... HERE
See my shed ............. HERE
SEJ GLX-R

Postby ag9111 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:02 pm

boostmeister wrote:SO, my question to all of you with steel wheels like sunraisures etc is

Q1, Do yours have the above mentioned gap in the middle? Yes
Q2, Do you get vibrations on the highway?? Yes

Steel wheels are stud centric not hub centric so it doesnt matter what size the centre hole is. This also means that they cannot be properly balanced on a machine that uses the centre hole as the securing point. They need to be finger balanced on a special machine. This will give you a proper balance and no vibrarion. I have only learnt about this and have not had mine balanced yet. Truck tyre suppliers usually have finger balancing equipment
I think it was Joe or 4WD26 posted this up so not entirely sure if its 100% correct but when I get the time I will be getting mine balanced this way.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:10 pm

As the other guys said, steel wheels are not hubcentric and only rely on the wheel studs to fit onto. They are a one size fits all wheel for all 4wd's ;)

You will find most 4wd alloys are the same.......not many aftermarket companies are going to dick around making everyone of their wheels for every different vehicles hub size.........would be a nightmare :?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby ag9111 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:18 pm

Alloys are supposed to have hub centering rims fitted though
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joe on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:22 pm

I had the same problem Cam and it annoyed the crap out of me too. This is how I fixed it :mrgreen:

Get the tyre place to do a finger balance instead of a centre balance. They hate doing it because it is a PITA, but it will make a difference. Steel wheels are not made to run be run hub-centric but lug-centric so they should be balanced on the lugs, not on the centre.

Once you are back at home after the balance has been done jack up each wheel loosen it off and then re-tighten using this method:-
  • Hand tighten the first nut making sure it is at the top.
  • Spin the wheel so that the bottom nut is now at the top and hand tighten.
  • Keep going around like this always making sure that the one you are tightening is at the top.
  • Progressively tighten up the nuts again making sure that the one you are tightening is at the top.

When I first had my sunnies on I had a wobble at about 90kph and since I used the above method I no longer have any vibration at all at any speed.

Read >HERE< for hub-centric discussion.

Factory alloys are hub-centric, but after market ones are not. I personally think it makes no difference and have been running non-gen alloys on an NP Paj for 7 years without any problems.
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby al coholic on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

ag9111 wrote:Alloys are supposed to have hub centering rims fitted though

Yeah i realise there was info posted by Boycee after the incident with Blue's old man ;)

I was worried for a while after just laying out some coin on new alloy mags.... :roll: I rang King wheels (my wheels) and they told me exactly what i posted above, that all 4wd wheels are a one size fits all application....I didnt believe him so got in contact with the big boss and he told me the same thing. ;) I spoke to another well known wheel manufacturer and my tyre fitters at tyrepower as well and they all said the same thing. The insurance company is fine with it after notifying them of the aftermarket mags, size and type.........so as far as im concerned, no issues there :)

I have never had a problem (touch wood) and they always balance up really well, and no vibration at 110km or more :D (On private roads of course) :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Kegsy on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:09 pm

For Sydney guys with steelies, go and see Spinning Wheel Tyres. Corner of Bourke St and McEvoy in Alexandria I think...

They have "on car balancing" by request. They balance the wheel for each individual axle and position. This is the best wheel balance you can get.

It takes a little while longer, but the end result is perfect providing you put that wheel on that axle every time. When you rotate the wheels the balance must be redone.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:15 pm

I had a vibration issue, which was giving me grief over 100kmh. Mostly solved now with a performance balance ( they balance to the gram instead of the closest 10 grams). Still not 100%, but much better. The added weight of the bigger tyres, steel rims and the big lugs is never going to ride as smooth as a std highway tyre on an alloy rim, but thems the breaks to go offroad.
biggibbo

Postby boostmeister on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks so much guys for the responses, I feel much more confident now when dealing with "SHOP B" tomorrow....
boostmeister

Postby fridgie on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Mine vibrated like the preverbial......then I cleaned the mud out of them :lol: :lol: :oops:

//edit- I have ROH steelies ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Steering wheel shaking like crazy!

Postby Zokii-10 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:00 am

Hi Guy's,

Just replaced the wheels on my 2013 Triton GLX R MN and went from 245/65/R17 to 265/75/R16 Mickey Thompson with the Sunraysia Dynamic Wheels, having done this i noticed i got a lot of shudder in the steering wheel and the whole cabin feels really shaky. I have been back to the tyre place and they even had my Triton there for a couple of hours to try see what was wrong with it and they even tried putting new wheels on (thinking it might have been something with the other wheels, Manufacturing fault) however that was not the case. They tried re-balancing the tyres and done a wheel alignment also but it still does not seem to fix the problem. The wheels are centred for the lock nuts so the guy says. I am really trying to figure out this problem as it is very annoying driving it in this manner. So any help will be much appreciated guy's i am quite desperate.

I have tried to do extensive research on this topic however i wasn't very successful so i figured I'm probably better of just posting and seeing what kind of suggestions people come up with.

Thanks in advance guys :)
Zokii-10

Postby Naff on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:12 am

Do a quick search on "finger balance" and have a read of those posts. ;)
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:13 am

Post moved.

Zokii, welcome to the forum. I found this thread with the following search, using the keywords "steel wheels balance".

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/search.php?keywords=steel+wheels+balance&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Have a read through the thread and through the links in the search, above.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:16 am

I have seen products like this recommended. http://www.abcbeads.com.au/
L200Shogun

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:00 am

All good if you have the wheel centred on the hub. Probably won't help much if not.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:15 am

I don't understand why anyone would buy cheap steel rims.

Good quality steel rims, with correct nuts and installed correctly should be centered.

Research suggests (here and elsewhere) that steel rims don't need hubcentric locating rings and many (all?) don't have the recess for them anyway.
L200Shogun

Postby JohnC-08 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:40 pm

MN 2012.
Have the steel rims which are not hub centric.
Rim and tyre freshly balanced, but did have a vibration problem.
Found with a bit more care doing up the nuts, all OK.
Do them finger tight all round first to centre the rim, then tighten.
Rotate the rim as you go.
If I just do one nut up tight first, and work my way around, can have vibration.
JohnC-08

Postby kouta666 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:36 pm

JohnC-08 wrote:If I just do one nut up tight first, and work my way around, can have vibration.

Surely no-one does this? :lol:
kouta666

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:12 pm

Its amazing what you can leave a tyre joint with.

Steel rims are easily distorted if the nuts aren't sequenced correctly. With past cars I'd watch em balance the wheels nearly perfect balance, then getting out on the highway and up to speed and the vibrations started.

After redoing the nuts the problem went away. I'd recommend get the hands out a your pockets and redo the wheel nuts. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby msrlo on Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:23 pm

never had an issue with the steel rims with different 265 muddies but my new alloys with bfg km2 vibrated badly, got a wheel alignment and rebalance of the tyres where the tyres came off and spun on the rims and been good since
msrlo

Postby abaser666 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Just picked up second hand set of 17x8 dynamic sunnies, 0 offset running 265/70.

Vibration was out of control at 90km/h let alone 100!

Took them to Bridgestone select in leederville (Perth) who stripped off all the old weights and finger balanced them to absolute perfection, all for 10 bucks a wheel.

Highly recommended.
abaser666

Postby 98kellrs on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:20 pm

abaser666 wrote:Just picked up second hand set of 17x8 dynamic sunnies, 0 offset running 265/70.

Vibration was out of control at 90km/h let alone 100!

Took them to Bridgestone select in leederville (Perth) who stripped off all the old weights and finger balanced them to absolute perfection, all for 10 bucks a wheel.

Highly recommended.

Cheers for that mate, I'm wanting to get mine rebalanced and wasn't sure where to go in Perth.
98kellrs

Return to Tyres & Wheels