WIP Wheel offset bible

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: REKON Suspension featuring Adjustable Height Front Coilo

Postby Trough Lolly on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:21 pm

Monster Rides wrote:
travr wrote:Dam wish I had the ability to tweak the original struts that Steve put on mine as like you say the coil has dropped a bit. Will defiantly replace the fronts when I get some cash spare maybe after chrissy. Good to see this gear up and going still really happy with the original stuff put on my car just wish I could tweak it up slightly.
Travis

Trav,

Good to hear the Rekon gear is still working out nicely for you... give us a shout when you are ready and we will look after you with a upgrade on the front coilovers.

c-dale wrote:Went for a run up Cooloola way, freshwater track and down the beach today. Had the ReKon gear installed on Thurs/Fri so was the first decent trip on them. Bugger me its good!! The 4x4ing is pretty easy but Cooloola way has some decent corrogations and bumps. Handled everything beautifully, so much more control. Super keen to test them out on some proper tracks now, need to get out to Glasshouse ;)

Front struts are currently on the lowest height setting so have HEAPS of room to move up higher :D

Justin,

Done many more miles this week? Any harder tracks?
I'm looking forward to some action shots and war stories... how much lift as you running at the moment?

Another client George sent these images across while on his trip up to Fraser... This Triton is looking really nice with a great stance... Running about 80mm of lift up front at the moment.

Click to view larger picture

any reason as to why you fitted the incorrect offset wheels to the vehicle??
this would put alot more stress on the hub bearings and nuts.. not to mention unroadworthy in VIC
Trough Lolly

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:33 pm

different offset rims should not be illegal if within limits (used to be widening track by 25mm and some states this is still the case) but many states now allow 50mm increase to track.

not going into the hub bearing issues, as even steel rims, heavier construction tyres increase stresses..... ;)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:36 pm

I think what he's getting at is that the tyres are noticeably outside the flares - which would be defect-able in NSW too.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby George Kyro on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Hey jolly,

I fitted these wheels and tyres as they came straight off my old 94 model mj triton.

Considering i paid 1200 for the rims and tyres i wasnt prepared to get rid of them as they had 85% tread on them and i was 1 week shy of heading away up to fraser island at the time so thats why i did it.

They served there purpose well on the old girl but shes not with us anymore as she drowned up there.

The new (replacement triton) got 33's with a zero offset which are in fact legal but to be honest with you IMO unless you're going a REALLY massive lift or something that looks completely insane you're not really going to have a problem when it comes to insurance companies paying you out when push comes to shove.

This vehicle was over 2 inches and had an offset that stuck out like a bulldogs nuts and still got fully covered for the vehicle and no body kicked up a fuss.

I must admit i do notice that when people write up threads showing there cars there seem to be a lot of people who seem to write things like thats not legal blah blah blah.
I do know that for some people that is a HUGE thing, but to others (like myself) its not.

Like i said the new ones offset is legal now so its not a big deal but my suspension is currently sitting at 3 inches and i really cant see a police officer pulling me over saying "sorry sir but your vehicle seems to be 1 inch higher than the legal limit) and to back this up insurance wise i have also had the old girl with an offset that was wrong and higher than 2 inches and had her completely replaced so to me its not a problem.

I understand that some people are different but i came from a drift car background and used to drive t on the street the same way it was used on the track so these days if my only illegal issue is that i currently drive a vehicle that is lifted 1 inch higher than legal I'm not going to be too fussed about it.

Any way completely off topic but as i said , if you want to keep it legal by all means this suspension system allows you to lift it to a true 2 inch even once you've added bar work, winch etc and drives just as well on road as it does off so 2 thumbs up from me
:D :) ;)
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

Postby George Kyro on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Very true Dave, I do miss that car though, I'd love to have them sticking out that much as i think they look a heap better when they stick out a bit like they do in the states :D :) ;)
George Kyro

Postby Tony on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:01 pm

You wouldn't last long around where I live with that out look. :lol: :lol:

I now have only 50mm lift and +10 offset with 265/75/16 (is right on the edge of flares) and got a warning from two highway patrols in Lithgow last Saturday. :shock: I believe they are hammering 4X4's on NSW ATM.

BTW, was doing nothing stupid (Yes unusual for me) as had a big arse angle load horse float behind me at the time.

I told them they were my off road tyres and normally take them off before running on the highway. :oops: which I will.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby George Kyro on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Yeah sounds like the Po Po will point out anything just to write you out a ticket these days.

I've done the drive across to Dubbo from Sydney through lithgow and then down from dubbo to melbourne not too long ago so i must be lucky :D

Then again my offset is legal now so they cant really pin for it anymore :lol: :lol:

Ps Nice area by the way :D
George Kyro

Postby gaspode on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Tony wrote:You wouldn't last long around where I live with that out look. :lol: :lol:

I now have only 50mm lift and +10 offset with 265/75/16 (is right on the edge of flares) and got a warning from two highway patrols in Lithgow last Saturday. :shock: I believe they are hammering 4X4's on NSW ATM.

BTW, was doing nothing stupid (Yes unusual for me) as had a big arse angle load horse float behind me at the time.

I told them they were my off road tyres and normally take them off before running on the highway. :oops: which I will.

Lithgow HWP are always a bit picky. After all, they have to live in Lithgow :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is the best bad idea I have
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:37 pm

I don't comprehend how zero offset is legal?
I have a set of zero's and while looking 8-) they certainly aren't legal.... :?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby George Kyro on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Well My tyre shop said that when they fitted mine they didnt want to go over zero as it would have stuck out past the guards etc, when i looked at it there i said that they did stick out a bit and he said to me that it is measured from the tread not the side wall?????

Any one know what he meant?

Anyway I've had many police driving behind me and no problem . :D
George Kyro

Postby Homer on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Just lucky mate, I believe the tyre shop guy has led you astray...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Tony on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:28 pm

It's like this, + 20 with certain oversize tyres are well with in limits. +10 is on the limit. 0 is not in the eyes of most legal enforcements.
Just saying as I dont want to see people running zero offsets and getting pinned in the future.

Said my bit.......................................................................................................................

Now back to the original topic of adjustable coilovers. :oops: 8-)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fridgie on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Tony wrote:It's like this, + 20 with certain oversize tyres are well with in limits. +10 is on the limit. 0 is not in the eyes of most legal enforcements.
Just saying as I dont want to see people running zero offsets and getting pinned in the future.

Said my bit.......................................................................................................................

Now back to the original topic of adjustable coilovers. :oops: 8-)

Agree...... technically, a +25 offset is the furthest we can take it (in qld anyway) as that will increase the track by 26mm (25mm is the legal limit track increase) anything outside that is illegal.

But enough of this in this thread, back to the topic :oops:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Re: WIP Wheel offset bible

Postby DocBassett on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Hey guys, recently been doing some thinking about my spare wheel- its a steel rim with a different offset to my alloys. From memory its a 20+ and my alloys are 25+. Is this going to be a problem? Also slightly unrelated but may as well ask here, im guessing ill need to carry differwnt wheel nuts for the spare being a steely? Cheers.
DocBassett

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:26 pm

different offset won't be a problem if they fit and the tyre is the same size (diameter)

defiantly need appropriate wheel nuts to suit the rims
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby DocBassett on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:50 pm

Cheers 4wd26. Yeah the wheel fits. Just. Ive got some spare wheel nuts in the shed that ill throw in the toolbox. Thanks mate
DocBassett

Postby rosscomatic on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi 4wd26

Not sure if it's been mentioned earlier in this thread already, but the PB/PC Challenger (2010 on) has a slightly different rim from the Triton's in your first post... Not sure if you want to include this info too maybe? They should all still be swap-able though I guess.

The original PB Challenger (2010 on) has a 17" x 7.5" +38 rim.

The current model PC Challenger has 2 options
Base model has a 16" x 7" (+38 I assume)
LS model has 17" x 7.5" (+38 I assume)

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/veh ... ifications

Ross
Mitsubishi PB Challenger
And a website for 4wd enthusiasts - http://www.offroadaussie.com
rosscomatic

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:26 pm

^^^^^ Thanks updated first post ;)
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:22 am

Ive got these
Click to view larger picture

16x8 0 offset. They stick out past the stock flares about 3/4 inch at the front and an inch at the rear.
I love the look, almost wish they stuck out a little futher.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Shrek on Sat May 10, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi

Not sure if I should post this question here
Type every combination in the search with no luck

I just upgraded to steel rims... Just realised the spare wheel wind up thing
Is to small for the bigger hole in the new rim... Has anyone had this problem and found a fix
Shrek

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat May 10, 2014 12:44 pm

Yeah a few have had metal discs machined up to fill the gap. I used an alloy wheel spacer from an auto parts place. That or I gather the winder from the earlier model (MK?) might fit.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Amaroo on Sat May 10, 2014 12:47 pm

Dave beat me to it.

There was a photo on here somewhere a week or two ago of an adaptor a guy had made out of steel plate for the issue you describe. Basically it acts as a reducer for the larger centre hole on the new wheel so you can use the spare wheel holder.

It's easy to get made though, inside diameter of hole in the adaptor is the same as your old wheel, outside diameter of adaptor is large enough to sit on the mounting face of the new wheel.
Amaroo

Postby Shrek on Sat May 10, 2014 12:56 pm

Just happens I have a pair of wheel spacers... Didn't think of that
There is a older model triton at pick and Payless down the road .. Might go for a drive for a look
Have get the kids under there with some spanners.. I'm still in a sling
Shrek

Postby mrtuaniiex on Sat May 24, 2014 9:06 pm

Hey team, sorry if this has been asked before.

So I've gotten my head around with offset and everything but i have a question about borehole for rims

I've read the first post in this thread and correct me if im wrong but i can get any wheel with whichever borehole because the triton is lug-centric and doesnt need hub and borehole to match?

Cheers
mrtuaniiex

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat May 24, 2014 9:10 pm

No. The Triton is hub-centric, not lug-centric. However, the centre bore hole can be any size, so long as it's bigger the the borehole. You must then fit adaptors which match the wheel hole and the hub.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels