Random tyre questions

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Random tyre questions

Postby Maxiy on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:24 pm

I've got a vibration in my steering wheel from 80+ apparently it's a common occurrence in vehicles with disc fronts and drum rears. Apparently means the breaks need to be shimmed, might be the same issue ?

I used to think this also, and i tried getting rid of it by getting balances and alignments etc done, it never went away, so i just lived with it thinking it was just a triton characteristic.

Well i can tell you, its not :lol:, i got my suspension done last week by ultimate in SYD and i can confirm that all wobble and play in the steering has disappeared. Could not be happier
Maxiy

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:56 pm

Two things not to skimp on - tyres & brakes.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Tyre Survey

Postby colin b on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:07 pm

GLX11R wrote:Hi guys has anyone used/using the Hankook AT-M RF10. Thinking of running 265/65/17r on my standard MN GLXR 2011 model.
What is your feedback on these? There is a special on atm $235.00 each buy 3 get one free.

Probably a bit late to the party but I recently took advantage of this offer at my local Bob Jane store and got three tyres plus alignment and balance for around $760. First impressions are they heaps quieter on the road than the Bridgestones they replaced and when I pushed the car hard into a corner they held on well. I do mainly caravan towing with my Triton so a highway tyre is just fine.

Only drawback I could see was that I will have to remember to keep my speed under 190km/h :lol:
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:24 pm

With our lousy roads and 'nanny' over site, I don't think you'll have to worry about exceeding any tyre speed ratings Colin. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:26 pm

[quote I've got a vibration in my steering wheel from 80+ apparently it's a common occurrence in vehicles with disc fronts and drum rears. Apparently means the breaks need to be shimmed, might be the same issue ?[/quote]

Please Do Tell, Who told you this rubbish ??? :shock: , If this was true nearly every second car, ute,
99,9% of 4x4s would have a vibration, your (80kph plus) vibration points to a front wheel balance problem, Don't keep taking it back to the same place to have them rebalance it, if they cant balance it right the First time, they sure as shit wont do it by taking it back again & again
WUNSIE

Postby colin b on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:44 pm

I had a mysterious shimmy on the steering of one of my early Falcons and after a couple of attempts to fix it via wheel alignment and balancing the garage finally discovered that one front tyre was not a perfect circle. That one went into the boot as a spare and the problem was solved.
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby Merts on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Jason91 wrote:
I've got a vibration in my steering wheel from 80+ apparently it's a common occurrence in vehicles with disc fronts and drum rears. Apparently means the breaks need to be shimmed, might be the same issue ?

Whoever told you that is an idiot.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Geralt of Rivia on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:00 pm

To add to this topic, so new to this. So please forgive for the silly question.

I have a GLX 2013 MN Triton and the spare rim is a steel rim.
Question i have is, can you have Mitsubishi Mag/Rim as your spare? will it fit under the tub?

I wanted a 1 for 1 swap, not a different rim. Is this possbile?
Geralt of Rivia

Postby Merts on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Geralt of Rivia wrote:I have a GLX 2013 MN Triton and the spare rim is a steel rim.
Question i have is, can you have Mitsubishi Mag/Rim as your spare? will it fit under the tub?

Yes.

Some models have alloy spares, so one will definitely fit.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Geralt of Rivia on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Merts wrote:
Geralt of Rivia wrote:I have a GLX 2013 MN Triton and the spare rim is a steel rim.

Yes.

Some models have alloy spares, so one will definitely fit.
Thanks for the reply Merts.
I like to have 1 for 1, what comes off is the same that goes back on.

I wasn’t keen on the alloy spare and wanted Mag/Rim that’s already on the car now to be the spare.

Thank you for the help.
Geralt of Rivia

Postby jman on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:03 pm

My GLXR is now due for some decent ATs after 90k on original HT hoops. Although I have pretty much decided on brand, I am not sure whether to go to 265/65/17 or to stay with original width of 245 but bump up the profile to 70? Pretty sure the rolling diameter will be same in both tyres above.

Stock ute that does a mix of hwy and farm work in vic. Pros and cons welcome.

Thanks for replies in advance.
Cheers- Jman
jman

Postby Qdogg on Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Due for new tyres soon, anyone recommend a shop on the nth side of Brissie for a good deal?
I’ll be looking at 4 x steel rims with 265/75/16 muddies (or there abouts).
Qdogg

Re: Sandpit - practise posting

Postby MrCarpet on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:55 am

Hello all, I’m trying a test post to find the info I need.
I’ve been searching here for 2 days and can’t find an easy, straight up answer to my question. I have a 07 ML triton, measured my alloys at 8” x R16. Can I put a 265/75/R16 A/T on without modification?? It’s still standard suspension.. cheers
MrCarpet

Postby jman on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:34 pm

No love here. Gone through all the related posts here and on other forums. WOW. Will be going with Bridgy 697 AT in 265/70/17 on standard suspension. Got over 90k on standard HT tyres, they must be a hard compound. I get people are busy, but thanks for the fresh air over the last week! No love so back to lurking very occasionally! I'm goin' fishing!
Cheers- Jman
jman

Postby Maxiy on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:08 pm

MrCarpet wrote:Hello all, I’m trying a test post to find the info I need.
I’ve been searching here for 2 days and can’t find an easy, straight up answer to my question. I have a 07 ML triton, measured my alloys at 8” x R16. Can I put a 265/75/R16 A/T on without modification?? It’s still standard suspension.. cheers
I have 265, 75, 16 on standard 7inch rims. They will fit on stock suspension, though will rub a little on full flex. No problems with rubbing on full lock.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Maxiy

Postby Maxiy on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:11 pm

jman wrote:No love here. Gone through all the related posts here and on other forums. WOW. Will be going with Bridgy 697 AT in 265/70/17 on standard suspension. Got over 90k on standard HT tyres, they must be a hard compound. I get people are busy, but thanks for the fresh air over the last week! No love so back to lurking very occasionally! I'm goin' fishing!
Sometimes posts don't pop up in everyone's feed. Only just saw this in mine.
265/70/16 worked fine on my stock suspension, I now have 265/75/16 which I think is the same as the 70/17. No problemo so far. A slight bit of rubbing on full flex, (and I'm talking really stretched out) but nothing around town.

Maxiy

Postby jman on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:58 pm

Thanks Maxiy for your reply and good info. Feelin the love again!
And I even caught a few fish too. Need order those ATs now.
Cheers- Jman
jman

Postby Kell on Sun May 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Earlyninja wrote:I know that any increase above 15mm is illegal in qld but has anyone heard anything about people getting the 'unroadworthy' tag for bigger rubbers eg 265/75/r16 during the registration renewal safety inspection? ?
There's a 'wheels and tyres' inspection check and I'm wondering if they compare it to the tyre placard to decide whether to put a pass or fail. Or is it just a tread depth and wear rate check? :?
Search didn't spew out many results... :(

I got done but I was running 37s on my jk (turns out your not allowed to run 37s on any smaller than a MR truck in QLD) serves me right I shouldn’t have left them on for the school run any way
Kell

AT’s for MN GLXR

Postby Gnomeo on Mon May 28, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi guys,

I’ve just taken delivery of a (new to me) 2015 GLXR which desperately needs new tyres.

I was wanting something AT. Use is daily commuting but we bought t to tow our soft floor camper and some light-moderate 4x4ing. I (read: my wife) want to keep the standard the standard GLXR rims, which limits me to r17.

I was leaning towards the BFG KO2’s, but have heard they get relatively low km’s compared to competitors.

I’ve done a bit of reading but being new to 4x4’s, it’s a bit much to try and navigate.

What tyre and sizes do you recommend? Standard GLXR...

Thanks,
Gnomeo

Postby right on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:49 pm

whats the biggest tyre you can fir on Triton MN GLXR Warrior with 40mm lift to 17'' inch factory rim. Looking for good all terrain. I know can fit 265/70/R17 with ease but looking a tyre with.../80/R17 any suggestions. Thank you
right

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:18 am

Right, please don't crosspost. I've removed your other thread.

Of course this question has been asked many times. Have a look in the Forum Directory in the Tyres section for the Index thread.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

New Tyres

Postby MrCozy on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Anybody looking to replace their tyres soon? I seriously recommend you check out tyroola online! Got a quote from Bob Jane, was $321 ea for new new Bridgestone Duellers 693 III, plus fitting...wound up getting for $153ea plus $26 ea fitted...less than half the cost. I prefer to buy from retail businesses...support local businesses...but at half the cost, thats not one price I could not pass up.
MrCozy

Postby MrCozy on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Maxiy wrote:
MrCarpet wrote:Hello all, I’m trying a test post to find the info I need.
I have 265, 75, 16 on standard 7inch rims. They will fit on stock suspension, though will rub a little on full flex. No problems with rubbing on full lock.

I’m running 265/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler 693 lll’s on my 09 ml standard suspension and not had any issues.. other than a nail ruining one of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrCozy

Postby CharlieH11 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:56 pm

I know this is the wrong section but was the closest I could find. Does anyone know where the jack on the MN Triton is? or does it not come with one? purchased a ute last week and can't find the jack...

thanks.
CharlieH11

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:21 am

Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels