Random tyre questions

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Random tyre questions

Postby daryn on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Where at Gibbo, my MTZ's are crap and I dont have the time to experiment, I want it done right first time.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Joe on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:38 pm

elmpty wrote:Hi guys,
Im very new to the forum, and to tritons for that matter.
Ive had my mn glx for 4 months now.
I bought new and had the dealer fit 245/75/16 cooper stt's (m/t) to sunraysra rims. Ive done 10,000km and have had constant troubles including pulling left and bad 'wobbles' over 80km/h. I've had countless balances and rotations with varied success, the rims seem to spin true and alignment readings spot on.
Its even baffling the tyre people I'm hassling to find an answer. I've put the stockies back on and the wobble dissapears so it must be the tyres.
These tyres are supposed to be one of the best on the market, and looking at the 'tyre comparo' on this forum others have the same tyre - albeit a different size - and love 'em.
can anyone shed light?

By the way...... I love the triton otherwise!!

Have a read of >THIS< elmpty :mrgreen:
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby biggibbo on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Jax at Thornleigh. They charge a little more for a performance balance ($12 per wheel I think)

Most decent tyre mobs should be able to do a performance balance. They usually only do them high end cars with exxy tyres, but it seems heavy tyres on sunraysia rims need special treatment as well.

Do ya self a favour, put your HT's on your sunnies, and your muddies on your alloys. The weight also plays a huge factor in the dreaded wobble.
biggibbo

Postby Joe on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:47 pm

biggibbo wrote:Do ya self a favour, put your HT's on your sunnies, and your muddies on your alloys. The weight also plays a huge factor in the dreaded wobble.

I bet this wouldn't have stayed up if it was my alloy. And the rim would have shattered :?
Click to view larger picture
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby daryn on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:48 pm

biggibbo wrote:...Do ya self a favour, but your HT's on your sunnies, and your muddies on your alloys. The weight also plays a huge factor in the dreaded wobble.

no way, that would be dickie for me, my sunnies are 8" wide (I think) and I keep wrecking my alloys off road, I also like the wider footprint off road.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:48 pm

LOL @ gibbo and Joe
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:02 am

Joe wrote:
biggibbo wrote:Do ya self a favour, put your HT's on your sunnies, and your muddies on your alloys. The weight also plays a huge factor in the dreaded wobble.

I bet this wouldn't have stayed up if it was my alloy. And the rim would have shattered :?
Click to view larger picture

you seem so confident the alloy would have smashed....i am not as convinced.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:51 am

After seeing Joe's wheel that day I am backing away from the thoughts I had of changing to alloys for my off road rims.

The sunny's are heavy biatches and a pain to change and balance, but I don't know if the alloys would have stood up to that hit - maybe - maybe not but I've busted one in a pothole before so not willing to risk it.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Steane on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:04 am

Can have quite a bit to do with how well you fit the steelies as well. Joe explained somewhere how best to do it, by rotating the wheel and tightening the nut that is at the top, and working your way around tightening opposite sides as you go.

I had steering wheel wobble the first time I fitted mine (dynamic steelies with MTZs) and after taking Joe's advice the wobble is non existent. Nothing else has been changed. Mine weren't finger balanced either and there are no signs of any balancing issues.

The steelies don't go on perfectly without taking a bit of care it seems.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:07 am

you get second hand alloys for the same price (or cheaper) than sunnies.

nearly 5kg weight saving per wheel- and this weight has to be dealt with by the suspension.

Happy with alloys for my offroad rims- and remember that you busted a bead on the steels following me.

Also matters with the width of the rim you buy- we all seem keen to get 8" rims in case we want to move to wide 33" tyres- but there is some benifit to staying at the manufactures recomended width rim for the tyre width.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Homer on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:34 am

It wasn't the bead busting incident I was talking about mate - and I fell off the ledge into a pretty decent rut that you were already driving in so wasn't the same.
Not saying the rim would have been damaged then as it was mainly clay. There was no sign of damage on the steel rim so I would assume an alloy wouldn't have broken then?

It was breaking a rear alloy on a pot hole a few years ago at 110+. If it was a front I don't know how it would have ended.

I was dead set keen on alloys as I know how much just that little bit extra weight affects my acceleration and particularly my braking...just not so sure now...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:50 pm

are the alloys more springy? Is springy even a word?

What I am getting at here is whether in the case of Joe's steel rim above, would an alloy have bounced back or would it have snapped? I assume it can't bend the same was as a steelie would.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Homer on Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:04 pm

I'm thinking it would gouge a bit but don't know about flex.
It's a relatively brittle type of material (not really the right word either) - not as flexible as steel generally and definitely more prone to snapping.

It is extremely strong for it's weight though...

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby tezza08 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:24 pm

Mooons wrote:At what stage would side wall damage be a throw away option
I found a nick / slash in one of my maxxis bighorns about 10 to 15 mm long and about 3 mm deep no ply is showing (still plenty of tread left)
Hope to be able to use as a spare
What are your thoughts ?

i burnt a groove about 30mm wide and 3mm deep the whole way around one of my 33" BFGmuddies on a old hilux years ago, i just ran it on the back left and got another 25k out of it. Probobly not the right thing to do but funds were tight, so it can be done ;)
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional! :twisted:
tezza08

Random tyre questions

Postby fridgie on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:40 pm

I have a similar sized one on my d694. Took it to bridgestone and the guy said not to worry about it :?

That was my second NTN trip so they have now been through about 30,000km and still no issue with it
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby woz on Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:00 pm

hey guys.

quick question for anyone with the zeon ltz's. what sort of guarantee is with the LT 265/70/17s? on the site it only has 50,000 for passenger construction.

cheers woz.
woz

Re: what you rate kumho tyres

Postby dougyglxr on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:44 pm

KL71's r light truck too 10 ply MT's
yet to put them on one more week :D
" Love that car, Love this site"
My Toys....
Triton GLXR twin cab 2.5 mn MY11
Lancer SX sedan MY11
dougyglxr

Postby fraz91 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Hey everyone,

firstly, well done CD for setting this up. It's a fantastic source of info and i've been sitting here the last couple hours just reading through trying to find some info.

as i haven't been able to find quite what i'm looking for, i figured i'd ask here. I'm getting a set of 16x8 steel patrol rims soonish and have already made sure they fit my beast. My question is if i fit a set of muddies/crawlers/comp tyres, what's my best size option? I want to go as big-a tyre as possible, but most people seem to be getting a 33" and thats it. Is it possible to get a 34" or even a 35"? a bit extreme, i know, but so are the tracks i'm wanting to tackle :lol:

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Kegsy on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:09 pm

I'd PM 4wd26 or AG9111.

Those guys tend to be researching all the big tyre options at the moment.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8586
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:47 pm

So without starting yet another tyre thread :roll: I have been reading wheel and tyre threads and just wanted a few opinions :D

Steel wheels vs Alloy wheels :?:

As some of you may have seen, I have cracked one of my aftermarket alloys (pic in the Bylong trip report)

This new set of wheels will be for offroad and daily driving. I dont want to bother with 2 sets of wheels at this stage....I can just see it annoying me, which will take away from the fun of heading out off road ;)

I am now leaning heavily towards a set of steel wheels.......the only downside i can see is the weight of them. How much difference does 5 or 6 kg make on a wheel?? In reality?? I am also looking to increase the wheel track slightly for a bit more stability and aggressive stance......so looking at about a +15 or +10 offset compared to the +30 i have now ;)

I really dont think i could bring myself to spend alot more money on a set of nice aftermarket rims only to go and scratch and scuff them off road. I have done a fair bit of damage to my current ones by doing some moderate to hard tracks.......and was very disappointed the worse they got scuffed. :?
I think the only way i would go an alloy rim, would be a set of patrol rims.......but by the look of e-bay are selling for over a grand for a set of 4..........another win for the steelies at approx $400 :D

LEt me know what you guys think hey?? :) Or anything i have missed or overlooked?? Going to see the guys at Tyrepower in the morning ;)

On a side note.......say i went steelies on my truck........black or silver wheels??? Leaning towards black 8-)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:57 pm

I had black steelies for a while with my muddies. They were heavier than alloys and I thought it took longer to slow down. They also had to be finger balanced to run right. I went back to alloys after seeing a few steelies that either got bent/dinged or that lost their seal around a bead. I couldn't tell you now who that happened to but I think maybe Daryn, Joe and Homer all had issues? My memory may be a bit dodgy on that front though. Until your recent issue I wasn't aware of anyone who'd damaged an alloy.

I spent a bit of time watching prado rims on ebay but as with the patrol rims they were going for more than $800 for 4 on most occasions.

I ended up going with Speedy Grandes when they came up on sale for less than $200 per corner (fitted). They come in black or silver (silver for me of course). When I was looking I think the speedy avalanche had the highest load rating I found from memory. I can dig out the emails I got from Speedy if you're interested. I think the offset is +30 IIRC.

I also recommend the Bob Jane website - they have a thing that lets you put together an image of your vehicle with different rims on it to get a feel for how they look.

Cowboy Dave

Postby fridgie on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:00 pm

Don't forget, if you go steelies... You will need to work out how to carry the spare ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby al coholic on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:05 pm

fridgie wrote:Don't forget, if you go steelies... You will need to work out how to carry the spare ;)

Underneath :roll: Where it goes now...........geez where do we find these people :lol: :lol:

I already have a different bracket/mount under there off an old Hilux ;) For a 100mm hub centre rim. My current spare wheel is a sunnraysia rim :)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:05 pm

In relation to the spare, I am about to try using an alloy wheel spacer that I picked up at auto one. It's not as solid as Daisy's custom job but should be solid enough for holding the spare on.

Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:41 pm

I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels