ironman load plus helper add a leaf mn triton

Re: ironman load plus helper add a leaf mn triton

Postby GPS98 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:28 am

Hi I have had these on Triton for months now and they have made a big difference in the back end even on the lightest setting. Found it did raise the height of the back as the canopy door when opened now hits the garage door. The Ironman installers measured the height of both sides to make sure everything was perfect. More than happy with the load plus, simple but effective idea.
GPS98

Postby puk on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:58 am

Put mine on my flat springs the other day. For a temporary fix they make a huge difference. I plan to pick up some newer factory springs and put the helpers back on, but not done up as far.
puk

Postby MN GLXR on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:08 pm

There is a good clip on you tube showing how to fit. Looks simple.
MN GLXR

Postby rowan_kelly85 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:21 pm

went to put mine on the weekend. but i found the rear u bot directly interferes with the bolt/bracket holding the spring pack together.

Is it safe to slide the unit back 5cm so it clears, or should i not do this? ie the front of the loadplus spring would sit 5cm back from the rubber stopper in the middle,not up against it as per the manual.

I'm using a set of ironman springs, so i assumed (and was told) it would fit.
rowan_kelly85

Postby puk on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:57 pm

The installation instructions say it is fine to move it 50mm back from the stopper to get it to fit, and this is, in fact, what we did with mine.
puk

Postby MN GLXR on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:43 am

Do the LP helpers reduce wheel articulation when 4wding?
MN GLXR

Postby mIwoo on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:51 am

I believe they do, yes
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby slicvs on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi all I had these fitted to my triton, and yes they did make a difference. Stiffened up the rear end which stopped the boat like bounce I had when I hit a hump... I would only recommend these for a temporary fix as I had one of the shackles shatter and shoot off into the bottom of my tray, was a very scary noise! I do however carry a constant load for work and the ute weighs 2770kgs, so its not exactly light! Currently looking into a full load rated suspension kit and fix it all up properly, as my ride is terrible at the moment on the stock suspension, I cringe every time I drive down a dirt road now because of the roughness... the load plus springs were very easy to install and for the price do a great job, I just dont want another incident like last time so im going to have to fork out the money now!
T rusty
slicvs

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:03 pm

Mate I run about 2800kg most of the time in mine. Well last time we weighed it anyway. I have a custom setup from Ultimate and it generally drives like it's on rails. Sway bar probably helps a bit too.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Mordy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Fitted a set of Ironman Load Plus Helper springs today to my MN GLXr. At a 10mm setting it lifted the rear end slightly (still to measure the difference from stock). Once fitted, which was easy to do, I took the car out along a corrugated dirt road then onto a 4x4 area for testing, so far I am very happy with them.I have noticed an improvement in the ride and the Triton feels more stable in cornering. When on the trail traversing a few obstacles it felt like the helper springs are forcing the wheels down giving more traction. The reason that I purchased these is that when I load the car with camping gear and then attach the Jayco eagle camper trailer the rear end sags, during the day time this does not worry me, but at night the lights shine a touch higher than normal and dazzle oncoming drivers. I considered Airbags ($875), but decided that I would take the gamble and go the $125 inc delivery option and give the Helper springs a go. I purchased mine through: http://suspensiondealer.com.au/ postal time was about 4 days. Next test will be with the camper, I have not adjusted the springs beyond the minimum so I have plenty to play with if needed to accommodate the extra load of the camper. I will give write up of what is like with the camper soon. Cheers.
Cheers

Mordy
(From near Adelaide in the hills, SA)
Mordy

suspension question

Postby stinger on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:13 pm

Hi people I'm planing to put an aluminium tray on a 2014 GLX dual cab ,may at times load near a ton to prevent any chassis damage was wondering if adding an extra rear leaf spring would be sufficient or if anyone has other advice thanks
stinger

Re: suspension question

Postby mitzikatzi on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:56 pm

I don't know the rules in your state but I suspect you can increase the GVM if you contact a suspension company.
http://www.westcoastsuspension.com.au/m ... m-upgrade/
Are in WA but increase GVM to 3300kg just search in your state for someone.
mitzikatzi

Re: suspension question

Postby har05l on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:00 am

Read the below thread stinger and I'm curious, did you search :?

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12417&hilit=Add+a+leaf
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Danos on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:33 pm

I fitted helper springs today on my MN

Wound them in to 15mm and picked up about 25mm lift.

I did try to wind the passenger side up more to get it level with the drivers side (sagging because of fuel tank I assume?) but wasnt sure if that will do any long term harm so put them back to 15mm.

Body roll has reduced although hard to say how much.

Click to view larger picture
Danos

Postby carrrake on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:57 pm

Hey mate, i fitted mine today also. But i spaced mine back 35mm from bump stops so i didnt get that weird angle that yours has. Also that flatbar should sit flat against the leaf. Ubolt other way round negates that problem.

And depending on how much the pass side is sagging, remember when you jump in the drivers seat, the car may level out. Offset that fuel tank.

I love mine. Hooked up my 2t camper today. Omg, why didnt do this years ago
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Danos on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:10 am

The top photo is with the leaves sagging down. The U bolt comes closer to square once the wheel is on and car lowered.

Yeh you are right about the fuel tank and heavy driver. The other thing was I was measuring left and right sides to the tray which I dont know how level it is. Ill leave them at 15mm.

Click to view larger picture
Danos

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:11 am

What keeps the U-bolt from wandering around on the leaves?

The other concern is creating a concentrated stress point on part of the leaf spring at each end.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Danos wrote:The top photo is with the leaves sagging down. The U bolt comes closer to square once the wheel is on and car lowered.

Yeah fair call, but the only thing i was thinking was if you were out on the tracks and flexing that rear axle, the contact point would be on the edge of that flat bar. But then again, if its flexing down that far then it means no weight on the spring so probably wouldnt matter.

RHKTriton wrote: What keeps the U-bolt from wandering around on the leaves?

At a guess, cold hard clamp force and friction
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Suspension