ironman load plus helper add a leaf mn triton

Re: ironman load plus helper add a leaf mn triton

Postby Earlyninja on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:12 pm

There's several ways to install this depending on where you have the space. I helped install some on my mate's hilux (helped by drinking the beers ;) ) to raise the stock rear to match the front 2" lift and it says you can install these in front of the axle or behind the axle, and with the u-bolt prongs pointing up or pointing down.
After their 12000km trip through outback roads and corrugations with a full load in the canopy, it kept the lux level and they're still in good condition.
Earlyninja

Postby yld34t on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:51 am

I just added the Ironman load helpers to my 2011 Triton with brilliant results.

I tow a Silvia rally car and load the tray full of service gear. Previously, the rear would sag badly. With the helper springs installed, the back was level and the car towed much better than before. Brilliant!

My navigator (who has the same Triton), commented on how good mine towed when he drove it.

When I unloaded everything, the rear was higher than the front, so I backed the tension off 10mm on the thread and problem solved. I would say the ride is slightly firmer in the rear when unladen but nothing to be concerned with.

Best $125 ever spent!!!
yld34t

Postby mIwoo on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:06 am

Earlyninja wrote:There's several ways to install this depending on where you have the space. I helped install some on my mate's hilux (helped by drinking the beers ;) ) to raise the stock rear to match the front 2" lift and it says you can install these in front of the axle or behind the axle, and with the u-bolt prongs pointing up or pointing down.
After their 12000km trip through outback roads and corrugations with a full load in the canopy, it kept the lux level and they're still in good condition.

Q... was it level WHILE he was going around Aus, or did the rear still sag? Just wondering before I fit my new springs in the front- considering purchasing these. Cheers
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby GPS98 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Have to agree have had them on my Triton for just over a week now and excellent results...a different vehicle, for the price cant go wrong.
GPS98

Postby dwhylan on Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:09 pm

Just want to add my experience with these load plus items.

I had them on my ML for a trip to the Kimberly's a few weeks ago from Darwin. I did about 1500klm of dirt including Mitchell Falls along the Gibb River and then Wolf Creek and the Bungle Bungles.

At the heaviest there were 3 of us, plus luggage, camping gear, 60L of fuel, 60L water, second battery esky etc in a box I made for the back. Had the bolts wound to 20mm, so half the recommended max and had minimal sag. They didn't move or come loose over all the corrugations.

I have wound them back to the minimum 10mm while there is no weight in the back and they made the ride a little firmer (I run 45psi all round) but so much better handling in corners and speed bumps, not much body roll in cornering.

Click to view larger picture

dwhylan

Postby dexterboy on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:55 pm

Going tomorrow to purchase they want $120 to fit .How hard is it to fit these and is there anything you need to watch out for surely there is instructions in the box for fitting.
dexterboy

Postby Hutch on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:21 pm

I have had them for the past 4 months, put them on for a trip to Fraser Island. They do a great Job, had the ute loaded up with a 300kg slide on camper no problem. Bought them off the net $125 delivered
I have left them on, rides a lot better easy to adjust.
Hutch
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dexterboy on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:27 pm

Hutch wrote:I have had them for the past 4 months, put them on for a trip to Fraser Island. They do a great Job, had the ute loaded up with a 300kg slide on camper no problem. Bought them off the net $125 delivered
I have left them on, rides a lot better easy to adjust.

Yes all good but did you fit and how hard is it and are there any problems to look out for I have read of U Bolts hitting chasis when loaded having to cut them off and also having to turn U Bolts up the other way.Or is it a simple fit as per the ironman PDF fitting instructions on the Triton
dexterboy

Postby Hutch on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:27 pm

They are dead easy to fit will take 15 mins a side. Easy to follow instructions, longest bit is jacking up the back.
Hutch
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dexterboy on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Hutch wrote:They are dead easy to fit will take 15 mins a side. Easy to follow instructions, longest bit is jacking up the back.

Thanks mate for reply did you fit both U bolts facing down as I notice in the above pictures the rear U Bolt is Down and the one closest to the Diff is Up ?
dexterboy

Postby brodical on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:45 pm

The u bolts can go either up or down and I states this with the supplied instructions..mine are pointing down and had no dramas take about 20min to put on...and very happy with them..
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby brodical on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:47 pm

I have mine the same as the above photo...all good
brodical

Postby dexterboy on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks guys will get them and give it a go
Cheers
dexterboy

Postby jab461 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Bump
jab461

Postby dexterboy on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:06 am

How do you guys get the vehicle HIGH enough so the rear axle hangs.

I placed a trolley jack under the round cross beam in the centre and I still don't think it went high enough so the axle hangs

Any clues would be good about where to jack and support

Thanks
dexterboy

Postby dwhylan on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:59 am

Do one side at a time and jack up under the chassis rail, you don't need to jack the tyre right off the ground to fit them.
dwhylan

Postby dexterboy on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Had one problem ,one of the bottom plates on the rear where it slots in between the leaf and that small round lug did not fit in flush as it was overlapping the lug slightly I hit the plate forward with a hammer and it gone over the side of the lug and the edge of the lug is slightly sheared off .Hope it doesn't cause any problems?

I was thinking of taking that thinner plate back off and going over and having the side of it planned of slightly so it wasn't up against that round lug

UPDATE

Phoned Ironman Technical Support spoke to them and have no worries with how it fits beside the Locating Spring Lug,he said sometimes they grind them of to fit.

Thanks all for help biggest problem was getting the vehicle up high enough but then I remembered son had a huge truck jack problem solved.
dexterboy

Postby Steve1000 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi There
I have a GLX-R 2013 and the ass sags out of mine as well I have had a look under a GL 2012 (delivered as a cab chassis) Mine has 4 leafs and a thick one at the bottom were the GL has 4 leafs and 2 thick ones at the bottom both are dual cabs.

With a canopy on mine and a couple of hundred kgs in the rear she is sat on the bump stops were as the GL had tray 2 large tool boxes with tools and a ladder rack sags no wear as bad as mine.

So what i am trying to get to is maybe the springs of the trade ute will sort your issue and not void warranty as they are spec for MN triton.

Other wise i contacted a suspension manufactures in Adelaide and they quoted $450 for extra leaf and re-profiling this would give an extra 300kg load capacity and 20 mm lift when unloaded

Regards
Steve

THere is a far bit of info on the forum about helpers
Steve1000

Postby brodical on Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:11 pm

For the price the ironman load helpers are pretty good...get em at a good price on ebay ...$125 from memory...
brodical

Postby salt36 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Steve for that kind of money I would think aftermarket springs would be a better option. I have heard the helpers can 'stiffen' the suspension and the ride quality can suffer.

I have not experienced it though , only chatted with people who have used them....
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby skilbys on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Fitted some today, on top of heavy duty leaf springs as I was still not satisfied with the sag when loaded and the body roll in the rear. So far so good, it has stiffened it up a bit which is good, and also reduced the roll.
Great bit of kit for the price, and now looking forward to towing the van!
skilbys
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brodical on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:30 pm

If your carrying the extra load all the time then the helper springs work well ..on mine still get a good ride IMO and definitely raises the arse up on it...it's a cheap alternative ..
When I had the mk I had a leaf added and then reset and cooked ..I removed and re installed the springs myself wich made it pretty cheap $250... To be honest they were never that good and they added to much curve to the leafs and the rear hanger on one side would fold forward and I'd have to stop jack it up and pry it back the right way " countless times" ended Up stuffing the spring ....so I'd say with the aftermarket raised springs that at least the bottom leaf would b slightly longer to prevent this and have the rear hanger sitting as it should be so in IMO there's only so much you can do with the stock spring " longer hangers would help but not legal "
As said above your money would be better put toward some decent aftermarket springs for sure.....
brodical

Postby justasparkie on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Have had the ironman load plus in the rear for three weeks now. Both set at 40mm and the ride is considerably better with and without a load. Gets rid of a lot of the body roll and imo firms up the rear while still keeping it comfortable. Great investment so far. :D
justasparkie

Postby rowan_kelly85 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Do these helper springs increase the unloaded ride height?

I've got an ironman "performance" lift, but the rear is basically level with the front unloaded, so throw a bit of weight in the back and it sags.

These look like they would help, cheaper and easier than swapping the whole springs.

Is anyone using them like this with aftermarket springs, or is everyone using them with the stock springs?
rowan_kelly85

Postby puk on Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:28 am

If they only take 15 minutes to put on, you could leave them off for all your everyday empty running and "hook them up" before you load up for a big trip.

Just a thought.

Puk
puk

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension