Iron Man suspension

Iron Man suspension

Postby tony73 on Tue May 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Has anyone used the Iron man suspension lifts?

Ive just ordered a kit from supplier here in Darwin! He's assured me its the best setup for a triton and a 40mm lift!

Im getting the B type performance coils for the front and the C type constant load leaf springs for the back with one leaf removed! Nitro gas shocks all round!

Thing that scares me is in their catalouge it says the B spring will only lift 25mm whilst the C will lift 40mm

Another supplier in Vic was talking me into C constant load front springs and A comfort leafs rear to achieve 40mm lift, constant load front to counter act the diesel motor and alloy bar (much lighter than steel though)

The local suplier told me that he's had too many complaints about being too stiff in the front with the C type in and has had to remove and change heaps! Still assures me I will get 40mm with the B in front!

Im going to hold him to it and hes said he will exchange within 1000 km if not happy with B in the front!

So whos had experience with the different types/models of Ironman Springs! Ive also heard of many different brands sagging in the front after a while due to the engine weight and steel bars with winches (again I only have an alloy bar)!
tony73

Re: Iron Man suspension

Postby har05l on Tue May 07, 2013 3:46 pm

I typed in "ironman" to search and came up with over 2500 different options, not all suspension but just after 3 pages got plenty of info to answer some of your questions tony.

Grab a beer and get comfy and have a read mate ;)

search.php?keywords=Ironman&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tony73 on Tue May 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Cheers had already tried that and gave up! I will dig a little deaper than page 3 then! :shock:
tony73

Postby sammy199 on Tue May 07, 2013 4:44 pm

i have iron man in my triton have the cs on the front as i have arb bar with 12000lbs winch and bs in the back as i dont really have much in the tub and its excellent i havnt had any issues yet had it for about 2 months tho so not along time but its removed all body roll and the ride is so much better than th stock
sammy199

Postby al coholic on Tue May 07, 2013 4:59 pm

tony73 wrote:Has anyone used the Iron man suspension lifts?

Ive just ordered a kit from supplier here in Darwin! He's assured me its the best setup for a triton and a 40mm lift!

I can ASSURE you this supplier is pulling your leg :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby variflex on Tue May 07, 2013 5:57 pm

I have the ironman lift, cant tell you what class of springs they are, was never given an option however they are dobinson springs, I went with the foam cells which I was told make it a little stiff compared to the gas shocks, all in ll im happy with the kit, gave me 45mm all round and works well offroad,
variflex

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue May 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Try this search. It narrows the results down to "ironman" and "suspension" only when used together.

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/search.php?keywords=%22ironman+suspension%22&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Only seem to be a few that are happy, long term.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby GLRkenny on Tue May 07, 2013 7:05 pm

I have the ironman 2" in mine, had the b's all round the front sagged( alloy nudge bar only) so they sent me the c's all good now :-)
GLRkenny

Postby tony73 on Tue May 07, 2013 8:16 pm

GLRkenny wrote:I have the ironman 2" in mine, had the b's all round the front sagged( alloy nudge bar only) so they sent me the c's all good now :-)

Thanks for the replies boys so kenny did the B's lift it 40mm? So confusing as the website says 25mm only as the bs are for the two piece tailshaft!

Also how long before they sagged? This retailer recons he will swap them inside 1000km if I'm not happy ! What's the warranty on them??

He also claims he's had to remove too many Cs on front ends due to being too stiff!

How do you find the Cs for stiffness?

I can feel yet another retailer fisting coming on! Worst thing is he's my mates mate supposedly doing me a good deal!
tony73

Postby GLRkenny on Tue May 07, 2013 9:03 pm

Yeah they lifted at least 40mm,
The b's sagged within 5000kms (not sure exactly when just looked one day and thought it didn't look right),
The ride is pretty stiff in the front but better than sagging IMO
GLRkenny

Postby rowan_kelly85 on Wed May 08, 2013 7:14 am

I've got the ironman "performance" which would be B's all round with foam cell's. Very happy with the ride. The front lifted by 40mm, but the rear only about 25mm.

I wasnt made aware at the time that the B springs on the rear only lifted 25mm or i would have gone with something else.

Very happy with them otherwise, just a bit dissapointed at the rear lift height. when looking at the vehicle side on, it is perfectly level now, the rear doesnt stick up in the air. Even with the tray loaded up with about 300kg it doesnt sag, so thats a good thing.
rowan_kelly85

Postby tony73 on Wed May 08, 2013 4:34 pm

rowan_kelly85 wrote:I've got the ironman "performance" which would be B's all round with foam cell's. Very happy with the ride. The front lifted by 40mm, but the rear only about 25mm.

I wasnt made aware at the time that the B springs on the rear only lifted 25mm or i would have gone with something else.

Very happy with them otherwise, just a bit dissapointed at the rear lift height. when looking at the vehicle side on, it is perfectly level now, the rear doesnt stick up in the air. Even with the tray loaded up with about 300kg it doesnt sag, so thats a good thing.

Ah cheers Rowan that would explain why the dealer recons C in the back with one leaf removed! I also rang him again today to confirm and he said they will put a 10mm spacer in the fronts! He recons it will end up 45-50 all round so I'm pretty confident now alls well at this stage!
tony73

Postby tony73 on Thu May 09, 2013 3:26 pm

So Ive learnt a little more now after communication with the National Rep for IronMan!

Spacers of 5,10 and 15mm spacers are available (thus the term adjustable struts Ironman refer to) to use in the fronts but you have to make sure the Motion Ratio (MR) does not reduce by 60mm, that is the difference between rim to gaurd is not less than 60mm after raising the truck off the ground and re-measuring that distance!

Also when talking MR, adding spacers to the strut body also actually raises ride hight by a ratio of 1:2 or 1:1.6 thus by adding a 10mm spacer would raise ride hight in real terms 20mm or 16mm depending on the Tritons actual ratio! This is on top of the springs lift over the factory spring. Thus the Ironman B spring quoted as a 25mm lift can infact be lifted as high as 55mm

Refering to sagging he stated that all suspension systems will have a settling period and initial lift will always settle back by possibly 5-10mm from original instalation which I guess is understandable, in saying this he stated you shouldnt try to compensate a higher lift predicting the settling as it may not be suitable for the vehicle set up!

He said Bs with 5mm spacer only for the Triton but my local dealers gona go 10mm

Guess I will have to check the MR after installation!
tony73

Postby rowan_kelly85 on Mon May 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Did you end up getting this fitted. Wondering how you went with the C springs with one leaf removed for height and ride.
rowan_kelly85

Postby tony73 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:45 am

rowan_kelly85 wrote:Did you end up getting this fitted. Wondering how you went with the C springs with one leaf removed for height and ride.

Yer Rowan put it in two days ago went with B springs in front with 5mm spacer and C Springs in back, didn't remove a leaf, decided with tow bar, canopy and duel battery in back ill try without first! Removing the bottom leaf won't change the ride unless you really load her up and get to that bottom leaf, your simply taking away the 10-15mm thickness of the leaf

Front has come up 50mm
Rear has come up 70mm

Yet to bed down id expect a reduction of maybe 10mm on those figures, also presume the factory stuff had already sagged!

You can't notice the 20mm difference between front and back! Looks pretty level!

Ride on highway and speed bumps seem firm but not stiff! Yet to test on corrugations which I expect will be a little firmer than the soft factory stuff!

Just need bigger tyres and she's gona be a weapon (the little ones look like cheese cutters now!
I wanted hight for boat launching and better performance and I'm happy with it atm but the missus is struggling to lift the shopping into the tray lol
tony73

Postby GLRkenny on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:44 pm

Where is the 5mm spacer fitted?
Any pics?
GLRkenny

Postby dino35 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:18 pm

I have had Ironman B's both ends with Ironman gas nitro shocks for 170000k's
The front left side has just started weeping , I had to replace the front bushes at 100k but they supplied them free, just a bit of a job to get em in.
I have now got the Foam cel fronts, they are a bit stiff but have only done a few hundred K's and no off-road.
I suspect the rear shackle bushes will need replacing soon.

But over all very happy with performance, cost and longevity.
dino35

Return to Suspension