Airbag suspension - yes or no?

Re: Airbag suspension - yes or no?

Postby newatit on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:05 pm

Just wanted to bump this one I'm looking at suspension options as my camper has a lot of draw bar weight.
progressive springs seems to have issues, linear springs will harshen the ride,the air bag just seems to tick all the boxes. Car is only used for light duty 4WD with the camper on it does need to get to camp on Fraser island though.
newatit

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:53 pm

If your camper has a draw bar load of more than 10% of its total weight then I'd be looking at redistributing weight in the trailer. If you're close to the limit now then I'd heed srb's advice in the post above.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby biggibbo on Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Heavy draw bar weight, and the dips and drop off's of Fraser combined with airbags could be a recipe for disaster, assuming your tub will also be loaded. I would be looking at reducing the draw weight and getting some decent springs before contemplating air bags
biggibbo

Postby mIwoo on Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:30 pm

edit- didn't read the post properly.
Last edited by mIwoo on Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby ultimate on Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:00 pm

What are the issues you have heard with progressive springs?

In my opinion the main advantage with leaf springs is that they are progressive. A well staged aftermarket spring will handle your loads and maintain good comfort when empty. The progressive staging also distributes the load evenly along the spring reducing the risk of broken leaves.

I personally would never run an airbag system on a dual cab ute without an aftermarket leaf springs. You need the leaf spring carrying at least 90% of the load and the airbags there to provide a bit of levelling support and take stress off the spring/shackle bushes.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby newatit on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Drawbar weight 200 kg rear tub load 250 kg 2 kids in the back 120 kg total 470kg I can't reduce my tow bar weight. I just towed this 7 hrs north and 7 hrs back last long week end every thing went well car towed well. All high way travel and averaged 100kph a couple of time I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize and was up to 120kph. I just noticed the tow bar scrubbed on the way out and I recon I lost 2 inches in rear hight with the load, as you can imagine the boat needs to remain at least level in case it rains.
Click to view larger picture
Last edited by newatit on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
newatit

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:38 pm

In your [ img ] code you need your right bracket from the first code to be immediately after the G of the IMG rather than over near the other one.

The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby newatit on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:57 pm

ultimate wrote:What are the issues you have heard with progressive springs?

In my opinion the main advantage with leaf springs is that they are progressive. A well staged aftermarket spring will handle your loads and maintain good comfort when empty. The progressive staging also distributes the load evenly along the spring reducing the risk of broken leaves.

I personally would never run an airbag system on a dual cab ute without an aftermarket leaf springs. You need the leaf spring carrying at least 90% of the load and the airbags there to provide a bit of levelling support and take stress off the spring/shackle bushes.

What aftermarket springs and air bag would you recommend
newatit

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:54 pm

You did see his signature down the bottom right?

Brendan O'Keefe
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds

Cowboy Dave

Postby newatit on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:56 pm

Yea I thought he might have different springs in his range maybe even more than one type of air bag.
newatit

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Yeah he does but for rear leaves they will be ultimate product. They custom make depending on your needs. He does also supply air bags as I understand it but I'm less familiar with that side of it not having bought those (but bought just about everything else).

Cowboy Dave

Postby ultimate on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:02 am

newatit wrote:Yea I thought he might have different springs in his range maybe even more than one type of air bag.

Yeah we have a lot of different leaf spring combinations. We can modify the packs to suit just about any application. For your vehicle, I recommend our straight UL115-2R spring which will work well both loaded and unloaded.

If you wanted to get the softest possible ride when empty, you could look at running a custom raised height comfort leaf spring with a helper kit. For the helpers, we use either Firestone Ride Rite Airbags or Drivetech 4x4 Sumo Springs.

After a lot of testing, I actually prefer the sumo springs on leaf springs. These are basically polyurethane, airless air bags. They will compress to the same height as the factory bumpstop (A lot less load on the chassis) and don't require maintenance or adjustment. These have been around for many years in the USA and have always had good feedback. There's a video on them here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx-2lrTSKd4#t=37

The variable, two piece kit would be best suited for your vehicle. We can supply these for $780.00 delivered for newtriton.net members.

The Team at
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
ultimate

Previous

Return to Suspension