Random Triton IFS ravings

Re: Random Triton IFS ravings

Postby oldplodder on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:55 am

Aussie,

Sounds good. The rear 9" diff you are talking about is a racing diff based on the ford 9" diff?
Yep, a lot of parts for those.

Widening and increasing the height of the front, I would guess you have laid it out to check the revised roll centre? Castor, camber and zero or plus offset can be designed in the A arms and king pin angles.

Wish you luck, never easy to do.
oldplodder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jop on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:59 am

Yep, no worries

Mitsu ratios are available from 3.6 to 5.29 and are readily available for quite cheap.

Starion lsd's will fit the front diff's as well ;)

I love the american stuff but the pricing landed here is :shock:
jop

Postby AussieTriton on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:23 pm

oldplodder wrote:Aussie,

Sounds good. The rear 9" diff you are talking about is a racing diff based on the ford 9" diff?
Yep, a lot of parts for those.

Widening and increasing the height of the front, I would guess you have laid it out to check the revised roll centre? Castor, camber and zero or plus offset can be designed in the A arms and king pin angles.

Wish you luck, never easy to do.

Yes, the Currie Track 9 is a fabricated Ford 9" housing from the US, it uses standard 9" components, etc.

I've laid it out in chalk on the concrete to check all this, yes, and with a 50mm height increase and 125mm extra track the roll centre is roughly 10mm lower than standard factory ride height. 70mm lift is roughly 3mm above the factory roll centre. I still have to accurately calculate the roll centre on my MN because of the differing spring rates and heights from factory, but industry sources tell me I am pretty close, so as long as its close, I can work it out reasonably accurate. Changes to camber and caster will kept minimal, with a minor addition of caster for better self-centreing and tyre turn angles. Camber wont change, as that will be a function of wheel alignment. The scrub radius will be checked with both factory Triton and 17" Pajero alloy rims to see what works best.
AussieTriton

Postby tritonvx80 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:57 am

i did a solid front axle conversion for less then 20k. but i think i cheated with the cheaper labor cost :D

And i see on this forum you have many many strange Laws in OZ. track width can not be extended more then 50mm?? i went from 152cm to 200cm :oops:

Click to view larger picture
tritonvx80

Postby AussieTriton on Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:30 pm

tritonvx80 wrote:i did a solid front axle conversion for less then 20k. but i think i cheated with the cheaper labor cost :D

And i see on this forum you have many many strange Laws in OZ. track width can not be extended more then 50mm?? i went from 152cm to 200cm :oops:

Is that 20K USD or Baht? :D :lol: We have much higher standards here in Aus (some would say unfortunately) to nanny us into submission. :lol: :lol:
AussieTriton

Postby tritonvx80 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:17 am

hahaha funny, bahts. No it is in Euros. All parts are much more expensive in Thailand then in OZ. Since we Buy the parts in OZ we need to pay huge import taxes and shipping costs. Its only Labor we can safe on. But then again thais work a lot slower then Aussies, so in the end you safe not as much as you would think.
tritonvx80

Postby AussieTriton on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:24 am

tritonvx80 wrote:hahaha funny, bahts. No it is in Euros. All parts are much more expensive in Thailand then in OZ. Since we Buy the parts in OZ we need to pay huge import taxes and shipping costs. Its only Labor we can safe on. But then again thais work a lot slower then Aussies, so in the end you safe not as much as you would think.

I hear you about the crazy shipping costs and taxes on importing parts from other countries. :shock: :? I buy parts for my project F100 from the US, and although some are very cheap, even shipped from USA, larger parts are dynamite! I usually go every year and fill my suitcases, but this year I have been pretty crook, only now getting better, so I'll have to wait 'til next year :D You have done a nice job with the conversion, but here, unless the ESC and ABS are working like factory on the MN, it cant be done legally here. The ML you might get away with, though.
AussieTriton

Postby tritonvx80 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:48 pm

my ABS is working fine, my car doesnt have ESC.

The conversion was not even that difficult. the most important thing is that you use the right parts of a Toyota VX80. I have seen other parts/cars being used and they dont seem to work as well on a triton as vx80 parts.
For me it was a bit of an adventure to get the rear axle shudder gone. but also thanks to this forum and some trial and error its fixed now.
tritonvx80

Postby AussieTriton on Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:02 pm

This is what my wide-track kit will look something like:
This is a 97 - 04 F150's front axle CV angle (stock):
Same vehicle with Porsche 930 upgrade:
Big difference in angle, huh?
As a small detail for the doomsayers.....the national guidelines are what you are allowed WITHOUT an engineer's report being required (IE: 50 mm track track increase, 50 mm suspension lift, etc.). Any increase beyond those guidelines requires an Accredited Engineer to certify their ability to pass the Standards for Registration. According to my local VicRoads, as long as their accredited Engineer can certify the changes, they will be accepted. Other states might be harder to get these passed, some not at all. Anyway, this will be a slow process because my funds and time are limited, although my jigs are almost finished, and some drawings are done. Don't hold your breath, though. :lol: :lol:
AussieTriton

Postby AussieTriton on Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:20 pm

tritonvx80 wrote:my ABS is working fine, my car doesnt have ESC.

The conversion was not even that difficult. the most important thing is that you use the right parts of a Toyota VX80. I have seen other parts/cars being used and they dont seem to work as well on a triton as vx80 parts.
For me it was a bit of an adventure to get the rear axle shudder gone. but also thanks to this forum and some trial and error its fixed now.

The actual conversion is quite easy. However, the chassis will need to be modified for front axle clearance, or the vehicle height needs to be raised, either falling into the major engineering acceptance black hole. In Australia, in real terms, if you want to do a LEGAL straight axle conversion on a Triton, you are limited to ML or earlier, due to the lack of DSC. THAT is the biggest stumbling block in converting MN Tritons LEGALLY. I also worked out roughly that your conversion, allowing for the large portion of it being shipping costs and duties, is still in the AU$25,000+ range. Personally, if you really HAVE to have a solid front axle, buy a bloody Patrol or Discovery/Defender. :roll: :lol:
AussieTriton

Postby Kegsy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:25 pm

Some early MNs don't have ESC / DSC or whatever acronym it is... late 2009 My10 models 8-)

So if for some reason you had a fetish for the 2.5 longed you could still do it...
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN GLXR on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:53 am

Kegsy wrote:Some early MNs don't have ESC / DSC or whatever acronym it is... late 2009 My10 models 8-)

So if for some reason you had a fetish for the 2.5 longed you could still do it...

My MN delivered Nov 09 has it.
MN GLXR

Postby Kegsy on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:09 am

Some MNs... Depends on the model and spec.
My 09 doesn't have it. I pretty much have an ml with a 2.5 and a long tray.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:05 pm

King Shocks Australia
Need Upper Control Arms for your IFS vehicle?

King Shocks Australia can recommend and organise a number of OEM control arm kits that can add huge benefits and performance to your vehicles suspension.

1978783_474397882662131_481281753_n.jpg

I msg'd them re a quote and availability for the MN / ML.

I was told they were persuing the matter.

8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:15 pm

Bookmarking...
DocBassett

Postby DocBassett on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Click to view larger picture seen this set up on the interwebs. An FJ cruiser. Apparently done at a national tyres in Perth. About $7000 for the front alone. Would be nice to have similar for the trito
DocBassett

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:37 pm

Like the idea of the upper control arms, would prefer that than using a ball joint spacer.
Will keep an eye on this thread.
Should hear more about the CV's tomorrow. Im trying to have CV's made, this is going to a whole new level lol.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mitzikatzi on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Replacement front suspension wishbones can be fabricated to suit any vehicle suspension combination for standard replacement to reduce weight or set up for show quality coil over shockers or air bag systems

mcdonaldbrosracing
mitzikatzi

Postby motoz on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:35 am

motoz wrote:King Shocks Australia

King Shocks Australia can recommend and organise a number of OEM control arm kits that can add huge benefits and performance to your vehicles suspension.

8-)

got a reply this morning.

King Shocks Australia

"Hi Dave, talking to the guys in the states yes we do plan on getting g a kit sorted. I will be in contact."

I'm guessing thats a step forward at this stage. I will say that there has been no discussion about legality or if they'll be certified for on road use.

I will continue to update as information becomes available.

:D
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Isaacstriton on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:32 pm

motoz wrote:
motoz wrote:King Shocks Australia

8-)

got a reply this morning.

King Shocks Australia

"Hi Dave, talking to the guys in the states yes we do plan on getting g a kit sorted. I will be in contact."

I'm guessing thats a step forward at this stage. I will say that there has been no discussion about legality or if they'll be certified for on road use.

I will continue to update as information becomes available.

:D

Im aware this thread has been inactive for a while, but did anyone actually hear back from the company? I'm looking for some as we speak.
Isaacstriton

Previous

Return to Suspension