coil seats

coil seats

Postby mrtuaniiex on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:58 pm

gday NTNers

i have a few questions about coil seats, had ultimate lift installed a while ago. went with front hd coils (raised) and rear comfort raised with ausieryder shocks all round.

i am really loving the suspension upgrade but my front had dropped a bit since new, front is sitting at 560mm. some will argue thats normal but my car is looking nose heavy and i still have dual batteries to go and wouldnt mind it being higher.

mods that could weigh the front down are:

bullbar, lightbar+spotlights, winch, bash plates, steps and side rails, snorkel, air compressor and myself at 95kgs :shock:

i am running 32" and the gap between the wheels and arches is not as big as it used to be and am worried if i hit a bump or jump offroad my tyres could get friendly with the body.

emailed the guys at ultimate a few months back (very helpful) and they said i could fit a 10mm coil seat which will raise trim height by 15mm. they also mentioned down travel will be less with the seat

my question is:

- is the seat legal, i know strut spacers are not
- roughly how much it will cost
- what do they mean by down travel? droop? and how would it limit down travel? wouldnt there be more down travel?
- are there drawbacks and benefits of the seat?
- also read that coils can bind with seat?
- anything else to be concerned about? geometry?

thanks team, sorry for all the questions. any advice would help

tuan
mrtuaniiex

Re: coil seats

Postby Tony on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:40 pm

Overall droop is same, wthat they may have been conveying is, your new static ride height (say 15mm taller) will be 15mm further down the range of the "overall" travel. So down travel from the new static height will be less in effect and in theory, you have 15mm more up travel. Spring rates etc come into how much up travel you can use when cross axled etc. Hope this makes sense.

I'm a very big believer that more down travel (from static ride height) is what gets you places off road and a slightly lower static hight is much kinder on the CV's.

Ultimate would know what they're doing far as spring seats go in the Tritons. Is a pretty common practice far as trimming ride heights go.

I cant see a 10mm spacer binding the coils on these either.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:01 pm

I have them on mine and they did lift it back up again.

They'll be legal or ultimate wouldn't sell them to you, they're trustworthy like that.

I can't remember what it costs now to be honest. I don't recall any issue with down travel being mentioned with mine. I would have assumed they mean that because you're reducing the distance to the bottom of the coil by raising the seat they mean the extent to which you can compress the springs downwards will be reduced?

I haven't had any issues with them. Never heard of the binding issue. No problems with geometry and alignments etc.

If you look at the people selling the adjustable struts for the most part they are installing an adjustable seat that you raise or lower so the whole concept is fairly common I would say.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby macca002 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:50 am

Coil seats are perfectly legal. It is also common practice for suspension shops to install seats of different sizes to help fix a lop sided stance - most common for drivers side.

Installing them means you need to pull the whole strut assembly apart, so some people tend to opt for a new set of coils and/or new coils and seats.
macca002

Postby myself62 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:30 am

quoting from mrstuanliex
"i am running 32" and the gap between the wheels and arches is not as big as it used to be and am worried if i hit a bump or jump off road my tyres could get friendly with the body."

This shouldn't happen if all the original components are in place (e.g. bump stops.)
Bruno.
myself62

Postby mrtuaniiex on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:27 am

Thanks for all the replies, I will order the coil seats soon.

I tried getting another beefier spring but I've already got the HD ones and am not sure about mixing and matching other components
mrtuaniiex

Postby mrtuaniiex on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:38 am

Just went outside and jumped on the cold ground to check out the bump stops.

The droop stop had like 15mm left so would that mean I would just sit on the droop stops if I fitted the coil seats?
And if I were to remove the droop stop, would it be like the hiluxes and break cv's from the crazy angle?
mrtuaniiex

Postby Lokd4b on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:46 am

Just been through the same thing with the brand new MN dual cab. Fair bit of weight on the front of mine, bullbar, bashplates, dual batt, winch, etc, so put it over the Simsmetal weighbridge and got the front axle weight 1220kg (without driver), which is getting within 40kg of the upper axle mass.

I put everything on before changing factory springs, and the front had dropped to 515mm from 550mm (about 35mm). The first set of springs fitted were a King's heavy duty spring, these barely lifted the front above factory (no accessories) to 560mm. I had these replaced with the King's extra heavy duty straight away gaining another 15mm, but with a firmer ride. These then settled back the 15mm I had gained, so back to factory height. The suspension guys then fitted new struts with new heavy duty coils, and these struts had the coil seat spacers that you have mentioned. Whoa, now I was at about 600mm, and up against the bumpstops ! Took coil seat spacers out, and now have 585mm, which is clear of the bumpstops, and I expect will settle back to 570-575mm.

So, in summary new MN's you can only get a 25mm lift in the front, without being against the bumpstops, and there is some variability between struts, the second set of struts had provision for coil seat spacers, but didn't need them.

Gave the current set up heaps 4wding on the weekend and was very happy with the setup now.

You will be able to fit the coil seat spacers, and you'll get you ride height to 575-580mm, your ride will be the same, and you travel will still be fine, although you will have less down travel as mentioned already. I've got 265/65R17 Desert Hawk XMTs on, and these never fouled and I used all the travel at times on the weekend.

The coil seat spacers are legal, a good suspension shop should fit them in about an hour ($80-$100), they will also be able to measure it so it doesn' t bind. Hope it goes smooth and you get a good result.
Lokd4b
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mrtuaniiex on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:00 pm

So is 585mm still on the droop stop? Wonder what's the max before you're sitting on the stops

Might jack up my front end on the weekend so that its sitting on droop stop and measure how much I get.
mrtuaniiex

Postby Lunny on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:28 am

Did you end up fitting these mrtuaniiex?
Lunny
Lunny

Postby mrtuaniiex on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Yeah fitted them in July. At jonlin automotive cooparoo. Free + labour
mrtuaniiex

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:32 pm

I've been running them for ages, no dramas at all.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mrtuaniiex on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:57 pm

Neither. You can have a look if you want lunny
mrtuaniiex

Return to Suspension