Front Air Bag Struts

Front Air Bag Struts

Postby GLX-RSilver on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Just wondering if anyone has thought about or installed Airbag Front Struts?
Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture
As I'm considering trying them out in my New Triton.
GLX-RSilver

Re: Front Air Bag Struts

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:57 am

Yes, I have used them on vehicles other than the Triton. They work quite well, however, I have only ever used them on-road, in vehicles that see limited street time (hot rods, etc.). It is important to remember that your front end geometry may change as height changes. Depending on the design of the front end, this can produce undesirable effects, such as excessive bump steer, weird CV angles or excessive negative camber. If they are set up with automatic ride height control, you can set an "everyday" ride height, where the wheel alignment can be set to minimise the negative effects. Due to the design of the Triton front end, I would suggest that the only real concern would be CV angles.

Those who have a more intimate knowledge of Triton suspension mods, will probably be able to comment further.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TUFF TROOP on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:35 am

Click to view larger picture I run airbags all round in my hsv , wouldn't run them in a 4x4 what so ever! Would be pretty dangerous
TUFF TROOP

Postby GLX-RSilver on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:51 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:Yes, I have used them on vehicles other than the Triton. They work quite well, however, I have only ever used them on-road, in vehicles that see limited street time (hot rods, etc.). It is important to remember that your front end geometry may change as height changes. Depending on the design of the front end, this can produce undesirable effects, such as excessive bump steer, weird CV angles or excessive negative camber. If they are set up with automatic ride height control, you can set an "everyday" ride height, where the wheel alignment can be set to minimise the negative effects. Due to the design of the Triton front end, I would suggest that the only real concern would be CV angles.

Those who have a more intimate knowledge of Triton suspension mods, will probably be able to comment further.

I wasn't thinking of lifting the triton higher then normal just as the coil springs have a habit of sagging the air bag will keep the car at the selected height. I ran Thailand Upper control arms and lowered diff brackets in my ML and it had a 5 inch lift with near level CV joint angles.
GLX-RSilver

Postby GLX-RSilver on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:54 pm

The New Grand Cherokee has Air bag suspension as a option and give a std height for the road and a 4 inch lift when off road. So can see there being any issues in the front of a Triton.
GLX-RSilver

Postby ultimate on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Personally I am not a fan of full airbag kits on 4WDs. A few vehicles run airbags from factory and the failure rate is huge. A lot of Jeep owners are not happy with the Cherokee airbags and everyone known Land Rovers are renowned for issues. If you are touring, I would stick with conventional coil suspension. Much more reliable and you can track down spare parts if required.

If you had a Jeep or something capable of massive flex; airbags can be awesome when integrated with a coil-over. The springs do most of the work and airbags provide instant height control. Filthy Motorsports in the US do a good kit for this- http://www.filthymotorsports.com/Air_Ov ... ercoil.htm
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby TUFF TROOP on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:42 pm

We replace a lot of airbag struts in the ml - gl series mercedes at work. Roughly 2-3 a week ... Can't see them lasting off road at all.
TUFF TROOP

Return to Suspension