Need help, Going crazy...

Re: Need help, Going crazy...

Postby iliketoride on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:10 pm

Yeh I think you're right there hence why I'm on here just to get some ammo to take to them. Ill ring and speak with head office non the less but it was mainly to test drive another triton to get a feel for what I should have. Cheers
iliketoride

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:14 pm

I hear what you say but honestly I don't think you've ended up with any "ammo" at all.

If I was a vendor/supplier and someone came to me and said I think the ride in my car is crap and 50 blokes on NewTriton agreed with me (or 50 from facebook or whatever) the only question I'd ask is how many of the 50 drove your car. So at that point you're basically back to zero aside from the feeling of moral support that you've achieved.

Someone a few posts back mentioned a bloke they said was a straight shooter. Maybe take it to him and get him to drive it and make some recommendations. But then if there's nothing in it for him, since you're going back to Dobinsons with it, why would he spend the time?

For me the problem would be articulating the problem in language they will understand. I don't profess to be a suspension expert (quite the contrary) but if the nature of the problem is that the car has 'a bobbing, wallowy and floating front end' I'm not sure that necessarily gets the message across. I mean I get what you're saying but only because I drove a stock Triton for a while and it used to drive like a porpoise whenever you hit a hump, you'd be rocking back and forwards 3 or 4 times before you were back to level every time you hit a freeway bridge transition.

At least if you go the Pedders route, or get someone independent to look at it, they can tell you that the problem is the rebound rate, or the shock valving, or whatever else the proper technical terms are and then you can have a proper discussion with Dobinsons about it (maybe).

Obviously in a perfect world all you would have to say is look I'm unhappy with this and they'd get you in, check it all out, discuss it with you, assess the issue and fix it - but if they're not doing that then either they're going to be difficult anyway (and lets face it we've all run into businesses that have no clue about customer service from time to time) or you're not getting the message across in the right way to get that response out of them.

I guess given the topic title there's also an outside chance you're just crazy and there's nothing wrong with it - but then if you were crazy you probably wouldn't lead with wanting to check that you weren't going crazy. :? :?

The other thing you could try, and I make this suggestion only because as I'm typing this I can see the system shows him reading the thread, is contacting Brendan at ultimate suspension for a chat. He knows the dobinson product (I know this because he put their springs in the front of mine) and will be able to give you advice from the part numbers on whether you have the right or wrong stuff for the weight of your vehicle etc. He will also be able to tell you what to check etc. He won't be making any coin out of that conversation but he's generally a helpful bloke who can't resist the temptation to help people out and share a bit of knowledge and you have nothing to lose by making the call. Tell him I dobbed him in so he knows who to rant at if you get up his nose too much ;) :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby iliketoride on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Thanks for putting the time in replying to that extent. I understand that it is a personal issue as in everyone had a different perseption on the way something should or should not work. I don't plan on mentioning that 50 guys on a forum think its stuffed, that would be pointless and give them an easy out but I get what you mean.

All I really wanted out of this thread is to establish whether my vehicle reacts the same or different to other tritons similarly spec'd over similar conditions. (Test driving others)

I wish it was just as easy as saying I'm not happy and the supplier would jump in and help clear up any issues yet I was unfortunate in that aspect.

ill take that on board and give Brendan a call and hopefully get some insight to the background of the issue.

Cheers
iliketoride

Previous

Return to Suspension