Need help, Going crazy...

Postby iliketoride on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:55 pm

OK so it's come to this.

I have a 2013 MN with bullbar, winch and suspension fitted all by Dobinsons. Does any one else have a bobbing, wallowy and floating front end with this set up?

I live near Brendale and would love to try out someone else's triton with suspension work (or get someone to drive mine and verify my findings) to see that i am not going crazy. (even if it isn't the same Brand)

I've taken the ute back to Dobinsons and have been sent packing saying its all fine yet the ute feels worse than my standard suspension.

Would appreciate any help.

Cheers Lockie

(sorry mods i realize there is a Dobinsons thread but not many use it and i need to get results asap before i throw these things through someones shop window)
iliketoride

Re: Need help, Going crazy...

Postby ag9111 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:02 pm

Where the front springs rated for the winch bar etc.
If they were only light duty then they would wallow away.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby iliketoride on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:04 pm

Yeh all rated for the bullbar and winch. They fitted all of this in one hit and invoice shows matching numbers. Just feels like there is no rebound damping at all. po go effect...
iliketoride

Postby ag9111 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:07 pm

My front end with similar weight is tight as. No wallow
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby iliketoride on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:08 pm

Yeh thats what i expected out of mine but it just feels very sketchy and no real feedback. I drive average to rough roads and it just goes all over the place.

I just wanted to get a feel of someone else's before i ring Head office and get some results.
iliketoride

Postby iliketoride on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:11 pm

i just don't accept that its "fine" when i know that it isn't and i've spent good money to get it done yet still feels dangerous and worse than standard.
iliketoride

Postby har05l on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:14 pm

What is the front ride height :?:

Don't want to beat a drum but this is why so many of us talk up a certain brand because if your not happy then either are they, just sayin ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mitzikatzi on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 pm

mitzikatzi

Postby iliketoride on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:30 pm

Yeh I get that. Hind sight is a wonderful thing. Ride height from Centre of wheel to under flare is 575.. And it's a glx
iliketoride

Postby iliketoride on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:30 pm

Yeh that's my next step.
iliketoride

Postby ICKIS on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:22 pm

I have a dobison lift with bullbar and winch, and a heap of other stuff/weight..... all good and firm. have done 35000 on it and no dramas. My ride heights are around 625/630 mm from wheel centre to flare..... maybe check the rating on the springs again.
My other thoughts was tyres.... are you running stockos with the extra weight causing the wallow feel?? .... just a thought .
I had my suspension done at 4WD performance centre in Nerang - Gold coast.... if you are down this way, call in and talk to Ben. He's a straight shooter and will give you a fair assessment of your set up. Goodluck.
ONLY SUCKERS PAY THE STICKER PRICE...............
ICKIS

Postby paddstar69 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:24 am

sounds like your shocks are not valved correctly to suit the spring rate
shocks are not controlling the compression/rebound with the weight the springs are carrying
I upgraded my springs to a 2inch comfort from ultimate suspension from standard - no bullbar/winch
when I fitted the bullbar and winch I needed heavier springs and the shocks revalved
rides and steers better than factory even with the extra weight over the front
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jeff Turner on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:06 am

Take it to pedders for a second option . My mn is stock I just seem to get to drive in a straight line. Pulls to the lest. Had since new 12 months now. Just got back from first service yesterday. If it's still there then I'm taking it to pedders and get them to check . If any fault I will get accc and get mits to pay.
Sorry bit long winded.
Jeff Turner

Postby iliketoride on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:56 am

Yeh coming from a mx back ground that's what I thought was going on but trying to convey my thoughts with the shop manager felt like a waste of time. Ill get it checked by pedders first then with the results take my issue to the head office to hopefully get it rectified. Cheers.

If anyone lives around brissy that wants to test drive or visa versa let me know. Just do I can feel what it should feel like.
iliketoride

Postby Bigbirdalx on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:58 am

What suburb?
I got ultimates and am in lawnton

Mines 10000kms old and stif still (was rated for bullbar and winch, no winch yet)
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby iliketoride on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:05 am

I work in brendale but live in samford
iliketoride

Postby Greedy on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:29 am

I had Dobinsons in my previous triton ute. Bullbar without winch on heavy duty coils and it was as solid as a cats head. 8-) No wallowing until about 130,000km. Shocks were starting to give out but that's to be expected. Now I have to do it all again on the replacement. It's done 105,000km on standard with a bulbar. :shock: Even worse now it had a dual battery setup under the bonnet too.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby iliketoride on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:38 am

Yeh righto. I've had these in since new and now have 30k on it but have felt like this the whole time. I've just finally had enough. I wish I went with someone else after the way I've been treated about it.
iliketoride

Postby phillipmyers84 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:28 am

Stick in some Adjustable tough dog Shocks in the front.... I love mine
phillipmyers84

Postby FreestyleCab on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:55 am

@ iliketoride

I have a similar setup on the front of my ute and I Can't speak highly enough about my Dobinsons suspension. So much so that I have just fitted another lot of Dobinsons gear under the my ute. I had a good run of 70000 km out of the front end with little drop off in performance of the components until a strut finally leaked. Not a bad run at all and considering other tritons at work have had OME shocks leak at 40000 km traveling over the same roads as mine has I am more than happy with the durability.

I believe the Dobinsons gear provides excellent handling characteristics for my triton ( for how it is setup and loaded), plus the 265/75r16 Geolandars aired correctly have been a great combination for me.

575mm front ride height doesn't leave much down travel on the front end, this might be what you are feeling when traveling over rough roads when the suspension tops out.
Last edited by FreestyleCab on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby iliketoride on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:55 am

Yeh but I don't want to buy more stuff when the ones I have should be fine.
iliketoride

Postby iliketoride on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:58 am

Cheers brett. Yeh I got no where with the guys at the shop when I took it back and was told that it is doing what is intended. I just want someone to actually look into it and do something about my issue. ( from dobinsons)
iliketoride

Postby Mancation on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:41 pm

Mate I have Blue Max and work at Pinkenba and could meet you over at brendale on the way home if you wanted to compare.
Mancation

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:54 pm

phillipmyers84 wrote:Stick in some Adjustable tough dog Shocks in the front.... I love mine

That's hardly a solution to OP's problem, Phillip, regardless of whether you love yours or not. He's just paid a bucket load of money for a setup that he isn't happy with. Spending more money isn't something that he's likely to want to do, certainly at this stage. If you have a reasonable solution or can offer some assistance or can contribute to the discussion then please do. Otherwise, it may be better to refrain from posting.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:01 pm

Well the only way you're going to do that is to get some sort of proof to take to them to make them look at it. As others have suggested the pedders test may provide you with a document you could use for that. I'm sure other suspension places would have similar tests that could be done.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Next

Return to Suspension