Spacers and ext. shackles

Spacers and ext. shackles

Postby Zookstar1 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi all, does anyone have any experience with the strud spacers and extended shackles that are available on ebay??
The blistein/EFS kits look very interesting but spacers worked a treat on my zook...
Zookstar1

Re: Spacers and ext. shackles

Postby al coholic on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:54 pm

Strut spacers are a shit option and extended shackles are illegal....does that answer your question?

Much better kits available than those you listed as well.....take a look at some of the forum sponsors for more info ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby ag9111 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:59 pm

Don't do it.
The strut spacers give you a crap ride up front. Save your money for a decent kit
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Zookstar1 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:05 pm

Cheers guys, was just wondering if someone actually used them.
Pretty new to tritons but have used dobbinsons many times in the past and pretty happy with how they perform.
Any suggestions on what works on a triton is appreciated. ;)
Zookstar1

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:13 pm

I run extended shackles (shhhh don't tell anyone) I run them for a purpose, so they suit my application but may not suit yours

If you go this way get a decent brand- don't go cheap, you are putting lots of additional stress on components and themselves (why they are illegal) I run snake due to the large square brace

note if you want to put a ARB rear bar on later they will be incompatible and the greasable pins rub on the exhaust

don't go for strut spacers, they will cause problems/ damage.....
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Zookstar1 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:14 pm

al coholic wrote:Strut spacers are a shit option and extended shackles are illegal....does that answer your question?

Much better kits available than those you listed as well.....take a look at some of the forum sponsors for more info ;)

Cheers alcohol.
Yeah, I know...for ones I want to stay on the legal path, had my fun building big lifted rigs and are a bit over it but just can't help looking into building a big triton :lol:
2" suspension is all I'm after and maybe 33's but that will be as far as I'm gonna go.
Zookstar1

Postby ag9111 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:23 pm

I had dobinsons on my ML. Seemed a bit washy in the rear end and rough in the front.
On my last MN I had Ultimate medium duty. Ultimate are a forum sponsor and run a very good system that will be tailored for your needs. You get a forum discount and they are very well received by a lot of the members here. I had very good customer service from them and couldn't fault the suspension.
This MN has Tough dog comfort leaves on the rear with load helpers. Very rough unladen and squeaky. I am about to install draws, LRT and water tank so will see how they pull up after that. The front are tough dog mediums as I have a bulbar and a winch will be going on soon. Very rigid in the front at the moment. This gear was on the ute when I bought it.

Hope that helps
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Zookstar1 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:28 pm

ag9111 wrote:I had dobinsons on my ML. Seemed a bit washy in the rear end and rough in the front.
On my last MN I had Ultimate medium duty. Ultimate are a forum sponsor and run a very good system that will be tailored for your needs. You get a forum discount and they are very well received by a lot of the members here. I had very good customer service from them and couldn't fault the suspension.
This MN has Tough dog comfort leaves on the rear with load helpers. Very rough unladen and squeaky. I am about to install draws, LRT and water tank so will see how they pull up after that. The front are tough dog mediums as I have a bulbar and a winch will be going on soon. Very rigid in the front at the moment. This gear was on the ute when I bought it.

Hope that helps

Thanks, that does help in making a decision.
On the patrol the Robinson set up is just the best but like you mentioned, it might not work well on the triton.
Will check out ultimate and have a bit of a research on them.
Zookstar1

Postby mitzikatzi on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:34 pm

mitzikatzi

Postby Horan on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Hey mate just throwing another option out there but if you replace your front struts with Tjm or sax you can reuse you standard spring with strut spacers but not the typical on top of the strut they actually go under the spring seat it comes with a 10 mm spacer and a 20 mm spacer machined to suit the strut if you combine to 20 and 10 mm spacer along with the pressure changed on the spring it will raise your vehicle anywhere from 40 to 60 mm. And they are 100 percent legal in fact if you didn't know what you were looking at you wouldn't know they were there. As for the back you can't beat a good set of springs and extended shocks. The Tjm rear springs provide good lift but with out weight can be a bit rough the ultimate suspension seems to get a good rap.
Horan

Postby al coholic on Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:05 am

What you are talking about Horan is a coil seat spacer, nothing like a strut spacer and you are correct, they are legal.

The front springs on the Triton are rubbish along with the shocks, IMO, a waste of time re-using them.

Zookstar, just call Ultimate and do it right the first time ;) It's money well spent, you won't regret it :D
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby leeroy12 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:22 am

Hey Zookstar, I ran some Snakeracing strut spacers and extended shackles for about a year. They suited there purpose and my budget at the time. Raised my ML 50mm with the original sagged suspension. I've now had Ultimate in for 3 months and obviously shitloads better, and also raised it another 50mm + as my original suspension was stuffed :-) All in all, full aftermarket suspension is far superior, but It depends on your budget, couple of thousand vs couple of hundred...
leeroy12

Postby Smj276 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi All.
Sorry for the dumb question.
I'm confused with the difference between a strut and coil spacer.
I have an ML with 2inch lift, front bar and winch. The front had always had a pretty decent rake on it since I but the bar and winch on and I'm looking to lift it back up to level with a 10mm spacer.

from what I rear the spacer is not really the way to go. what's a coils spacer and is this the better option?
Smj276

Postby viking shippy on Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:39 pm

You should ask Brendan from ultimate suspension this question...forum sponsor

------------------------
Cheers VS
I don't miss my old
viking shippy

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:33 pm

Smj276 wrote:Hi All.
I have an ML with 2inch lift, front bar and winch. The front had always had a pretty decent rake on it since I but the bar and winch on and I'm looking to lift it back up to level with a 10mm spacer.

from what I rear the spacer is not really the way to go. what's a coils spacer and is this the better option?

A "strut spacer" sits on top of the strut. It for want of a better description moves the whole strut downwards. The problem is the compression of the strut can be what limits the closed travel not the bump stops. Many on Facebook fit 6, 8 or 10mm ones and claim no ill effects. It would be wise to space the bump stop a little. Some claim that 10mm spacers doesn't really leave enough thread to secure the strut enough. Two suspension shops near me. One says strut spacers are ok the other advises against fitting them. 10mm is the limit I would fit.

Coil spacers fit in the strut under the coil spring, some struts have and adjustable base which does the same thing. This is a better way to do it. It is the same as fitting a longer coil spring. The strut works as normal.

Not all struts can have spacers fitted. Ironman do, Outback Armor do if you order the right ones, possibly TJM do, I believe Ultimate ones have an adjustable seat which does the same thing.

In other makes with coils springs and separate shock absorbsers. The coil spacer sits on top of the coil spring.

Fitting a strut spacer will give you "lift". However the coil spring is in a "compressed" position from the extra weight. So performance is reduced. Some say giving a harsh ride. Proper rated coils is a much better way to do it.
L200Shogun

Postby viking shippy on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:34 pm

L200Shogun wrote:
Smj276 wrote:Hi All.

A "strut spacer" sits on top of the strut. It for want of a better description moves the whole strut downwards. The problem is the compression of the strut can be what limits the closed travel not the bump stops. Many on Facebook fit 6, 8 or 10mm ones and claim no ill effects. It would be wise to space the bump stop a little. Some claim that 10mm spacers doesn't really leave enough thread to secure the strut enough. Two suspension shops near me. One says strut spacers are ok the other advises against fitting them. 10mm is the limit I would fit.

Coil spacers fit in the strut under the coil spring, some struts have and adjustable base which does the same thing. This is a better way to do it. It is the same as fitting a longer coil spring. The strut works as normal.

Not all struts can have spacers fitted. Ironman do, Outback Armor do if you order the right ones, possibly TJM do, I believe Ultimate ones have an adjustable seat which does the same thing.

In other makes with coils springs and separate shock absorbsers. The coil spacer sits on top of the coil spring.

Fitting a strut spacer will give you "lift". However the coil spring is in a "compressed" position from the extra weight. So performance is reduced. Some say giving a harsh ride. Proper rated coils is a much better way to do it.

Great advice mate correct and concurred information...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
viking shippy

Return to Suspension