Custom or Off the shelf?

Custom or Off the shelf?

Postby Goplayoutdoors on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Just wondering everyones thoughts on custom vs off the shelf suspension kits?

I'm in the market. A mate was recently telling me how happy he was with his Old Man Emu on 2012 Colorado and explained part of his reason for using them was the ability to get parts or replacements anywhere he may be. I see merit in that line of thinking.

Not having any experience with after market suspension myself, I'm relying heavily on referral and feedback from others in my decision, and it seems hard to look past Ultimate given the amount of users on here who rave about them, though the downside I see is speed/ability for replacement parts whilst away from home.
Goplayoutdoors

Re: Custom or Off the shelf?

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:54 pm

I'd suggest you have a read through the Ultimate Suspension threads.

I had a shock absorber fail in the rear of the Triton. Rang Ultimate about lunchtime and by 4pm they had made another to match the original spec and despatched it. By 9am the next morning it was here.

Also have a look at srb's "Trip of a Lifetime" thread and his experiences with suspension breakages in the outback.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby trouble on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:05 pm

Custom my friend custom!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Custom or Off the shelf?

Postby al coholic on Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:16 pm

Goplayoutdoors wrote:A mate was recently telling me how happy he was with his Old Man Emu on 2012 Colorado and explained part of his reason for using them was the ability to get parts or replacements anywhere he may be. I see merit in that line of thinking.

Really?? :| Think your mate is having himself on :lol:

For example, I can't see every single ARB store Aus wide stocking every single suspension component made by OME, for every single different vehicle out there on the road.
No, more likely they have a customer walk in and book their vehicle in for a kit, ARB then order the kit from OME and install it the following week ;)

Besides, Murphy's law says if you suffer suspension damage, your likely to be hundreds of km's from the nearest ARB store :lol:

I know a few Triton owners that swapped out an Old Man Emu kit for Ultimate....that I think should answer your original question ;) 8-)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby patrolus on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:33 pm

Well I had ome on my old 80 series and I do have to say I was very impressed with it... Sold the car to a mate a few years later and we did the ann beadell (Perth to coober pedy) and he ripped a shockie apart getting airborne .. Now there is no help from arb unless you troll the car to Alice ... We sourced a shock from a rolled 100 series ( very long story) but that kept us going after a few days... I think the suspension was 2nd to none, it had a really hard life and managed it all really well. (Canning, gibb river, kidson track, etc etc etc. ) but for back up reasons .., mhm. Depends where you are going I think...
patrolus

Postby triton_guru on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Custom all the way, kings off road racing shocks ;P
triton_guru

Postby Mark3413 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:47 pm

OME do good stuff for their core market of Toyota, and Nissan! I have driven OME in a ML triton and it was way better than stock! But for "off the shelf" kits, in my opinion and most people with upgrades on this site, which are the die hard tritoneers (there you go, just invented a new word), ultimate is the way to go. I'm not saying they are the absolute best, because I have only driven triton with std, OME and ultimate. But out of those three they are they best! Brendan is great to deal with, I haven't broken anything yet, so first hand don't know about their back up support, but from what I read on this site they are pretty good!
Mark3413
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trouble on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:56 pm

Their support is second to none!
Btw I had OME in my Triton it was crap and have never looked back since replacing that crap with Ultimate's gear!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby hvac guy on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Dms. dial it in the way u like it
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:14 pm

hvac guy wrote:Dms. dial it in the way u like it

Agreed 100%
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DENTED on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:56 am

Custom adjustable coilovers from KDP4x4. Awesome! Well worth it
DENTED

Postby Goplayoutdoors on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:07 am

Appreciate the feed back.

Dropped tyre pressures to 22 yesterday and felt my mud guards were about to hit the ground. Also got caught up on the side rails last weekend so keen to get a slightly lifted susp ASAP.

Stock on the tri feels like a boat after going for a drive in a mates Colorado with after market suspension.0
Goplayoutdoors

Postby SPB on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:32 am

Definetly custom. When buying off the shelf it is designed to suit every Triton bulit. However not all Tritons are the same, just look at this forum for that. And then you have where you drive. You cant compare say someone who spends 90% on the road in Sydney and goes to the Blue Mountains 2 or 3 times a year to a car that goes bush every week. I went for custom to suit my vehicle setup (car sits almost permenatly at 2700kg) and the towing I do. Just because you go custom doesnt mean its hard to replace. Mine are Bilsteins ( I went for them due to having noone reliable to fit Ultimate) which is easy enough to reorder in any major town where all the ARB etc stores are. Murphys law will be that ARB unless a Tojo will have to order the part anyway.
SPB

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:58 am

DENTED wrote:Custom adjustable coilovers from KDP4x4. Awesome! Well worth it

Pictures and Price. Thanks
L200Shogun

Postby DENTED on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:04 am

Will have them in a week. Had a mate using them for last few months have been great. Will post pics as soon as I get them.
They were just over 1400 delivered. 4-6 week turn around as they build them to your needs.
So youtell them the weights etc of your car, bullbar, winch sliders or siderails etc and valve the shocks and set spring rate to suit.
DENTED

Return to Suspension