Clunk coming from rear - 2011 MN

Clunk coming from rear - 2011 MN

Postby Smokey5159 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi guys,
I have a clunking noise in my 2011 MN's left rear quarter that I experience over bumps in the road, and very noticeably - when I'm reversing out of my drive way.
My driveway is flat except for the part that joins the gutter that takes you onto the roadway proper. If you can imagine backing out straight until the rear wheels hit the bitumen, (down the little gutter culvert) then swinging the tail of the ute to the right (to travel left down my street) - the front left wheel second to last to make contact with the road, and then when the front right wheel touches the bitumen (when it finally sits level) this is when I hear a very noticeable clunk in what seems to be the left rear quarter.
The thing is - 12 months ago I had all four shockers replaced (Pedders) as they were soft, so I returned to them the other day to put my ute on their test machine. They couldn't find anything wrong with any of the standard suspension components (shocks, suspension links etc) - they also tightened all the bolts they could see, but it made no difference to the clunk that's still there.
Does anyone have any suggestions where I can look next? The suspension people say that there is nothing unsafe - but I plan to go on a caravan trip in a month, so I don't want any possible issues. Just on that - I don't believe I hear the clunking when my van is attached…
Cheers,
Paul.
P.S. I pulled up the spare tyre as firm as I could as well…
Smokey5159

Re: Clunk coming from rear - 2011 MN

Postby ag9111 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:27 pm

My long range tank was contacting the body when exiting my driveway. Took my a long time to work that one out
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mark3413 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:58 pm

Get underneath with a rubber mallet and start hitting stuff. You will soon find out what is giving you the grief
Mark3413
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:55 pm

even though it sounds like the rear, check the lower control arms in the front. mine used to make a loud clunk similar to what you describe.
Ultimate got about a 1/4 turn on one side when they looked over it.
has not made a sound since
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby furious on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:02 pm

My bash plates were loose after a dealer service and they made a clunk that sound. check the bash plates are tight. I could not move the by hand and it was only by chance I found they were loose.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Smokey5159 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:41 pm

Thanks guys - I'll look at doing what's been mentioned as soon as...

Cheers,
Smokey
Smokey5159

Postby FreestyleCab on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:29 am

You mention there being no rattle when towing, is theTow hitch loose in the towbar (anti rattle bolt missing or loose)?
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Smokey5159 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:28 pm

Hi Freestyle,

Yeah, had thought of that, - still clunks with the hitch taken out. Just thought about what Snoozy mentioned as I came to work tonight. The noise (clunk) happens when the right front wheel touches the roadway - so I guess the point of origin, even though it sounds like the rear, may be the front right suspension. Kinda makes sense that the action of the wheel touching the road would set off a noise - but eh, that's not a cert...
I've got some days off after tonight's shift - so I'll try and get under and have a look. Still not sure what to look for though...

Thanks again guys.
Smokey
Smokey5159

Postby Smokey5159 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:37 am

Guys,

I have an ongoing saga with this clunk I've previously mentioned - but now it has taken a new turn.
I have just come back from a trip in the Vic Alps with my caravan, (I had previously tightened all the bolts under the car I could see - as did the Suspension shop???) and can report that the clunking seemed to go away after travelling with the van behind for a day or so.
The only thing is - one day on our latest trip I unhitched my van and took a 4WD track up a fairly steep mountain (no issues at all on the way up in 4WD low range) and had a rest stop at the top before coming down. It was level ground where we had a coffee break, and I backed the car around to proceed back down the track. As I touched the foot brake going forward (only just after moving off) the car slowed ok, but then there was this BIG clunk immediately after the break was applied - the car stopped just as you would expect, but it was accompanied by a thud sounding clunk, as if something was moving (giving way) after breaking. I couldn't tell if it was front or back, and it happened at least 2 or 3 times when I tested it. We had no other way of exiting this mountain, so I set out with a mind to use the low gearing to get us down with minimal usage of the brake. After 2 or 3 of these clunking occasions as I mentioned - and travelling down maybe 150 metres, the clunking ceased when I applied the brakes, and it didn't happen at all again when we travelled on the flat or with the van on the home trip.

I also must add - that the clunking I've previously mentioned in the posts has seemed to have disappeared (it's also a lot warmer now) - that's what I noted on my first drive into work this morning (minus caravan) anyways...

Regards,
Smokey
Smokey5159

Return to Suspension