How to remove and rotate centre bearing?

How to remove and rotate centre bearing?

Postby Nogga on Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:23 pm

G'day everyone

Sorry if this has been covered but I've done many searches but couldn't find the info I'm chasing.

Long story short, 07 ML Triton, 2inch lift with drive shaft shudder, nothing new there.

I have put a tailshaft spacer and wedges in but still there, so after researching some more, the next step is to flip the centre bearing.

Just wondering how it is done. Do I have to drop the tail shaft at the diff, undo the centre bearing and then slide the centre bearing down the shaft, can I split the shaft at the centre uni joint, or can I do it without detaching the tail shaft?

Any help would be great

Thanks everyone
Nogga

Re: How to remove and rotate centre bearing?

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:11 pm

fridgie wrote:
Sounds easy Fridgie!! ;) do you recommend doing it while your putting the lift in?? what is the centre bearing mod you mention..? <br /><br />What lift do you have and did you have a two piece shaft?? <br /><br />Questions Question Questions :D Sorry!!

I have 2 piece tailshaft and ultimate 2" lift.

Centre bearing: undo 2 nuts, lift tailshaft and rotate housing 180deg (easy to do by hand) then tighten nuts. Done.

Tailshaft spacer: undo 4 bolts, separate shaft from diff and insert spacer, install longer bolts and tighten. (these are pretty tight but manageable to undo)

Did mine by sliding under car while parked in garage. No jacks or ramps needed depending how big you are :lol: :lol:

Greedy wrote:
smeghead wrote:I might need some step by step instructions how to rotate the bearing, cause I am numpty when it comes to things like that... :oops: So if anyone has the time to post that up, I would appreciate it.

Firstly, well done. The ride quality will be so much better now. And the centre bearing is dead easy. All you need is a 14mm spanner and a little bit of muscle.
1. Undo the nuts on the mounting tower.
2. Lift bearing carrier off the bolts and push up and back to get some clearance to rotate bearing
3. Rotate bearing once clearance is available
4. Replace back onto bolts
5. Replace nuts.

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/search.php
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Suspension