KARRMAN DIFF DROP KIT FOR ML MN

Re: KARRMAN DIFF DROP KIT FOR ML MN

Postby Jacobie on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:42 am

braydenc wrote:
triton_guru wrote:Mate karrman kit is the way forward wont need any rewelding or anything :)

Sweet well after the 2 inch lift from ultimate I shall invest

Should only need a diff drop for anything over 2"
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:15 am

A 2" suspension kt is just that.

If you fit the Karrman diff drop then Ultimate can build you the 3.5" suspension to suit.

Then you have to deal with the rear vibration problem.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19398&p=508115#p508115
L200Shogun

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:18 pm

It seems you might be able to get this licensed and engineered in NSW at 3" suspension and 1" from tyres.
L200Shogun

Postby animal-z on Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:20 am

Hi
I'm in the UK . And I believe I am the first in the UK to buy and fit a Karrman diff drop kit after extensive conversations with Nick .
I'm not an engineer or mechanic just an enthusiast , but I will tell you a few things .
From start to finish Nick (charger265 ) went above and beyond with help over the phone and by messenger , to give me all the facts and advice I needed to make the decision to buy this kit .
It was posted out and arrived on my doorstep in less than a week .
The quality is absolutely top class . The welding quality is phenomenal .
It took me 2 days to fit the kit on my driveway (so yes it can be fitted at home once the bushes are pressed into their holes )
Again Nick couldn't have been more helpful with the fitting process . He even rang me at midnight to talk through how to fit different spacers to get the most ,yet safest , movement from my suspension .
I've had it on almost 2 weeks now and the ride has improved dramatically . My truck is lifted about 6inches in total (2" body lift and 4" suspension ) and before fitting the kit I was riding my front bump stops . Now I my cv joints are sitting straight and I have a few inches of down travel on the suspension still .
Overall I can't recommend the kit and Nick enough .
I would post pictures but I don't know how , but if you look at the Karrman 4x4 facebook page , you will see my truck posted on there .
animal-z

Postby Jacobie on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:27 am

animal-z, Thanks for the review mate. I myself am looking at getting the diff drop Kit as I've heard some very good things about Nicks product!
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby animal-z on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:00 am

You won't be disappointed .
It would be much easier to get it fitted on a lift with air tools . But I was fitting it when my wife allowed me 5 minutes , my brother even popped round to lend a hand even though he's not really a truck guy lol
animal-z

Postby triton_guru on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:01 pm

I can say first hand that this diff drop is brilliant ucas look strong as hell, if i didnt do the solid axle swap i would of definitely gone down this path :)
triton_guru

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:56 pm

You do realise what first hand means?
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby ag9111 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:59 pm

LOL
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton_guru on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:15 pm

4wd26 wrote:You do realise what first hand means?

Sure do... do you? And is this relevant to the thread?
triton_guru

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:00 pm

I don't really do FB but the last time I tried to have a look over there I couldn't find anything concrete on approval, this being on of Nick's stated intentions. So, the question remains in my mind "Is it approved?". Even type approval?

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt the quality but to install one that doesn't have type approval means that each person who buys the kit would have to get their own engineering done. Or not worry about it, of course.

Personally I wouldn't take the risk with the second option while the first means that you're at the whim of the engineer, a situation I wouldn't like to be in - it's a lot of money to take that risk, for me anyway.

So, does it have type approval or, if not, are there known cases where it has been given approval?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Stoneman on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:23 pm

animal-z wrote:Hi
I'm in the UK . And I believe I am the first in the UK to buy and fit a Karrman diff drop kit after extensive conversations with Nick .
I'm not an engineer or mechanic just an enthusiast , but I will tell you a few things .
From start to finish Nick (charger265 ) went above and beyond with help over the phone and by messenger , to give me all the facts and advice I needed to make the decision to buy this kit .
It was posted out and arrived on my doorstep in less than a week .
The quality is absolutely top class . The welding quality is phenomenal .
It took me 2 days to fit the kit on my driveway (so yes it can be fitted at home once the bushes are pressed into their holes )
Again Nick couldn't have been more helpful with the fitting process . He even rang me at midnight to talk through how to fit different spacers to get the most ,yet safest , movement from my suspension .
I've had it on almost 2 weeks now and the ride has improved dramatically . My truck is lifted about 6inches in total (2" body lift and 4" suspension ) and before fitting the kit I was riding my front bump stops . Now I my cv joints are sitting straight and I have a few inches of down travel on the suspension still .
Overall I can't recommend the kit and Nick enough .
I would post pictures but I don't know how , but if you look at the Karrman 4x4 facebook page , you will see my truck posted on there .

The few times I have spoken to Nick he's been more than helpful
from what I've seen the kit looks pretty good.
Stoneman

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:37 am

NowForThe5th wrote:I don't really do FB but the last time I tried to have a look over there I couldn't find anything concrete on approval, this being on of Nick's stated intentions. So, the question remains in my mind "Is it approved?". Even type approval?

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt the quality but to install one that doesn't have type approval means that each person who buys the kit would have to get their own engineering done. Or not worry about it, of course.

Personally I wouldn't take the risk with the second option while the first means that you're at the whim of the engineer, a situation I wouldn't like to be in - it's a lot of money to take that risk, for me anyway.

So, does it have type approval or, if not, are there known cases where it has been given approval?

I didn't want to open this can of worms again, but I agree. There was a lot of talk about how these would be an approved product, and even after looking on FB, I found no statement regarding this.

From my experience with engineering vehicle mods (in NSW only) I would have trouble getting those upper control arms through. The engineers that I use would want to see a lot of evidence in the manufacturing process and testing before they would even look at them. At the end of the day, the approving engineer is the one carrying the liability. Times have changed since the days of "anything goes", and a lot of engineers got burnt on signing off on things that the RTA later deemed illegal. In this litigious society, none of them will risk passing things that they even have a shadow of doubt over.

When we are designing a new product at work, we have to take the approvals process into account, and design the product to pass. A lot of time and $$$ then gets spent on analysis and destructive testing at an accredited facility. Sometimes this means design compromise, but that's just the way it goes. It would be great to skip this lengthy and expensive procedure, but without the documentation to prove that the product meets standards, it's just a fancy paperweight.

I'm sure that Nick will have put a lot of effort into the design and manufacture, but this needs to be translated into the required paperwork. Has anyone got a vehicle through engineering in NSW with these UCAs fitted? If so, it would be good to know what supporting documentation was required.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton_guru on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:30 pm

charger265 wrote:
BillMcQuade wrote:
charger265 wrote:I have stated the facts in many places..
Here will not be one of them as I no longer wish to be apart of a forum that manipulates content...
And allows members to target misguided information on one product but lets clear violations of the law slip with another (EGR resistor mod)

Thankyou for allowing me to have my say...

To be fair, an EGR mod, is illegal. The significant difference is; it doesn't have the potential to affect the safety or stability of the vehicle.

IMHO, people would be genuinely interested in a fully legal diff-drop.

I am well familiar with what it takes to get products engineered, and would be interested in what you have discovered. Perhaps instead of retreating into a defensive position and calling foul, you should state the facts as you see them. A well constructed argument, backed up by documented facts will clearly put the matter to rest. If people shoot you down, why would you care, if what you have to say is factual, it would be their loss.

Not on this forum... no more... I will not be apart of this discussion.

Members of this forum have set out from the start to discredit this product and have tried to tarnish my reputation.
The way content is manipulated and deleted when truths come out is just wrong... The actions of major members here are questionable with their motives and are biased to favoritism.

This is not a forum i wish to have any debate or discussions about any product or subject as for the reasons quoted above...

Please not all posts are screen shot

I think you will find that this is why no information has been published by nick on this product on this site.

Also i would like to mention that when you buy suspension from arb ultimate or what ever you accept that all the testing etc has been done even though they do not tell you all the results or give you all the details and i think this is part of protecting their r and d processes etc so asking for that sort of information wont go down well.

And until anyone has confirmation of whether the kit is engineered or not you are just assuming and you knkw what they say about assumptions.

Nick has gone above and beyond with this product and had it been an ultimate diff drop kit i have no doubt the mods would be talking it up.

Lastly as nick stated the product would not be sold by him unless it has passed eveything so have a think about that.
triton_guru

Postby Homer on Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:41 am

Nick has said a lot of things.
The only things written which I am privy to the actual facts and reality have been his numerous comments on manipulated and deleted content.
So basing my position on his numerous comments and insistence regarding those particular things he says of which I am completely informed and have first hand knowlege of, I would suggest that taking him at his word on everything he either assumes, predicts or anticipates would be a somewhat gullible outlook.

I have no problem with him or this product whatsoever. Absolutely none at all. In fact the principal and reasoning behind it I think is very good and a positive improvement for the new series Tritons for years to come once any bugs etc are ironed out. They may well already be ironed out :)

I do have a problem with truth and slander. And a smaller issue with pettiness and sulking. But that's just me ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:46 am

Nick has very effectively divided this forum on this topic with his games. I was initially suspicious of "another diff drop kit", but Nick made some convincing statements, sprinkled with the right engineering terms and QA pledges. He was adamant that the product would receive some sort of compliance. I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and support his efforts, however, when asked about the compliance process by myself and others, he consistently tried to paint these enquires as an attack on him. The only content manipulation on this site is by Nick himself. He uses conspiracy theories to duck the simple answer to the simple question, thus sending the thread off-topic.

On the certifications of other products (eg Ultimate), I guarantee that if a customer walks in there and needs document support on the products that they have purchased from them, they would get it. Ken is an engineer that stands behind his products, and they have provided nothing but good support and open dialogue to this forum. In reality, there is no protecting their R&D, once you have bought the product, you can reverse engineer it all you like. But Ultimate are selling more than suspension components, they are trading on many years of service and experience. However, it's not really fair to cover replacement shocks/springs with a diff drop kit.

To compare apples with apples, I know for a fact that Ultimate invest a lot of money in paying for professional drivers to track test their products, for brake and swerve, and test the interaction with the ASC. When I was picking up my kit, Ian Luff was in the workshop reporting on track testing, and that type of testing doesn't come cheap. If Nick had done this, he would be crowing about it.

I have seen too many people attempt to undermine the system because they feel that it is to costly and time consuming to do it the right way. Having first hand experience of product compliance, and vehicle engineering, I am well aware of some of the really petty and detailed crap it takes to get things on the market. There are reasons for this; the end user has the knowledge that the product has been certified as fit for it's intended use. I design a lot of products, and hold a couple of US patents, which is an unbelievably expensive and time consuming process (5 years for patent approval), but it has to be done if you want to be part of mainstream product engineering. So by the time that the people who follow the rules have launched their product, you have years of work and an eye-watering amount of money already sunk into the project. You hope and pray that one day you will see that money back, and that no-one tries to flood the ebay market with a knock-off.

I assure you that there is a bucketload of R&D and IP that go into the products at my workplace, but if a customer wants to see evidence of the compliance documents as part of their ISO/QA/duty of care, we send them straight over, with pride. If the rest of us have to pay big dollars to get our products complied, why should others be able to duck this responsibility?

As I said, the state of the compliance process is a very simple question to answer, and would have saved a few pages of this thread. Even if you aren't there yet, but have made some progress, people will understand the effort that you are going to. Something along the lines of;

"Hey gents, made some promising inroads today; had a mechanical engineer sign off on the design. Since I'll also be using a manufacturing facility that is ISO accredited, the product will be awesome. Can't wait to get it on the market!"

This is the type of statement that would get great support from everyone, and build brand integrity.

So yes, I am making assumptions here, but in the absence of information, it's pretty hard to do otherwise.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:53 am

well said bill
nick needs to step up and just answer the questions
if a work in progress then just say it is
it will get there one day i hope for the rest of you me personally i dont wont or need it
but i hope it all works out in the end for you all
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton_guru on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:03 am

I dont think you guys realize that nick is not going to post anymore information on this forum so if you want answers to these questions you need to contact him directly.
triton_guru

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:18 am

Maybe it's time to lock the thread then?

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby explorer.dave on Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:44 am

BillMcQuade wrote:Maybe it's time to lock the thread then?

No sorry Bill but disagree, it will only be a short time before a new thread is started asking the same questions. This thread does serve a purpose, it allows people to read through the posts and make their own minds up about the product. It also allows Nick the opportunity to clarify / update on the engineering / compliance questions if he so chooses.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony81 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:52 pm

I set a message to Nick on Facebook and his reply was that yes they do come with engineering certificates.

He won't be getting on here soon or ever to let everyone know as of things that have happened in the past.

I believe this is unfortunate as i am sure some may agree but that's how it is.

So YES they do come with engineering certificates.
Last edited by Tony81 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Unless it has changed recently. The two people I know that have brought the kit don't have any supporting paperwork.
L200Shogun

Postby animal-z on Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:21 pm

Sorry if I caused any problems with my post .
I only posted to let you know my experience with Nick and the product. I think the problem is that in the UK we are not tied into the same strict guidelines as you are lot are , we tend to be able to bolt virtually anything to our vehicles with no problems . It's only if we make major chassis or body modifications that we have to get vosa to inspect it and sign ofvthat the works been done to a high standard and made it roadworthy .
I know when I bought my kit Nick told me each kit is certified and stamped with its own individual serial number , they don't come with physical paperwork unless you specifically request it .
As I said I'm nothing to do with Nick or Karrman , I'm just happy with the kit and the help I received .
Steve
animal-z

Postby Tony on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Interesting, I'm over in UK and some other parts of Europe now and have found some guidelines somewhat prohibitive with these modifications and certainly reads to me must be certified. In saying that, plenty of what appear to be modified 4X4s around. Your guys who do MOT not worry too much if notice changes?
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony81 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:33 pm

Well I'll be buggered ;) ;)

For someone who only entered a Facebook comp thinking there is no way I'll win this... oh well got to be in it to win it..... I won :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Got the phone call last Monday sent Nick my details and 2 days later there was a courier at my door with a new present.... 8-) 8-)

To say i was shocked is an understatement but totally stoked, now just need to get some coin up to upgrade the stock suspension so I can use it.
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension