Suspension/Body Noise - MN Dual Cab

Suspension/Body Noise - MN Dual Cab

Postby red dragin on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:02 pm

Posted in the "ask here first" thread but got no takers. Thought I'd start a thread to gain more attention.

2015 MN Dual Cab.

Have a click/clunk/knock noise coming from the front right quarter of the car (drivers seat forward). Only happens when slowing down, doesn't matter if in or out of gear, doesn't make it on bumps.

We've put car on hoist, checked all the nuts and bolts etc. Nothing particularly loose (1/16 a turn at most - rear left shackle), now the sound happens at a higher speed (used to be just before stopping) and more frequently. We've disturbed something but don't know if it is a bolt we've moved, or just going up on the hoist. Checked the factory bash plate, all tight. Can feel it in the floor but not through the steering.

Search didn't reveal too much aside from the bash plate suggestion.

If it was a older Commondore I'd describe it as a similar sound to a broken swaybar link or shock top bearing, but it is neither of these.

Don't want to waste time with the dealers, my father is a retired mechanic with a hoist at home. At the least I would like to identify it before taking it to a dealer, preference is to fix it if it is a loose bolt.
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

Re: Suspension/Body Noise - MN Dual Cab

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:15 pm

Have you checked your F.R brake assembly? Take the wheel off and see if some-thing has loosened.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby red dragin on Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:21 pm

explorer.dave wrote:Have you checked your F.R brake assembly? Take the wheel off and see if some-thing has loosened.

Yes, all tight. Sorry should have added that.

Was first thing checked after a friends son asked me once "my brakes clunk when I use them, any ideas" and I swung the caliper up as the bottom bolt had fallen out from the pad change done the night before.

red dragin

Postby ADM013 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:26 pm

I had a loose lower control arm bolt. Can't remember which side but it would make a clunk when I turned hard one way and backed up. If you had it on a hoist it was probably the first one you tightened though.
ADM013

Postby paddstar69 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:53 pm

I had a body knock from the LHR of the cabin. Would only make the noise over certain bumps ( on the tarmac ). It took me ages and plenty of back seat riding to locate it. It was coming from the LHR body to chassis mount, removed the mounting bolt and added some grease to the inside of the rubber bush. Noise gone. I am not sure if the front body/chassis mounts are the same. Maybe even put a spanner over them all. Hope this helps :)
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:00 pm

Are they standard shocks on your rig, ive put aftermarket struts on the front and now i have a light clunk over bumps its really annoying to the point where i might put the standard pencils back on :oops:
mad992

Postby boatpc on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:17 am

Upper control arms
boatpc

Postby red dragin on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:06 am

boatpc wrote:Upper control arms

Bush, bolt, all of the above? Can't remember how thoroughly we checked those, but they are accessible when the car is on the ground so will have a look.

Mad992 - aside from a reverse camera and brake controller the truck is standard. It's for towing more than off road use.

red dragin

Postby boatpc on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:55 am

Sorry red, i was more pointing towards mad.

I had a lift fitted and months later developed a knock clunk feel on braking which also later turned into a 105k+ shudder.

Put a spanner on the upper control arm bolt/nut (which felt tight) and got quarter/half turn. Was passenger side and all fixed.

You mentioned you can hear yours at speed whereas mine was a slight shudder over the 105k and the Knock was on coming to a stop, brake hard at slow speed and knock felt through the floor. Might still be worth rerunning a spanner over
boatpc

Postby mad992 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:46 pm

Cheers Boat will check that mate . Hey Red maybe its time for the dealer mate as yours is all stock so pin them for that. ;)
mad992

Postby red dragin on Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Might just take it up Mt Mee on Tuesday and see what falls off :lol:

red dragin

Postby red dragin on Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:25 pm

Update if anyone is interested.

Took it over Bellthorpe Range, along South Goods Rd and out Gregor Rd/cow track.

A good thrashing seemed to sort the noise out, or there's mud in there keeping it quiet :lol:

Still no idea what it was caused by.

red dragin

Return to Suspension