MN GVM upgrade??????

MN GVM upgrade??????

Postby alian on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:19 am

Is there any guys on the Eastern side of Australia doing a GVM upgrade for the MN Tritons???
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Re: MN GVM upgrade??????

Postby mattz on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:58 am

Get in contact with ultimate suspension......if anyone would know about it, they would.
Personally.....id be looking for something else rather than upgrade the triton GVM
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby alian on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:02 pm

mattz wrote:Get in contact with ultimate suspension......if anyone would know about it, they would.
Personally.....id be looking for something else rather than upgrade the triton GVM

Looking at all options at the moment
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:08 pm

ultimate upgraded the GVM of a ML but the gain was only around 150kg

the axle loading of the triton is already near the GVM and that will be the limit any suspension company is able to go as it is still within the manufacturer limits
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:11 pm

L200Shogun

Postby ultimate on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:10 pm

As 4wd26 pointed out; we can only increase the GVM by approximately 150kg. This takes it up to the combined front and rear axle capacity.

You can go through the engineering process for a GVM upgrade with most state approved signatories. Your local transport authority should have a list of signatories on their website.

Independent engineers will have different views and requirements for GVM Upgrades. As a general rule, most will not exceed the combined axle capacity without getting the diff housings and internals strengthened. In a lot of cases, extra modifications like brake upgrades and chassis/suspension reinforcements will also be required.

We do a lot of engineering in house as Ken is a certified VSCCS engineer with NSW RMS. With our own kits, we will not exceed the factory axle capacities unless major modifications have been completed.

We do have the option of using Lovell's kits on some vehicles though. These are generally fitted before the vehicle is registered and increases the GVM above the axle capacity.

For example; On the VDJ79 series Landcruiser, the highest we go with an Ultimate Suspension upgrade is 3780kg (Up 480kg from factory GVM of 3300kg). The Lovell's kit increases it to 3900kg (600kg increase). With this upgrade, the vehicle essentially becomes a Lovell's VDJ79 series Landcruiser with Toyota accepting limited liability for drivetrain and chassis components.

Unfortunately Lovell's don't have a kit for the Triton due to low volume, but we may see one in the future.

Please keep in mind that GVM upgrades do not increase the GCM. If you are loaded to the GVM (especially a new higher GVM), you have a reduced towing capacity to remain within the GCM.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby alian on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:53 am

ultimate wrote:As 4wd26 pointed out; we can only increase the GVM by approximately 150kg. This takes it up to the combined front and rear axle capacity.

You can go through the engineering process for a GVM upgrade with most state approved signatories. Your local transport authority should have a list of signatories on their website.

Independent engineers will have different views and requirements for GVM Upgrades. As a general rule, most will not exceed the combined axle capacity without getting the diff housings and internals strengthened. In a lot of cases, extra modifications like brake upgrades and chassis/suspension reinforcements will also be required.

We do a lot of engineering in house as Ken is a certified VSCCS engineer with NSW RMS. With our own kits, we will not exceed the factory axle capacities unless major modifications have been completed.

We do have the option of using Lovell's kits on some vehicles though. These are generally fitted before the vehicle is registered and increases the GVM above the axle capacity.

For example; On the VDJ79 series Landcruiser, the highest we go with an Ultimate Suspension upgrade is 3780kg (Up 480kg from factory GVM of 3300kg). The Lovell's kit increases it to 3900kg (600kg increase). With this upgrade, the vehicle essentially becomes a Lovell's VDJ79 series Landcruiser with Toyota accepting limited liability for drivetrain and chassis components.

Unfortunately Lovell's don't have a kit for the Triton due to low volume, but we may see one in the future.

Please keep in mind that GVM upgrades do not increase the GCM. If you are loaded to the GVM (especially a new higher GVM), you have a reduced towing capacity to remain within the GCM.

Thanks for that. I dont really care about GCM as I will not get there with my Camper. I am tossing up with replacing the vehicle as we are on the point of GVM legality the last time we weighed it heading out. The car sits and tows really well on the dirt,gravel as well as the bitumen. Breaking the chassis shouldnt be a problem as you can weld chassis plates onto it. Power is the only other thing, a little more off the mark would be great (as always ). It sounds like I hate my Triton but that is not the case. And with DPF problems other manufactures are having buying a new car could end with Problems that We dont have with our vehicle. The only car out there now that dosnt have a DPF is the D-Max and dont think that it will be long before they will have as well.
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jerrah on Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:31 pm

alian wrote:And with DPF problems other manufactures are having
Other than unverified things you hear on the internet what issues are people having?
jerrah

Postby triton_guru on Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:18 pm

I think you should just do the necessary modifications to get your triton to where you want it to be mate, once you look at the costs of things like selling your car and the money you would have lost plus buying a new car youll find that spending money on yours will be a cheaper option. Well thats what i found anyways and hence why i did a sas. You can get really good power out of the mns and gvm upgrade shouldnt be too difficult i believe my gvm was increased due to using nissan patrol diffs maybe some sort of diff swap will help?
triton_guru

Postby alian on Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:29 am

jerrah wrote:
alian wrote:And with DPF problems other manufactures are having
Other than unverified things you hear on the internet what issues are people having?

I am not about to bag other manufacturers, but some seem to be having trouble with there newer models with the introduction of the dpf, all the info is out there, mainly in closed forums.
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mickkk on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:22 am

The problem is, trying to find something with a decent GVM, there all much the same. Dual cab cruiser with GVM up grade will give you about 1440 kg carrying capacity (from memory, I went through all this when I upgraded 10 months ago).
But it's a big step back it time, and a turning circle of a cruise liner. And will put an 100k hole in ya pocket.
Ranger have about 1120 carrying capacity, and can get an extra 130 to 150 kgs.
Triton had about 980 carrying capacity and can get the extra 130 to 150 kgs too.

If you want a serious tourer with huge GVM could look at a Iveco daily. Only down side is its tall at 2.7 m high ( but that is with 37's. Will also burn a 100 k hole in ya pocket, but pretty much set up out of the factory. Very costly to get parts for it tho.

Every thing is a compromise. It's a hard balancing act, not soo bad if you are happy to tow a camper trailer. Offload as much weight you can to ya trailer to keep ya car legal. But I wanted to avoid it. How much over ya GVM are you fully loaded?
mickkk

Postby alian on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:54 am

mickkk wrote:The problem is, trying to find something with a decent GVM, there all much the same. Dual cab cruiser with GVM up grade will give you about 1440 kg carrying capacity (from memory, I went through all this when I upgraded 10 months ago).
But it's a big step back it time, and a turning circle of a cruise liner. And will put an 100k hole in ya pocket.
Ranger have about 1120 carrying capacity, and can get an extra 130 to 150 kgs.
Triton had about 980 carrying capacity and can get the extra 130 to 150 kgs too.

If you want a serious tourer with huge GVM could look at a Iveco daily. Only down side is its tall at 2.7 m high ( but that is with 37's. Will also burn a 100 k hole in ya pocket, but pretty much set up out of the factory. Very costly to get parts for it tho.

Every thing is a compromise. It's a hard balancing act, not soo bad if you are happy to tow a camper trailer. Offload as much weight you can to ya trailer to keep ya car legal. But I wanted to avoid it. How much over ya GVM are you fully loaded?

The ability to get a ARB GVM upgrade of 270kgs on the D-max makes them appealing.
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sav on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:34 pm

What's the GVM of the Triton as is? How many mods before it's over?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk
Sav

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:15 am

The gvm of the tritons are very close to 3 tonne
Vehicle weighs a bit under 2 as left factory

Very difficult with just accessories to be over

I run full bar work, dual batteries larger tyres and sit around 2400

Full Fridge 4 adults and 300 kg ball weight and I'd go over

But those are extremes and don't happen in my real world

I have towed a 2 tonne van fully loaded up with the family and gear for 2 weeks and gone over a weighbridge
I was legal in every aspect
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:09 am

mickkk wrote:If you want a serious tourer with huge GVM could look at a Iveco daily. Only down side is its tall at 2.7 m high ( but that is with 37's. Will also burn a 100 k hole in ya pocket, but pretty much set up out of the factory. Very costly to get parts for it tho.

This made me look at the Iveco website. The dual cab, 4x4 daily is now on my "if I win Lotto" list. What a machine :shock:

24 forward gears, LOL.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:39 am

What about 40" tyres legal
Click to view larger picture
Visited a factory last week, finalising my design items for the next vehicle

Shame it's still a few years away yet
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:30 pm

It makes those tyres look small :lol:
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sav on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:02 pm

4wd26 wrote:The gvm of the tritons are very close to 3 tonne
Vehicle weighs a bit under 2 as left factory

Very difficult with just accessories to be over

I run full bar work, dual batteries larger tyres and sit around 2400

Full Fridge 4 adults and 300 kg ball weight and I'd go over

But those are extremes and don't happen in my real world

I have towed a 2 tonne van fully loaded up with the family and gear for 2 weeks and gone over a weighbridge
I was legal in every aspect

Thanks mate good to know. As I still have things I want to add

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk
Sav

Return to Suspension